Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 136

Author Topic: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell - Please do not feed the nobles  (Read 555896 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell - On the Edge of Pandemonium
« Reply #1245 on: January 06, 2013, 05:17:30 pm »

Eh, just remove all the storage containers from the hospital; then the doctors will need to go collect thread and cloth when a proceedure comes up, and can't stockpile it beforehand, which keeps it free for anyone to use. They'll still try to use adamantine thread, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: January 06, 2013, 05:34:02 pm »

Got an answer from LordSlowpoke. Says he'll finish up tuesday.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: January 08, 2013, 09:59:12 am »

Yeah, wrote so.

Been posting from a peculiar combination of laptop/tablet/whatever had charge at the moment due to devices failing on me spectacularly - including a hard drive in my tower, where I had the save. Dropbox is a glorious thing however, which means I -only- got reverted to mid-summer. Six hours look like a reasonable estimate as to when the save will be uploaded, eight if my upload speed decides to not be cooperative today. My name's holding true as to the speed, for once.

Sorry to be keeping you waiting, again.

Edit: i do not know what this hd change did, but i'm getting 42 fps. what the christ.

Edit2: Heeeere we go!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:00:05 pm by LordSlowpoke »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: January 11, 2013, 10:30:04 am »

Informed Silverlock of turn.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: January 11, 2013, 08:04:54 pm »

I have pulled it down (to my PC at work) and I have started trying to decipher the gobbledygook on the screen.  (I usually use graphics and am rusty on the native pseudo-ASCII representation.)  I will probably pull it down to my home computer for actual gameplay, assuming I have the time with my daughter and possibly my wife ill. 

So far, a few things of note:

1) We have 53 live citizens.
2) Several ghostly former citizens wandering around.  (No surprise there.)
3) Spishaban is our sheriff.  Of all of his desired holdings -- Modest Office, Cabinet, etc. -- he has exactly two: Quarters and a Grave.  This is an ill omen for our Janitor Sheriff.
4) Nexusv is a bit of a paradox: she "doesn't really care about anything anymore" but is ecstatic.  She has been haunted by the dead recently but apparently a nice bath made it all right.  All of this is moot, however, as she cannot breathe due to a fractured middle spine.  At least she is ecstatic while she is suffocating. 
5) There is no current "Silverlock."  This shall not stand!
6) Any of you single dwarves out there should try to hook up with Newbunkle, especially if you like them buff:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Or, if you prefer the more retiring type, Clover Magic -- that would be Clover Magic Evertreaty, not Clover Magic Bowedfence, who is male -- is certainly comely enough:
And, if you are into the kinkier stuff, there's always Urist:
7) Pyro is in a hurting way:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:34:34 pm by Silverlock »
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: January 11, 2013, 09:22:07 pm »

Nexusv: "I'm" *cough* "so" *cough* *wheeze* "happy!"

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: January 11, 2013, 10:07:49 pm »

-snip-

yeah i'm pretty horrible for not having provided some things of note myself

First off, I make a DWR that bends the current system in that giant water hole area, under the note "The Derp Engine". I don't know how it works. It does.

The well is actually a ticking timebomb that's going to doom us all, and I noticed it mere minutes after uploading the save. Jolly good, isn't it? Always good to leave something you think is completely secure... bah. There's Fun in sight, alright.

Silverlock - you should wall off that horribly mined out z-level once all the sphalerite and gems are moved out in order to increase FPS. Consider removing burrows on the areas that aren't actually in use, should do the same? In theory, at least. Non-dwarves may still try and path through there, and it's pathfinding hell, alright. On another note, you might have noticed you have a lot of available dwarfings, but on even another note, make sure you actually lock the front door. I left it open all year, to be frank, since I thought somebody hooked up that platinum drawbridge to a lever and pulled it. Imagine my surprise when the first caravan waltzed in nonchalantly. Now if that were the goblins, I'd have something to write home about. After that, I (obviously) failed to make sure that's finished before the goblins came, all with their two squads and all, pretty underwhelming considering they sent something like 12 snatchers and thieves over the year, in two waves, during summer and winter. We've got a tamed GCS, GCS are awesome, I think it died making sure our horrible militia had a fighting chance against hammergobs who cleared our just about our entire unlife supply. Well, that's a derailed train of thought if I've ever seen one.

You've got about three thousand bars of zinc and a thousand bars of copper, I put in a bit of orders to make brass out of these, too. Go nuts.

e: the plural of thief is thieves, blargh
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:10:11 pm by LordSlowpoke »

Dinjoralo

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% more pronounceable than the leading brand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: January 11, 2013, 11:04:02 pm »

4) Nexusv is a bit of a paradox: she "doesn't really care about anything anymore" but is ecstatic.  She has been haunted by the dead recently but apparently a nice bath made it all right.  All of this is moot, however, as she cannot breathe due to a fractured middle spine.  At least she is ecstatic while she is suffocating. 

Ahhh... it's good to be back. I hope things start picking up, since school started, I've been having more and more cravings for bloody carnage, and seeing that has made my day.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: January 11, 2013, 11:06:06 pm »

OK, after looking through the fortress for a bit, I can confirm that I have no idea what is going on or where anything is.  In other words, situation normal for me, Dwarf Fortress, and Horrorfailed in particular.  I won't have any time to play tonight (daughter has a stomach bug of some sort), and maybe not tomorrow night.  I will take a shot at it the first chance I get, though.  I promise.

Thanks for the tips, Lord Slowpoke.  I see that we have a stock of 132 brass bars already, which should be good for something such as making me some nice statues or the like.

SL
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: January 12, 2013, 09:23:02 am »

I see that we have a stock of 132 brass bars already, which should be good for something such as making me some nice statues or the like.

The fort must be plated in brass! Our bling shall shine so bright, it'll blind the gods themselves!

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: January 12, 2013, 07:27:47 pm »

You know, when reading Failcannon the metaplot with Lur Thiefwitch and Andreus always interested me more than the actual turns.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: January 13, 2013, 10:08:09 am »

We've got a tamed GCS, GCS are awesome, I think it died making sure our horrible militia had a fighting chance against hammergobs who cleared our just about our entire unlife supply.
The spider had a name, it was Ezzuslo, "Lenshelm." Obviously our next course of action should be to resurrect it as a zombie giant cave spider. (corpse is in the trap hallway btw)

I also recommend building a raised platform from which we can dump corpses out onto the tundra. Or a minecart propelled corpse cannon. That way we don't have to rely on vampire necromancers.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:56:47 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: January 13, 2013, 12:23:47 pm »

Or a minecart propelled corpse cannon.

It has cannon in it. Thus, it needs to exist.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: January 13, 2013, 01:06:17 pm »

Or a minecart propelled corpse cannon.
It has cannon in it. Thus, it needs to exist.

This cannon must now be canon. It has minecart !!science!!, and zombies, so I approve.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: January 15, 2013, 02:31:31 pm »

This is a minor update.  I haven't even played half a month yet.  The daughter is no longer sick, though, and I am mostly caught up from the holiday rush, so I hope to get some more time to play tonight.

Dorfed (so far):
GoombaGeek
Splint
Dinjoralo
hostergaard
Urist Imiknoriss
Dorfitron
Inspiredsimji

Let me know if any of the nicknames or anything need to be changed.  I will try to dorf some more folks later.

Here is the intro to my turn.  I started off with a sort of film noir flavor, but it sort of mutated into Jacques Clouseau, with occasional trips back and forth and into other side areas.  It wouldn't surprise me if a Looney Tunes reference came flying out at some point.  I really should have decided all this before I started typing.

Case Log

19 Limestone, 510, Lostdoor

Evening in the dwarven burrow that never sleeps.  I was in my office, knocking back a slug of sewer brew, when there was a knock on the door.  I quickly put away the mug and the barrel, reached under my desk, and silently disengaged the safety on my Orrin & Company Model 753 "Dhey-Zee" crossbow.  It was silent because I clean and oil it every day: you never know when your piece might be needed for "convincing" a "concerned citizen" to freely unburden his mind.  To "talk."  To "squeal."  To "sing."  It also comes in handy for keeping people from complaining that I use too many "quote marks," whatever those are.  Probably something tough and worldly, like my attitude and my reputation.

To tell the truth, the safety isn't even connected to anything; it's just a piece of wood I attached to the stock so I would have something to toggle in a meaningful fashion when something was about to go down.  I held the weapon under the desk and pointed it at the door.  (I cut out the front of the desk a few years back and replaced the wood panel with one made from rope reed fiber.  I painted it to make it indistinguishable from the original wood, as long as you don't look directly at it or you're blind.)

"Enter."

A young messenger -- couldn't have been more than 50 years old -- opened the door, stepped inside, and inquired, "Mr... 'Spectre?'"

"'Inspector,' not 'Spectre,'" I corrected, "and it's "Chief Inspector, and it's not my name.  It's part of my job.  I investigate things.  Privately."  I pushed my fedora back off my forehead and lit up a stogie.  trying to distract him before he asked why I called myself by a Ministry of Justice title when I am not a public servant, I proffered him the box: "Cigar?"

"Yes, it is," he said, staring at my hat and trench coat.  "Why are you dressed that way?"

I started to spin him a yarn about the old days, but I could see he was eyeing me warily, so I desisted. "Cease eyeing me warily and tell me what you need."

He showed me a stone tablet, rune-writ, and read from it, "Silverlock, you are summoned to appear before King Avuz this day.  Fail not to appear on pain of death."

Then he grinned at me and held out his hand for a tip.

"...Dibs on the pick."
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 136