Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 136

Author Topic: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell - Please do not feed the nobles  (Read 538809 times)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell (BATTLEFAILED 4) - It lives
« Reply #435 on: September 05, 2012, 03:23:54 pm »

Actually, could someone upload one of those full-size point-of-interestable maps to whatever it's called? Or have those been broken by a new version at some point?
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Dinjoralo

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% more pronounceable than the leading brand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 05, 2012, 05:02:58 pm »

Posthumous jounal of Dinjoralo Celvaer
Well. Here I am. At the new fort. I always wanted to join a dwarven stronghold. Then I step in, go out to get supplies, and my lungs start caving in on themselves. So now I'm dead, because nobody here had any fecking medical training. Woohoo.
Holy Armok, I just scared all the animals in the plains into pissing themselves. Well, the ones with functional bladders, or bladders at all, really. Sweet!
Things are going pretty bad for the suck-havers. Two dwarves died from zed-contracted rot, another got bitten to death by an undead cow, and the guy who led the expedition brought two people into his office so he could beat the crap out of them. Normally, this would frighten me, but being dead... I think I'm too detached from the the things taking place to really be emotional and caring about it. This all seems more like a play of sadistic humour rather than a display of pure anger, frustration, and depression. So you know what? I'm just going to sit back and watch.
Okay, some recently deceased spirit dwarf just came up to me and told me that he was me. What the fuck? I told him to bugger off, I'm trying to kill gizogin watch the fort die. He had the most pretentious nickname too, I mean, what the hell is a villein? I feel pity for him, though. We both died from the rotting plague, and he had to deal with the concentrated smell of rotting flesh and getting the crap beaten out of him. I don't know where in this shithole he is, and frankly, I have something more concerning right now. For some reason, I can't see a lot of what's happening in the fort. Two years have passed in stilted, blurry hours, everything's gone dark, and suddenly I have no idea what's going on here. Where is everybody? I won't live my afterlife in nothingness! I want my entertainment back!
========
Yeah, I'm no Seth when it comes to writing, but really I'm just doing this to pass the time. Sorry for the incredibly shitty interlude, let's return to our regularly scheduled psychopathy.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:26:00 pm by Dinjoralo »

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 05, 2012, 05:04:16 pm »

I can try firing the save up on my Linux install in a little bit and see if I have the same issue.
Have you had a change to try this yet?
I would like to know if anyone else has the same problem I do.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 05, 2012, 05:23:40 pm »

Sorry for the lack of updates. School just started, and the workload is slightly higher than anticipated. The fort is doing alright, aside from some Unforeseen Consequences. Expect a full update at some point tomorrow, pics included.

P.S. I didn't touch the pool of water under the fort yet, as the dwarves are far too preoccupied with Unforeseen Consequences and generally being useless.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 05, 2012, 05:38:36 pm »

"Unforeseen Consequences" eh? Well keep up the good work!

Even if there's no screencaps, it's important for the overseers to let everyone else know what's going on, and that doesn't seem to be happening as much as it really should.
From what I've read of him in Failcannon, CP is an amazing overseer, and his turn is coming up shortly. As for me, well I'm pretty verbose myself. But I agree that our overseers should really put more effort into describing their turns. From what I've seen of the fortress, I can tell that there's a LOT of crazy stuff going on that isn't even being mentioned.

You guys should get into the habit of taking screenshots every time something interesting or unusual happens. Not only does it provide eye candy for the people reading, but it also gives you more material to work with, in addition to making the writing part a whole lot easier.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:41:01 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 05, 2012, 06:44:12 pm »

Alternately, just keep a notepad window open and type anything interesting in there when it happens. I know how much of a pain screencaps can be without dedicated capture software in older versions of windows, so I can understand not doing them much.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 05, 2012, 06:50:54 pm »

Could someone, I dunno, go into the most recent file and just get some screencaps of the fortress as is? Give us all a better idea of what the fort looks like.

If nobody minds I'll be happy to do it.  ???

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 05, 2012, 07:08:14 pm »

@Ash:

Working on it right now.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 05, 2012, 07:43:39 pm »

Alternately, just keep a notepad window open and type anything interesting in there when it happens. I know how much of a pain screencaps can be without dedicated capture software in older versions of windows, so I can understand not doing them much.
Just alt+printscreen, paste in paint, crop out the uninteresting parts, save as png file (the smallest and the bestest picture format for DF screencaps). Then upload to tinypic.com when ready to post them. Compared to actually playing your turn, it doesn't take long at all. And you can do this in versions as early as Windows 95... although uploading and formatting a huge backlog of screenshots into an already written post requires some degree of patience.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:56:44 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 05, 2012, 07:45:58 pm »

Sinpwn, at the end of your turn could you please give me a dwarf list?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 05, 2012, 07:52:44 pm »

From what I've read of him in Failcannon, CP is an amazing overseer, and his turn is coming up shortly. As for me, well I'm pretty verbose myself. But I agree that our overseers should really put more effort into describing their turns. From what I've seen of the fortress, I can tell that there's a LOT of crazy stuff going on that isn't even being mentioned.

Aw, thanks Spish!  I'll do what I can.

My guess is everyone's too focused on just staying alive at this point, taking their attention away from grabbing juicy details or relevant screenshots.  It happens.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I do as well - it's a very good way of keeping track!  Though, I frequently start describing things in enough detail that it turns into actually writing, meaning when I meant to play at least a season I play maybe a month, but spend 4 hours on the writing. 

I don't know what versions of windows aren't screencap friendly, but at least in Win7, what I do, is just keep Paint open and Print Screen at Dwarf Fortress then ctrl-V paste in Paint.  Extremely convenient (and I have no excuse for not uploading more and better screens than I do.)  Probably you all knew that 'trick' already, but just in case, there it is.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 05, 2012, 08:17:42 pm »

Well, that was a frustrating hour... I may have to cancel my turn. Just running this thing on Pause made my computer chug so hard I couldn't even open Task Manager to kill it.

Oh, and I couldn't get any proper screenshots, because somebody neglected to uninstall their texture pack properly and everything was all psychedelic. (My bad there; I'm pretty sure it was mentioned.)

I'll try again in a bit; I'd hate to have to cancel just 'cuz the file's too big.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 05, 2012, 08:26:24 pm »

I can try firing the save up on my Linux install in a little bit and see if I have the same issue.

I tried it yesterday (the soonest I could due to being swamped with homework), and discovered that encrypting my hard drive killed my Linux install. I just reinstalled Linux on my USB stick, so I'll hopefully have a chance tonight.

Is it x86 or x64?

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 05, 2012, 08:34:22 pm »

I tried it yesterday (the soonest I could due to being swamped with homework), and discovered that encrypting my hard drive killed my Linux install. I just reinstalled Linux on my USB stick, so I'll hopefully have a chance tonight.

Is it x86 or x64?
Ah that is a good reason to have not done it.
It is on x64.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 05, 2012, 08:38:31 pm »

Is it x86 or x64?
Ah that is a good reason to have not done it.
It is on x64.

Welp time to install a different version. I only have x86 ISOs, so long download times await!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 136