Rarely
- 25 (41.7%)
Never
- 4 (6.7%)
Have not yet but want to try.
- 2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Companions, do you use them?  (Read 2991 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Companions, do you use them?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 08:26:08 pm »

Except they'll use them with a companion's brain- you might want to watch out for those things. Companions with firebreath are a liability, fireballs might be dangerous too.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Gameboon

• Bay Watcher
  • In Sovjet-Dwarfland, dwarf commands you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 03:05:50 pm »

Hmm, I've had 3 guys for a while now, and they're stacked with stuff like 'human nail earrings', 'emu bone crowns' and 'human tooth rings'. Do the crowns give a better defence?

Also, one of them apparently picked up a shield, so he's a former lasher turned into a dual-shield-wielder.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 03:29:00 pm »

I always like to have a few companions around. Team work is always fun, and I actually like fighting bigger ambushes.
Plus, you get to form emotional bonds to your meatshields. I still fondly remember the huge muscular blonde miner lady, who joined me after I returned bruised and beaten from my first night creature quest. Ah, the fun times we had... until she got killed by a goblin lord.
It's also hilarious to have companions who just crawl around and kick baddies to death.

Apparently, the kill stealing is a big issue, but it doesn't bother me. If the bad guy is dead, I don't care who did it.

So, yeah, companions are super great. A bit more control over them would be nice, though. If I retreat, I would prefer them to run, too; but Toady will figure something out sooner or later.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 06:19:59 pm »

if your old adventurers had any powers than can still use them.
Right.  I forgot about modded interactions.  Unless that's in the vanilla now, I haven't played the latest version much.

Hmm, I've had 3 guys for a while now, and they're stacked with stuff like 'human nail earrings', 'emu bone crowns' and 'human tooth rings'. Do the crowns give a better defence?
No, but the the vampirism does.
They do, my bad there.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:39:59 pm by Thecard »

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 07:17:13 pm »

Yes. Crowns block attacks, albeit rarely. Not really a problem when you wear the weight of the world's worth of crowns on your head :P

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 04:24:48 pm »

Just out of curiosity, do these guys sleep on their own when I sleep?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 04:27:19 pm »

Just out of curiosity, do these guys sleep on their own when I sleep?

Yes.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 11:30:16 pm »

That's in fact another issue: if you don't wait for them to wake up, (regain consciousness), before traveling, you ditch them. Almost a feature, if people knew about it.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 12:10:44 am »

Only when tackling megabeasts, and even then, only to distract said megabeast from me jamming a sword up its urethra.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 04:20:41 am »

Only in two conditions: First, the early game, for the usual reasons. Second, much later, if I choose to become a necromancer. I hire 20 of the most worthless peasants I can find and go after some powerful opponent. When we arrive, I hang back while they all die (as they're virtually guaranteed to), and the repeatedly reanimate them as my zombie slaves until the titan/large bandit camp/etc is dead. The same can be done against ambushes on my now-large party. This strategy also relieves me of the speed reduction that comes with carrying hundreds of bags of corpses around in my backpack.

Otherwise, they're fairly useless. Occasionally I'll recruit a bowman or two in mid-game to soften up bandits before they get to me, but that's about it.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 10:29:48 am »

As the guy above me said... Though its only one condition for me since I rarely last more than a few hours in adventure mode, they all die sooner or later.

I always have as many companions with me as possible for my fame.  Just because i will live longer.  Kill stealing used to be an issue for me, but that was back before nightcreatures were introduced when I could actually do OK in Adv mode.

Nowadays the only jobs I can find send me after vampires, werebeasts and bandit camps.  All sucky  options for the new character tbh.  Yes I could go train on animals or something, I just never have the patience :p  I just outright fail at adventure mode ever since DF:2010
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.
Pages: 1 [2]