Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 136

Author Topic: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell - Please do not feed the nobles  (Read 555400 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell (BATTLEFAILED 4) - It lives
« Reply #705 on: September 25, 2012, 03:06:06 pm »

The souls of the dead just kinda repossess any mortals that happen along. Never really explained why said mortals just vanish and never put up a fight/try to reclaim their body.

Or Mego can just ninja me to hell. :P

The problem is probably related to the ghosts that appear that think they are a soul that is already possessing another body.
Like the ghost of Mego III.

Perhaps when a soul takes over, the original soul stays there and gets bumped to the side by the more dominate personality.
During which time the original soul just thinks its making the decisions and begins to identify themselves accordingly.

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell (BATTLEFAILED 4) - It lives
« Reply #706 on: September 25, 2012, 04:58:52 pm »

The souls of the dead just kinda repossess any mortals that happen along. Never really explained why said mortals just vanish and never put up a fight/try to reclaim their body.

The problem is probably related to the ghosts that appear that think they are a soul that is already possessing another body.
Like the ghost of Mego III.

Perhaps when a soul takes over, the original soul stays there and gets bumped to the side by the more dominate personality.
During which time the original soul just thinks its making the decisions and begins to identify themselves accordingly.

So insanity (as in: the kind that turns a dwarf useless) is simply the original soul becoming dominant again?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell (BATTLEFAILED 4) - Beware the Aussie
« Reply #707 on: September 25, 2012, 09:01:30 pm »

BLAH BLAH BLAH

So insanity (as in: the kind that turns a dwarf useless) is simply the original soul becoming dominant again?

That would make sense and perhaps they have problems making up their mind what to do when the guiding force suddenly shuts off. They got so used to the other soul being in control that they just don't know what to do anymore and aren't sure why.

It also seems that dwarves have pretty weak wills to begin with considering they frequently get strange moods that are basically possessions from an outside force and regular ghosts can effect them as well. Then you have the fact they are all bi-polar to an extreme. This also explains why normal dwarves are so susceptible to insanity, they simply have weak wills that are prone to be broken quite easily. And perhaps the only reason dwarves survive moods is because the artifact they create (or the skills they gain) gives them something to latch onto long enough to stay stable.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:06:40 pm by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Dinjoralo

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% more pronounceable than the leading brand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 25, 2012, 09:28:44 pm »

My main thought on this is; where does the Overseer come into this? Yet another outside force? Do dwarves exist solely to be manipulated by powers beyond them? Might their going insane actually be them noticing this, and having a breakdown during an existential crisis? Is their babbling just the powers beyond obfuscating their speech so the truth doesn't spread?

My god, I sound pretentious. No, stop that, me. Slappy-slappy.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 25, 2012, 09:31:04 pm »

The overseer is whomever is writing the (main) journals. Only a few thus far actually had any psychic powers.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dinjoralo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 25, 2012, 09:44:08 pm »

Nonono, I'm talking about the player. Like, the person at the computer, putting out designations, and telling the dwarves what to do. I thought that the term for someone playing was the 'overseer', but I guess that's just in these LP's. Ah well, I can't edit it now that someone responded to it.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 25, 2012, 09:44:34 pm »

You guys are putting way too much thought into this. It's more fun if you just imagine your dwarf is like Kenny from South Park.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Dinjoralo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 25, 2012, 09:52:27 pm »

You guys are putting way too much thought into this. It's more fun if you just imagine your dwarf is like Kenny from South Park.
You bastard!>:(
I like to think of them as the little smiley face icon used for them. It makes my imaginings of what's going on in my forts more surreal.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 25, 2012, 10:00:05 pm »

Nonono, I'm talking about the player. Like, the person at the computer, putting out designations, and telling the dwarves what to do. I thought that the term for someone playing was the 'overseer', but I guess that's just in these LP's. Ah well, I can't edit it now that someone responded to it.

The players comes up with an excuse for it. Usually their dwarf being the one giving the orders.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 25, 2012, 11:19:03 pm »

Bwahahahah.  Interesting new choice of thread header, Deathsword. 

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 25, 2012, 11:42:29 pm »

The players comes up with an excuse for it. Usually their dwarf being the one giving the orders.

We did have to start improvising in Hellcannon, though, when we didn't get enough migrants to ensure that the next overseer would have a dwarf. There was at least one overseer who ruled while they were a ghost.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 26, 2012, 12:15:48 am »

Hell, I'm probably going to have to play my turn as a zombie, unless Catalyst somehow manages to keep the liaison alive (which let's face it is probably not ganna happen, that dude has no survival instinct)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:56:54 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #717 on: September 26, 2012, 09:25:10 am »

I'll write a journal entry now that I've been dwarf'ed soonish, but I was curious if I could run a parallel Battlefailed game; when ideas for Horrorfailed were flying, there was talk of doing a 23a since Horrorfailed is supposed to be a prequel (though I'm not sure we stuck with that premise). The idea of doing a retrofort has kinda stuck with me, and I'm curious if anyone would be interested in having a 23a game parallel to this one, and have it part of the "canon" of Battlefailed.

(I will likely do the 23a succession game regardless, but I think the original idea is interesting).

Also helps pass the time while we wait for updates :-).
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 26, 2012, 10:26:40 am »

You saw nothing
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:58:29 am by Deathsword »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 26, 2012, 10:55:18 am »

You saw nothing

Hey!  Don't spoil the surprise!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:03:24 am by ThatAussieGuy »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 136