Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF music is an intro to Black Sabbath?  (Read 2318 times)

Trystan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF music is an intro to Black Sabbath?
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:13:48 am »

So I was listening to some Black Sabbath and noticed that the into to a song from a live performance in 1970 was almost the same as the Dwarf Fortress music. Listen to the first two minutes and they sound very very similar (the next 6:30 is just awesome Black Sabbath). Has anyone else noticed this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BkhtJM8CqE

I'm sure this is just a coincidence, but ... wow. I suppose it's fitting that a genre defining game would have music similar to a genre defining band, but ... wow.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: DF music is an intro to Black Sabbath?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 05:34:40 am »

Genre defining is a bit much said about DF, imo. Its a great game, and complex, but it does not define the genre of roguelikes nor the genre of simulation games.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Trystan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 05:51:30 am »

@maiuw67, I'm a rougelike fan (even participated in the last three 7DRL challenges and authored a RL tutorial mentioned on one of these forum posts) but I'm pretty sure DF has brought the "deep gameplay with simple graphics" (minecraft, etc) as well as indie donation funded games to the forefront of recent gaming. Maybe genre expanding is a better term? Or whatever, that's just the way it seems to me. Everyone is inspired by something - I just thought it was amazing and odd that a Black Sabbath intro and a DF song would be so similar.

See the internet for more. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=inspired+by+dwarf+fortress)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:52:00 am »

Hmm, i guess you're right. And i somehow managed to forget reacting to the actual topic, sorry for that. I find the coincidence weird too tough. If you look around the forums mayby you can find some things about the origin of the DF music. For all i know toady made it himself.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Trystan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 06:58:12 am »

I did search around a bit but didn't find anything. Judging from the few patterns and rules of music I know about, it may well be a coincidence. Or an homage? Either way, I thought it was an interesting surprise.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 07:39:47 am »

I'm pretty sure Led Zeppelin defined the genre, mate.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 07:43:49 am »

Well, according to this interview, Toady might listen to Black Sabbath, but I agree that it's probably a coincidence.
Here's an old Toady quote:
I don't have a written record, though it could be reconstructed.  I never learned to play the guitar from sheet music, though I learned the flute and piano that way back when I was playing those, so I can read single notes (and chords sloooowly).  I've been playing the guitar since October 2003, I think, so three and a half years.  I just started in on flamenco on a whim (not accompanying anybody, and I haven't learned enough of the rhythm patterns well enough to really say I play it), and just went from there.  Lately I've been butchering Sabicas tabs, though I mostly just pick up the guitar and make stuff up as I go along.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to record a few more songs at some point, and I'll be sure to keep the tabs around in case anybody wants a look.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 08:13:08 pm »

Genre defining is a bit much said about DF, imo. Its a great game, and complex, but it does not define the genre of roguelikes nor the genre of simulation games.
IIRC, it inspired Minecraft (as well as many other games) to some extent or another, and Minecraft also spawned a ton of games. I don't think DF really fits into any category of games defined before 2006, but whatever genre it is, it's the definer.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 11:29:41 am »

I think DF is pretty genre defing, I mean really, DF basically created the genre of "building games", though Minecraft holds the title because it's so popular. But if you think about it, Dwarf Fortress was the[\b] first building game, and as much as the Minecraft fanboys would like to argue, DF heavily inspired it, and the never-ending flow of building games that came after. Including Terraria, Fortress craft, and a ton of others. It also is an early example of a "bad graphics good concept" game. Before that, it was all "graphics", once again, A la Minecraft.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 01:10:36 pm »

You are stretching it a little. This is simply a style of playing this type of guitar, nothing more.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 02:28:19 am »

Yeah, listening, they're both finger-pick arpeggio flamenco, which is awfully wide a style.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 04:30:46 am »

...finger-pick arpeggio flamenco...
Witch! He speaks in tongues!

They sound pretty similar. Not just the style, but the notes played.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 06:03:54 am »

...finger-pick arpeggio flamenco...
Witch! He speaks in tongues!

They sound pretty similar. Not just the style, but the notes played.
Well, there are only so many notes you can play on a guitar :P
But, still, while both songs use a similar range, the harmonies and the rhythm are different.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 06:35:28 pm »

Yeah, the harmonies and rhythm, which, in that style of guitar playing, are literally everything.

It's kind of like saying that Final Fantasy music is an intro to Metallica.