Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Killing a Vampire  (Read 3257 times)

Pantsmansoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Killing a Vampire
« on: August 19, 2012, 06:49:06 pm »

So I have a vampire in my fort. He killed one person, I convicted him and he spent a year in jail. He was out for maybe a month and killed four more people, and I convicted him of all the murders.

He's now serving something like 700 days in jail.

I wish my hammer would just kill him. Can I just assign a squad of my military dwarfs to go and kill him? Will there be repercussions?

I don't want to keep losing valuable dorfs to this guy.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Killing a Vampire
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:01:49 pm »

Easiest way to deal with a Vampire is to wall him off from the rest of your Dwarves. If he can't get to your Dwarves, he can't kill them.

As for killing him, I don't think you can kill one of your Dwarves (unless they go Berserk). You can however cause them to have 'accidents', like under a bridge, in an upright spear trap, under a cave in, (list goes on and on).
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 07:04:16 pm »

No, you can't tell your militia to kill him. Your mechanics, on the other hand...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 08:51:46 pm »

Give him a modesty uniform of leather armour, leather leggings, and leather boots, then wall him up somewhere he has access to slabs and a craftdwarf's workshop. He can then be left there in case everyone else dies, and he can engrave his own slabs to stop angry ghosts getting in and killing him.

You could also set him to work doing other things, so long as you don't mind the slowness of a sober dwarf. Soap might be a good one -- drop in the logs and fat, then use repeat orders to process each material in turn. Since the vampire has nowhere else to go and nothing to do, they'll go through the multiple steps involved in soapmaking without getting distracted.

You can also transfer materials without allowing movement with the use of minecarts.

╔.╬╔╡
╚╬.╝

With track stops:

╔.╬╔≡
≡╬.╝

The left track stop can go anywhere left of the gaps. The fortifications aren't necessary, I just put them in out of habit so that's what I'm transcribing. This route is barely long enough -- the test dwarf would just about move off the track stop tile before the cart hit it again, so a slower one could get hit with this setup.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 11:12:16 pm »

Wait for a goblin siege and send him off to die heroically against absurd odds.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:55:51 am »

A vampire can't actually do any productive work due to alcohol dependency, yet even drinking the blood of a dwarf won't count as booze. This will reduce their pace of work to something slower than glacial.

Also, vampires cannot die of thirst or starvation.

Easy way to get rid of a vampire is to simply wall off the vampire somewhere, and then completely forget about the vampire. Eventually the vampire will go insane. If berserk, use a cage trap, and now you have an eternally berserk vampire in a cage.

If the vampire gets depressed then you can let the vampire out, and you'll have an emo vampire wandering around your meeting zone for the rest of eternity. Due to the vampire being emo, the vampire won't even feed anymore.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:33:00 am »

Make a ballista, then shoot that giant wooden stake through the vampire's heart!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 06:01:27 pm »

They make good bookkeepers, however.  Once they get skilled up enough, that's mostly a idle-time job, where speed really doesn't matter.  Some folks like to use them as job managers as well.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
MY FIRST POST
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 07:37:31 pm »

NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:46:21 am by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 05:57:48 am »

I usually burrow them on my roof. I have no idea why.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 03:59:16 pm »

Some people have used vampires in silk farms and such. They can work as bait, weaver, AND silk-transport! Lock them in, and make the only way out the chute they toss silk down, and they will NEVER escape.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 05:13:42 pm »

You could even make a sealed off mini-fortress populated exclusively by vampires and some fast-breeding nongrazer, and having a butchery, tanner's and leather workshop for clothesmaking. Make a chute where they can drop the meat, bones and excess leather to the fort proper.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 06:51:53 pm »

You could even make a sealed off mini-fortress populated exclusively by vampires and some fast-breeding nongrazer, and having a butchery, tanner's and leather workshop for clothesmaking. Make a chute where they can drop the meat, bones and excess leather to the fort proper.

Alternatively, load up a mine cart with used clothes and dump it into a pit with your vampires. The vampires can wear old rags while hauling the remainders of the rags into a refuse stockpile where it will rot away. Your vampires will always have plenty of clothes and will perform a useful service for your fortress by disposing of refuse.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 06:57:22 pm »

Why not toss in some bonecarving, too? And maybe cooking. Maybe maybe soapmaking.
Sig

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 07:09:30 pm »

I tried having my vampire do crafting. It took him 9-12 months to make one bone crossbow. Worthless vampires.
Pages: [1] 2