Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 136

Author Topic: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell - Please do not feed the nobles  (Read 538829 times)

Dinjoralo

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% more pronounceable than the leading brand.
    • View Profile
Re: Horrorfailed the Battle-Cannon of Hell - You Require Additional Cannons
« Reply #1455 on: March 19, 2013, 03:05:50 pm »

I'm sorry, but could you possibly do something reckless and suicidal with my dwarf? I'm pretty sure that he's survived for over a year now, and I feel that might be too long.

Temporarily9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: March 19, 2013, 07:57:56 pm »

Ah, I misread the post. I see now that I am dead. Yay! Any chance of a redorf, when convenient?

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: March 20, 2013, 07:50:49 am »

I'm sorry, but could you possibly do something reckless and suicidal with my dwarf? I'm pretty sure that he's survived for over a year now, and I feel that might be too long.

I'm pretty sure my first dwarf is still alive, and I think he (or she) came in either the starting seven, or the first couple waves of migrants.

I am very disappointed with the deadliness of this fortress.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: March 20, 2013, 08:11:47 am »

^ Actually your dorf has died at least 3 times since the fort began.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Temporarily9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: March 20, 2013, 02:15:10 pm »

Come to think of it, is there ANYONE from the original 7 that hasn't been redorfed at least once by this point?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: March 20, 2013, 02:33:02 pm »

Probably DevilEd
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dark_T_Zeratul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: March 20, 2013, 02:58:13 pm »

Given that his severed arm recently rampaged through the fortress, I suspect otherwise.
The miasma caused Sethrist to go miserable and throw a tantrum. During the tantrum he mauled a dog to near-death and that caused his mood to go all the way up to content. Apparently, beating the crap out of dogs is the best way to achieve happiness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: March 20, 2013, 09:10:06 pm »

Given that his severed arm recently rampaged through the fortress, I suspect otherwise.

He asked not to be redorfed as long as there is a zombie version of him. I guess his arm counts.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dark_T_Zeratul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: March 20, 2013, 09:12:58 pm »

3rd of Obsidian, 512
Phase 2 of the grand project is complete! Unfortunately, phase 3 presents a problem. It requires me to dig a tunnel up into the aquifer level to release the water into the channel below and fill the chamber. However, reaching that spot requires me to go through other parts of the aquifer, releasing more water. I must consult the fortress's architects and attempt to come up with a solution to this problem...
By the way, I really am trying to figure out how to do this, if anyone has any suggestions.
The miasma caused Sethrist to go miserable and throw a tantrum. During the tantrum he mauled a dog to near-death and that caused his mood to go all the way up to content. Apparently, beating the crap out of dogs is the best way to achieve happiness.

Temporarily9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: March 20, 2013, 09:14:51 pm »

Is it possible to breach the aquifer from above? That's be pretty Fun with the local neighbors, but at least you don't need to mine in from beneath.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: March 20, 2013, 09:28:23 pm »

3rd of Obsidian, 512
Phase 2 of the grand project is complete! Unfortunately, phase 3 presents a problem. It requires me to dig a tunnel up into the aquifer level to release the water into the channel below and fill the chamber. However, reaching that spot requires me to go through other parts of the aquifer, releasing more water. I must consult the fortress's architects and attempt to come up with a solution to this problem...
By the way, I really am trying to figure out how to do this, if anyone has any suggestions.

Pumps. A lot of them. And maybe a perpetual-motion water reactor.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: March 20, 2013, 09:43:37 pm »

^ Easiest way is by freezing it via exposure to the elements. Especially in a place like this.

Then again you'd also be exposing yourself to the elements. Such as the zombie plague.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: March 21, 2013, 05:51:08 am »

Bah. Send in a vampire to do it. Hell, if you can get vampire blood into the water supply somewhere, then isolate it, you can make vampires on demand, and then pick a useless peasant, vampify them, send them upstairs to go work for you.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: March 21, 2013, 12:34:38 pm »

3rd of Obsidian, 512
...reaching that spot requires me to go through other parts of the aquifer...
There's a dirt layer between the aquifer and the surface, right? You can dig a tunnel above whatever aquifer area needs to be pierced and dump magma into it with iron or steel minecarts. Maybe just the outline of the piercing needed and pump or drain the water from the center?

A multi-layer aquifer is slightly more fiddly to obsidian cast. The first trick there is to leave a few aquifer tiles in the bottommost layer to absorb water, then expand an existing piercing by carving stairs in all the aquifer layers, gradually expanding it. Then, when dumping in obsidian to seal the walls, do one entire column of wall at a time. (This is critical to making it easier.) Since carts dump 2/2 magma, you'll occasionally have to go re-carve stairs in places that shouldn't be obsidian cast yet.

It is all pretty micromanagement-intensive.

Dark_T_Zeratul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: March 21, 2013, 01:25:49 pm »

Here's a quick diagram of what it looks like:

Now, it's possible the level below the water isn't a second aquifer level; I don't have the save with me here at work, so I grabbed the last one Space Cat posted and tried to remember exactly where and how I'd done my construction. If someone else knows for sure, that'd be great.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 136