Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 136

Author Topic: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell - Please do not feed the nobles  (Read 538804 times)

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell (BATTLEFAILED 4) - It lives
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2012, 04:39:48 pm »

I was beggining to do this when my dorf went berserk. You'll need wood, however. Try to salvage some from that pack-animal corpse not far from the fort (underground, not on the surface). It's exposed to the air, however, so watch out for fliers.

AC, we have no skilled medics or soap. The muck's symptoms take some time to kick in, the zombies probably got to them before that.

Moot point. The year's done. Nothing much happened. I'll be uploading the save.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2012, 04:42:58 pm »

Well that was a fast damn turn!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2012, 04:47:30 pm »

AC, sorry for that. That message was directed to Spish. I edited it now.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2012, 04:57:38 pm »

Well that was a fast damn turn!

Yup. Nothing much happened. I just let it run in the background while I did other stuff. Checked it every few minutes. Had a lot of migrants get killed by the wilddeath. Or by running pellmell into the swamp of fetid muck.

We did have an offshoot timeline. I saved, copied the save, then tried to let in some migrants. Instead the fort got swarmed by undead and we all died. In like a minute.

The save.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:22:25 pm by armeggedonCounselor »
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 29, 2012, 05:45:30 pm »

Would a long, trap-filled tunnel with some pools of water for cleaning be enough to get some immigrants safely in? At this rate, I don't see any chance of many dorfings for a good, long while.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 29, 2012, 06:19:11 pm »

I do believe that a simple airlock system would suffice. Two doors (or better yet, hatch covers), with a meeting hall zone in between them for migrants to gather when they're not getting munched on by undead. Keep one door locked, and the other open for migrants to enter through, then lock the first and let them through the second once they're safe and detoxified. I believe zombies will prioritize killing reachable dwarves over gathering at meeting halls, so they should keep out for the most part. If zombies start heading inside, just lock them out.

Just make sure the zombie force doesn't include building destroyers or lockpickers. Otherwise things could get messy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:26:19 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 29, 2012, 06:55:03 pm »

Geez, we're a few turns in and we have little over 4 resident dwarves?  This fort is glorious.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 29, 2012, 09:25:54 pm »

Would a long, trap-filled tunnel with some pools of water for cleaning be enough to get some immigrants safely in? At this rate, I don't see any chance of many dorfings for a good, long while.

I do believe that a simple airlock system would suffice. Two doors (or better yet, hatch covers), with a meeting hall zone in between them for migrants to gather when they're not getting munched on by undead. Keep one door locked, and the other open for migrants to enter through, then lock the first and let them through the second once they're safe and detoxified. I believe zombies will prioritize killing reachable dwarves over gathering at meeting halls, so they should keep out for the most part. If zombies start heading inside, just lock them out.

Just make sure the zombie force doesn't include building destroyers or lockpickers. Otherwise things could get messy.

All we need to keep secure is a floor hatch as the main entrance.  Nothing can break through a locked hatch from the underside.  As to quarantine, A floor grate over an aquifer breach and a shower from above just outside said floorhatch should keep us clean and new migrants happy as they travel through the waterfall.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 29, 2012, 09:36:58 pm »

Woo, It's my turn. I'll download the save and see what I can do.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 30, 2012, 01:47:19 am »

All we need to keep secure is a floor hatch as the main entrance.  Nothing can break through a locked hatch from the underside.  As to quarantine, A floor grate over an aquifer breach and a shower from above just outside said floorhatch should keep us clean and new migrants happy as they travel through the waterfall.
Problem is the moment we open it to let the migrants in, the zombies will immediately sense our dwarves. Need to have something blocking them from being able to path inside.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:00:20 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 30, 2012, 07:47:47 am »

Have we hit stone yet?  We could make the airlock include a drawbridge to further seal off the fort and line the airlock with traps.

Example (not drawn to scale):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Instead of traps you could easily line the airlock with atom smashers connected to an alternate bridge lever. Less cleanup that way, but building destroyers or creatures immune to atom smashing will stall the "cleaning part" of the lock completely.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 30, 2012, 11:55:47 am »

We havn't hit stone. Some migrant's arrived, in the non haunted part I think. They may be able to make it to the fort, who knows.

Edit: Fuck. So I managed to get a few dwarves in, not sure of the exact amount, because preaty soon after I did just about every goddamn dwarf decided to haul something and go out side. Despite the fact that I had everyone in a burrow, and that I had everything outside forbidden. So now a undead harpy is running around inside the fort, that's the only thing that managed to get in I think. I'm gonna see if a dwarf can lead it out side then I'm locking the door, and walling the corridor off for good measure. Jesus fucking Christ I hate the dwarves AI sometimes.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:15:42 pm by Deviled »

Greasemunky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 30, 2012, 12:33:42 pm »

If it's not in the reanimating part, you might be able to mob it to death with unarmed dwarves.
And hey, fps rose from 4 to 12 from all the death.  That's good, right?

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 30, 2012, 02:45:35 pm »

Nah it got out, and I was able to get some dwarfs in. I'll have to count the exact amount later. But for now we have gained some migrants and made some progress on the aquifer.

The aquifer has been broken through. Current dwarf population is ~19. With the stone I will work on a airlock.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 04:02:50 pm by Deviled »

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 30, 2012, 06:14:13 pm »

Give screenshots! >:(
Maybe my willingness to be dwarfed is reason of Fortress dying?... nah, impossible.
Do not give up! You are Dwarves - the mightest race on this world! These undead are stupid!

My example of small plan to kill few zombies.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Red squares are Atomsmashers, the green one is bridge/door for saving Bait from being eaten if zombs get close.
Dark green circle is shortcut for Miner, who will run in that route, when he dig out LAST TILE [Blue circle].
Black stripes are doors/bridges for catching Undead to give possibility to smash them.
Yellow circle is a route to Fortress.

You have mechanisms, right?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:16:07 pm by Volfgarix »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 136