Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 136

Author Topic: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell - Please do not feed the nobles  (Read 550997 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell (BATTLEFAILED 4) - It lives
« Reply #405 on: September 03, 2012, 10:31:42 pm »

I'm going to explain my theory in a spoiler tag for those not wanting to know right away

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 03, 2012, 11:43:55 pm »

Biological test chamber. I still want to know whether either material is deadly on it's own, because I definitely never saw fatalities from contact with just the muck.

One fatal flaw in your design, Aussie: exposing water to the surface of the tundra (where both the mist and muck are isolated) will result in ice. Non-contaminated ice, or at least not contaminated in a manner that would permit the transport of the contaminants for scientific or defensive purposes. We would have to have a magma chamber underneath the collection chamber and around the adjacent pump lifting water up to it, in order to provide any amount of contaminated water exposed to the surface. The next best solution I can think of is a honeycomb-like underground area where there are enough grates in the ceiling to get some mist to mix with water, while all of it is still underground. How many z-levels of aquifer-free soil do we have under the tundra again? Two?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 03, 2012, 11:50:11 pm »

Three.  I am aware of the local temperature issues at Horrorfailed, I only meant it as a general theory.

The Nefarious Mist _IS_ deadly on it's own.  I saw a dwarf pass through it in my year and he rotted away in days.  The Fetid Muck, however, is only a temorary illness.  The dwarves will blister all over for a time, but heal after some bedrest.

It's not intended as a test chamber, but rather as a collector.  The tainted water is drained from the trap to a holding tank and sent wherever it will do the most good/bad/amusement.  Incidentally, do screwpumps carry contaminants, or do they act as a filter?  Also, will minecarts passing down into a tank of contaminated water carry the contaminant as well?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:29:11 am by ThatAussieGuy »

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 04, 2012, 09:22:27 am »

Incidentally, do screwpumps carry contaminants, or do they act as a filter?
They act as filters.

We would have to have a magma chamber underneath the collection chamber and around the adjacent pump lifting water up to it
Only above and below magma thaws water, magma on the sides does nothing but look good.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:25:03 am by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 04, 2012, 09:24:11 am »

Incidentally, do screwpumps carry contaminants, or do they act as a filter?
They act as filters.

I thought as much.  What about minecarts?

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 04, 2012, 09:28:38 am »

No idea.
I have not had time to play 34.xx since minecarts were added.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 04, 2012, 12:40:36 pm »

if you could access magma before implementing the project you could cast an obsidian ceiling a few (or a lot) z-levels up over an area of the surface. If you then channel out the top layer of the surface you will have a non-freezing, subterranean surface lab on which to build. I don't know if the muck would return but the mist should still propagate under the ceiling.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 04, 2012, 04:24:29 pm »

Anyone considered a surface Trade Depot? With a ring of floodgates to close it off from the zombies and a dual hatch system to let us out without letting them in?

Of course it requires a caravan actually reaching it and being able to survive outside long enough to BUILD the Depot.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 04, 2012, 08:39:01 pm »

I actually once created a reasonably stable fort with surface trade on a place that was entirely comprised of reanimating terrain. It got kind of boring after a while, though, because I basically bolted myself underground except when airlocking in migrants or caravans.

Anyhow, the trick is to dig out a chamber to build the depot in, ideally on a slope, set up floodgates/doors on both sides, build the depot, lower the outer floodgates, mine out a 3-tile-wide entryway, seal the floodgates, seal the inner doors, lower the floodgates when there's a caravan incoming, then raise them and open the inner doors, trade, store everything you care about, reseal the interior doors, then open the outer doors.

Then you build a new trade depot somewhere else because oh my god it's full of zombies.

Anyways, could one of you overseers give us a proper succession fort update? I never thought I'd say this, but if I had the time I could do better updates than any of you have managed. Which is saying something, if you look at my previous succession fort attempts.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 04, 2012, 08:44:31 pm »

I actually once created a reasonably stable fort with surface trade on a place that was entirely comprised of reanimating terrain. It got kind of boring after a while, though, because I basically bolted myself underground except when airlocking in migrants or caravans.

This is a Battlefailed fort, stability will never be achieved.

Then you build a new trade depot somewhere else because oh my god it's full of zombies.

Anyways, could one of you overseers give us a proper succession fort update? I never thought I'd say this, but if I had the time I could do better updates than any of you have managed. Which is saying something, if you look at my previous succession fort attempts.

How much do you know of the Battlefailed curse?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 04, 2012, 08:51:14 pm »

No, no, I get that terrible terrible things happen to every Battlefailed fort. I did read the entirety of Battlefailed and Failcannon. It's just that no one is doing the updates well. I used to think I was the absolute master of low-content succession fort posts (horrible horrible screencapture problems did not help) but my posts for a year could generally total like two pages double-spaced counting season headers.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 04, 2012, 08:57:38 pm »

No, no, I get that terrible terrible things happen to every Battlefailed fort. I did read the entirety of Battlefailed and Failcannon. It's just that no one is doing the updates well. I used to think I was the absolute master of low-content succession fort posts (horrible horrible screencapture problems did not help) but my posts for a year could generally total like two pages double-spaced counting season headers.

That's not the Battlefailed curse. The Battlefailed curse is real life rising up to devour the current overseer before he or she completes their turn.

In my defense, nothing happened during my turn. Mostly because I played it safe and just tried to keep everyone we currently had alive and happy. I was quite successful in that respect.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 04, 2012, 09:01:17 pm »

Mostly because I played it safe and just tried to keep everyone we currently had alive and happy. I was quite successful in that respect.

WE HAVE AN ELF IN OUR MIDST!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 04, 2012, 09:02:39 pm »

That's not the Battlefailed curse. The Battlefailed curse is real life rising up to devour the current overseer before he or she completes their turn.

In my defense, nothing happened during my turn. Mostly because I played it safe and just tried to keep everyone we currently had alive and happy. I was quite successful in that respect.

I'm fairly certain that should be renamed the Swordthunders curse.  We've physically LOST an overseer somewhere.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 04, 2012, 09:05:35 pm »

I'm fairly certain that should be renamed the Swordthunders curse.  We've physically LOST an overseer somewhere.

Another reason for me to read swordthunders, I guess.

Also, Sinpwn: Is the fort running without major problems?

... Now that I think about it, we probably should be ready for errors like those that happened with Hellcannon during The Master's turn.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 136