Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 136

Author Topic: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell - Please do not feed the nobles  (Read 537870 times)

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell (BATTLEFAILED 4) - It lives
« Reply #600 on: September 13, 2012, 11:20:15 pm »

When Catalyst shows up, the turn is his.

No, cruel fate!  Take this burden from me!

Alright.  Fuck it.  I felt like getting inadvisably drunk and staying up entirely too late tonight anyway.  Get me a Phoebus-ready copy of the save soon and you'll probably have an initial update by morning.
Here have the save with Phoebus installed.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #601 on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:56 pm »

I did. Its now on stock ASCII. Prevents issues if you don't have phobeus/tilesets installed (specifically, ASCII corruption that Sinpwn mentioned (and I had the same thing happen). If you want to install a tileset, backup the hellcannon/raw/graphics folder, dump one in, then enable the tileset option in init.txt. Just remember to revert it back.
The game is modded so you can't just "swap out the raws".
It should work fine as long as you leave "descriptor_shape_battlefailed.txt", "language_sym.txt", "language_words.txt", "material_template_default.txt", "reaction_other.txt", and "reaction_adventure_new.txt" alone.

The graphics folder is independent of the rest which is where tilesets live. Copying in the stock ASCII graphics from stock DF purges the tileset away.

(obviously if you replaced the raws wholesale, it would break with "Missing Reaction" or something similar).
Graphics packs change the tiles and tiles colors of minerals, plants, and creatures so you have to change the "raw/objects" folder or things will look weird.
This is why ASCII looks wrong when you use it with graphics pack raws.
"raw/graphics" overrides the appearance settings from "raw/objects" for creatures only.
The tileset image itself is found in "data/art" not "raw/graphics".

Your dwarf foo is stronger than mine, and I thus concede defeat :-).

(I prefer using strace to solve my issues anyway.).
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 14, 2012, 01:14:32 am »

Dorf-Fu is a wise and mystic art of combat and you'd be wise to verse yourself in it.  Get drunk sober and tantrum through the dining hall until only you are left alive. 

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 14, 2012, 01:55:39 am »

Catalyst Paintedmachine, Dwarven Baby - Imaginary Diary

Hi everyone, I'm brand new!  That's right, I'm the first baby of Kozothungèg Nokzamkanom Shash, to Mommy Strategia and Daddy Kar.  Surely this is a sign of bright futures ahead for our lovely home!  ... Hey, why does Daddy smell so funny?

Anyway, it's a super-special exciting day, not just because I'm here now, but because the circus is in town!  Wait, why did you all go pale?  I meant the animals!

Look at them all come parading in!  In... through that thick, dark mist hanging in the air like curtains made of tar...  Ooh, yuck, and it looks like they stepped in something slimy and yellow too... uh, okay.  Well anyway, there are porcupines, and owls, and water buffalo and muskoxen and... goblins... and... uh... dwarves?  And... pieces... of goblins... and dwarves...

Uh, okay!  So have I mentioned what lovely doors and drawbridges we have here?  No?  That's probably because I just developed a strong appreciation for them, just now. 

Yep, nothing is getting by those bad boys, and they aren't being opened anytime soon!  So nothing to worry about, I'm safe and secure here with these lovely... three... others.  Wow, that's not many.  Well, let's see who they are...

Spoiler: Current Population! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Eric (click to show/hide)
First there's some kid named Eric, so sickly he looks like a half-starved elf, who's running around and babbling.  I'm sure we'll grow up together and have daring adventures and be best friends.  Right.  That's it for dwarves around my own age.

Spoiler: Newbunkle (click to show/hide)
Then there's Newbunkle, a one-armed fellow so tall I think he might be a secret human, who fancies himself some kind of harbinger of the apocalypse, which would be manageable, after all, who doesn't enjoy a good apocalypse story once in a while?  But the fellow can barely string two words together coherently - and moreover, lacks the wit to actually come up with a compelling DESCRIPTION of the apocalypse.  We're all warned that "Th' gods are gun' kill ya ded, someday I reckon."  Not even diseases or floods or rain of fire, forgotten beasts, demonic invasion, or any of that good stuff - get this - he says we'll all be stabbed by kobolds.  I swear... 

Spoiler: Strategia (click to show/hide)
Finally, there's Strategia, my own mother, hobbling around with me and a missing leg, bizarrely happy despite everything.  This alone convinces me the woman has more than a few screws loose.  If that weren't enough, she ALSO fancies herself a prophet.  Not of doom, though, but of the coming of something called "cheese".  I've never heard of a more mad fantasy.

So, I'm locked in here with an insane two year old, two mad, idiot prophets, a few animals, and a whole lot of reeking corpses I am now eyeing suspiciously for any sign of movement.  Oh, and several merchants who have gone mad from being locked in here.  And their camels.  Which have also gone mad.

Spoiler: Well, fuck. (click to show/hide)

Nevermind, everything sucks.  Guess I better get started on that whole "needs alcohol to get through the working day" thing, huh?

------

So I haven't actually DONE anything yet, but that should set the stage a little.  If you're wondering how the hell a new born infant is giving a detailed account of the fortress... I have no idea, maybe I'll come up with some kind of explanation later, or not.  Here's some visual overview:

Spoiler: The Main Fort (click to show/hide)
It's pretty much all up on the top level, with a staircase going straight down til it ends in an opening to the roof of the 2nd cavern... soooo perhaps I will do something about that.

Spoiler: The desolation beyond (click to show/hide)

Will try to update again tomorrow night!
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 14, 2012, 03:56:21 am »

Please tell me that's snowed-over Fetid Muck and the Nefarious Mist pools haven't been spread about...

Seeing as we've breached the aquifer, would you mind going to where the Trade Depot is and get any idle/disposable dwarves working on finishing this?  All that really needs to be built is the gears and waterwheels on the upper level.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #605 on: September 14, 2012, 04:51:28 am »

With only four dwarfs, its pretty hard for the fort to implode into a loyality cascade :-)

That being said, I suspect the liason didn't make it in (or out) last time, and generally, if he doesn't make it, you get few or no migrants the following year. I'm wondering if we're going to have to simply breed our population up ...

(on the plus side, no framerate death :-)).
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 14, 2012, 05:54:18 am »

I say seal the fort up and try to survive by breeding. It may be slow going for a while, but if the local breeders are any good we could have a dozen or so little baby dwarves toddling around uselessly by the end of the year. Best-case scenario, we get an inbred drunken enclave of midgets on the edge of Hell on Earth. Worst-case is that we get zombies; not a whole lot of directions to go but up, though. Right?
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 14, 2012, 07:47:15 am »

Worst-case is that we get zombies; not a whole lot of directions to go but up, though. Right?

I think you've forgotten that the dwarven way is to dig deeper.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 14, 2012, 08:11:18 am »

I say seal the fort up and try to survive by breeding. It may be slow going for a while, but if the local breeders are any good we could have a dozen or so little baby dwarves toddling around uselessly by the end of the year. Best-case scenario, we get an inbred drunken enclave of midgets on the edge of Hell on Earth. Worst-case is that we get zombies; not a whole lot of directions to go but up, though. Right?

Inbred drunken midgets or zombies...

The choice is difficult.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 14, 2012, 10:41:41 am »

Do you mind if I put this in my sig?
Dorf-Fu is a wise and mystic art of combat and you'd be wise to verse yourself in it.  Get drunk sober and tantrum through the dining hall until only you are left alive. 
Same to this.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 14, 2012, 11:21:19 am »

Do you mind if I put this in my sig?
Same to this.

Go right ahead

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 14, 2012, 11:49:14 am »

Catalyst, your pictures aren't showing up here for some reason.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 14, 2012, 12:03:27 pm »

They're showing up fine for me.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 14, 2012, 12:09:35 pm »

^Likewise.
Too bad our only potential breeder is married to a dead guy.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:22:14 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 14, 2012, 12:12:26 pm »

They are working for me as well.
Do you have googleusercontent.com blocked, that is where CatalystParadox uploaded them to.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 136