Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: You are an Adventurers' Agent  (Read 8429 times)

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You are an Adventurers' Agent
« on: August 18, 2012, 06:58:43 pm »

You are [INSERT NAME HERE], a retired [INSERT PREVIOUS PROFESSION CAREER HERE]. 

You have recently left your previous job to become involved in adventuring.  Well, not the actual adventuring, of course - you are neither dumb nor reckless enough to do that.  Instead, you have purchased a charter from the Guild of Adventurers' Guilds and set up shop as an adventurers' agent in the regional seaport of Aqualonia, and today is the very first day of your brand new business. 

The "business" being, in this case, to set up adventurers up with adventures, or vice versa.  Accepting quests from institutions who prefer to outsource certain non-core functions, finding brave and/or desperate individuals who are willing to risk life and limb for treasure, procuring the latest (or cheapest) in offensive and defensive equipment, pointing them in the right direction, getting them healed when they come back all maimed and bloody, arranging funerals for those who don't even manage that - all these now come under your purview.

Before you begin, however, please answer some questions about yourself:

(a)  What is your name?

(b)  Are you a man or a woman?  Or neither?  (Purely for aesthetic purposes - will have no effect on gameplay)

(c)  What was your former profession?  (Will have both an advantage and a disadvantage.  For example, an ex-pirate will have greater access to smuggling networks and contraband equipment, but his reputation may affect his ability to attract business from the more upright sectors of society.  Feel free to suggest advantages and disadvantages for professions - alternatively, you can just propose the profession and I will provide the advantage and disadvantage.)

(d)  What is the name of your agency?

Coming up next: 

1.  Your current assets and liabilities.

2.  Notable persons and institutions in Aqualonia.

3.  Your very first assignment!

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
Re: You are an Adventurers' Agent
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 07:27:18 pm »

Name: Theodor Gneissjaw
Former Profession: Foreman in the Adamantium Mines
Name of the Agency: Smashing Adventures Inc.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:40:52 pm »

Name: Durin Stronginthearm
Former Profession: Crossbow designer with Burleigh and Stronginthearm
Name of Agency: Stronginthearm Adventures, Ltd.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 07:42:20 pm »

Name: Alteran Katamar
Former Profession: Katamari builder.
Agency name: The Adventurer's Roll.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:40:50 pm »

Name: Alaric D'al Maradi
Former Profession: Smuggler
Agency Name: Witty One-Liners Inc.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 11:23:28 pm »

Name: Durin Stronginthearm
Former Profession: Crossbow designer with Burleigh and Stronginthearm
Name of Agency: Stronginthearm Adventures, Ltd.
This.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 11:24:43 pm »

Why that one in particular?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 11:31:01 pm »

I'm a paid spokesman for Stronginthearm Crossbow Wholesalers.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 11:33:58 pm »

Who needs to purchase crossbows wholesale when you can roll them up wholesale? Then you can focus on purchasing other, slightly more important things. Like armor. That tends to work better in the long-term if it hasn't been roll-tested first, compared to your crossbows of possibly sturdy quality.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 03:05:10 am »

Curriculum Vitae

You are Durin Stronginthejaw, a scion of the dwarven clan of Stronginthejaw, famed for their prodigious lantern jaws.  A feature which you, personally, lack – because you are also a golem, and whoever sculpted you in the distant past gave you jaws of merely average proportion (average for a 9-foot tall golem, that is). 

Nevertheless, after your mother Stronginthearm Stronginthejaw found the scattered pieces of you buried in a cave in the ancestral lands of Clan Stronginthejaw and re-assembled you, she was pleased to adopt you into the clan, for she sensed that you would do the clan proud.  And indeed, you have – although you had no memories of your past life before you ended up in that cave, you soon mastered the dwarven language and rituals, and with your mighty strength and keen intelligence you swiftly rose in the ranks to become Deputy Assistant Vice-Foreman of the clan’s crossbow mines, a prestigious rank indeed!

A month ago you reached your thirtieth year of age (or at least, it had been 30 years since you were found by your mother).  By clan law you were required to leave the ancestral lands and make a living for yourself in the outside world for at least 5 years before you were allowed to return.  On the day of your departure, your mother pressed a pouch of 1,000 AUW (Arbitrary Units of Wealth) into your hands and said, with tears of pride and joy soaking into her beard, “Return twice this amount to me in 1 year’s time, or you will be forever banished from Clan Stronginthejaw.”  For that too, is clan law.

You have spent the past month making your way to Aqualonia, locating suitable premises for your office, and refurbishing it.  After deducting all expenses incurred to date, you have 300 AUW left, and 11 more months to repay 2,000 AUW.

Year 1, Month 2, Day 1

And it seems your business is off to a good start!  Barely have you stepped into the office of Smashing One-Liners LLC Inc. Ltd. when a man in a servant's livery enters and passes you a letter and a package from his master. 

I lost my cat in the Misty Forest.  Find my cat.  I will pay you 200 AUW.  You have one week.  Signed, Esq. Bertrand.

Short and to the point - just the way you like it.  At the bottom of the letter is a passable colored drawing of an orange cat, and in the package is a leash and a food dish, each with the word "Frisky" engraved on it.

You tell the servant that you will accept this assignment and to return in a week's time.  He nods and departs. 

Misty Forest is approximately a day's walk away, shorter if you travel on horse, so there's plenty of time to complete this job if you start now.  Do you want to:

(a)  Pay a visit to The Smelly Donkey?  (2 Time Units - Once you get there, further reasonable activities will take no additional time)

(b)  Try to find out more information about this Mr Bertrand?  (2 Time Units)

(c)  Something else?  (Please specify)

You have 8 Time Units left today.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 04:36:55 am by JosephWongKS »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 03:28:53 am »

First, go talk to this Mr Bertrand guy. Find out where, exactly, the cat got lost in the forest. Ask for the name too, so we can call for it." Once we're done there, go to The Smelly Donkey and recruit whoever still looks kinda sober. At least 3 guys. Offer 10$ a week (this is enough to make rent if you're poor) to "do some jobs around town for us."

Their first job, obviously, is going to be "Go find this cat. [show them picture of cat] It got lost in the Misty Forest. Here's everything I know about the cat." Don't tell them about the reward, just that we want the cat. Bam 170$ profit, as soon as they get the cat.

Later on, we'll have them putting up job posters and stuff.

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 06:51:35 am »

We can't afford to cross check our employers now.
I say time is of the essence, that's why I'm in favor of your second suggestion to head right to the tavern.
Recruit people there and, if possible, take the dish and buy some food for bait, a fish or something.

I also suggest to pay Redbeard a visit later on. Maybe show him the crossbow we mined.
If we can't use it ourself, he could atleast help us identify the alloy or, if something can be gained, make it a present to him.

JosephWongKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 08:43:18 pm »

Year 1, Month 2, Day 1

Given the size of the reward which is being offered for a mere lost cat, Mr Bertrand must be a very wealthy man indeed.  You decide to pay a visit to City Hall to see if he is on the register of citizens and/or electors.

Note:  Citizens of Aqualonia are entitled (amongst other privileges) to cast a vote at the five-yearly mayoral elections and to be tried by a panel of other citizens.  Electors get 100 votes and have the right to be tried by a panel of other electors or citizens.  You are not currently a citizen and certainly not an elector.

The fee for checking the register is 1 AUW, which you duly pay.  Without even bothering to flip through the record books, the clerk confirms that Mr Godfrey Bertrand is a full-fledged elector of Aqualonia and has been one for the past 25 years. 

"If you are thinking of paying a visit on him, well, you are just wasting your time," the clerk adds.  "The geezer is a crazy old coot and never accepts any visitors." 

You thank the clerk for his advice and pay him another 1 AUW for Mr Bertrand's address. 

(Total time consumed - 1 Time Unit)

Will you now: 

(a)  Pay a visit to Mr Bertrand?  (1 Time Unit)

(b)  Visit the Smelly Donkey?  (2 Time Units)

(c)  Something else?  (Please specify)

You have 7 Time Units left for today.

Spoiler:  Current Missions (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:48:41 pm by JosephWongKS »

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 09:06:45 am »

Pay a visit to the Smelly Donkey. Essentially, try to do what Greek said.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 09:34:17 am »

The very first crossbow you ever mined
Uh, what?

Excellent flavor, by the way. :D

A clarification: do we pay 25 AUW for modest lifestyle daily or monthly?

I suggest going to Smelly Donkey and learning about any other pubs close enough around the city. The poorer and shittier, the better. Then go there and try to recruit some drunks for the offer of two drinks - one right now, one after finding the cat.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:38:56 am by Dariush »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6