Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How often do your dwarves spar?  (Read 1065 times)

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How often do your dwarves spar?
« on: August 21, 2012, 05:31:51 pm »

For the people who train their military mainly by sparring, how often do they spar?
Like, are there always at least two dwarves sparring? More? Do the spar about half the time or more or less?

For me, I have about 40 melee dwarfs and there is sparring about half the time, usually just a couple at a time. Right now, 3 macedwarves are sparring together.

(This post is just another variation on the "how to military" theme.)

Edit for clarification, I mean, in your fort, how often do dwarves spar?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:03:12 am by Xheia »

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
Re: How often do your dwarves spar?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 05:41:25 pm »

It totally depends on how many dwarves are in each squad and how imbalanced their skills are. If you put two dorves in each squad that have similar skills then they will spar a LOT.

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 05:55:07 pm »

It totally depends on how many dwarves are in each squad and how imbalanced their skills are. If you put two dorves in each squad that have similar skills then they will spar a LOT.
Thank. You. usefulknowledge.jpg

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 12:27:09 am »

I don't keep track of it too much, although I have a habit of having sparring sessions between the swordsmaster and the recruit... The recruit doesn't gain too much experience from it, as he doesn't even get a hit
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 01:29:21 am »

It is my understanding that dwarves will train each other through demonstrations until their skills are fairly equal, then spar once they reach that point.

Also, I've noticed that if you bring two military dwarves upon embark, both of which have identical skills, they'll spar so often that by the time a migrant wave arrives they already have the skills to lead one squad each. I use that strategy frequently.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:02:12 am »

I don't keep track of it too much, although I have a habit of having sparring sessions between the swordsmaster and the recruit... The recruit doesn't gain too much experience from it, as he doesn't even get a hit
But they should have some decent defensive skills at that point.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 09:51:04 am »

It is my understanding that dwarves will train each other through demonstrations until their skills are fairly equal, then spar once they reach that point.

Also, I've noticed that if you bring two military dwarves upon embark, both of which have identical skills, they'll spar so often that by the time a migrant wave arrives they already have the skills to lead one squad each. I use that strategy frequently.

Now that's a great idea.  Although I'm usually so dependent on miners in the early months it would kill me just to have two dorfs sitting around sparring...
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 09:56:39 am »

Currently trying 10-Dwarf squads again, with everyone starting at the same military skill(all skills 0). They've been sparring in pairs of 2 for the last 3 months.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 11:16:10 am »

After 3 months, how much were their skills boosted?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 11:26:12 am »

After 3 months, how much were their skills boosted?

From all-zero to weapon level 1, other skills between 0 and 1. They do use some time(though minority of it) to demonstrations, drinking, sleeping etc...

I stop training near weapon skill 10 any way so rate of learning isnt all that important to me. And dont use steel. Makes sieges more fun.  ;D

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 12:05:50 pm »

Once your Recruit stops being a Recruit, the experience will probably start flowing in more quickly. - back in 0.31.25 I had a novice Axedwarf sparring with a legendary Axe Lord and within a few months he reached Great skill and became an axe lord himself.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.