Poll

So....

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30

Author Topic: TrialFires, Noob Fortress!  (Read 37856 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
TrialFires, Noob Fortress!
« on: August 21, 2012, 05:06:32 am »

The Pre-story
In the hellish DeadLands of The Stormy Continent, there lie a journal, wrapped in cat leather and etched with an image of a dwarf on the cover (the national symbol of The Banner of Abbeys). Scrawled within, a record of hardships left by one who's life began to fade away amongst the scorching no-dwarfs land within The Forest of Hoping. Recovered only recently by historians, it tells the tale of one of the many attempts to save the ancient dwarfs from extinction by finding those few regions that are were still unscorched by the sky fires which ravaged our world in those days. It should be noted, that in the last moments of his life, this brave explorer found one of these holiest of lands, and that on the spot that he perished, a great fortress would be built. A fortress known as TrialFires.

"Year 98, 14th Moonstone
The Forest of Hoping...what a ridiculous name for such a place. DAMN SUN! No dwarf should have to be out in these wastes, least of all a doctor....bastards, only reason they sent me is because they think I can patch up my own damn self. Well sure I could, but not when MY FACE IS MELTING! Thank Armok they let me take what supplies I wanted, at least with the cart and the cloth I can move without roasting in this Gods forsaken place. Even if it is slow going, having to use the staff to push the vehicle and stopping when my arm starts feeling warm."

Multiple unrecoverable pages lie between this and the next.

"Year 98, 4th Opal
Least them nobles had the sense to throw me out when winter came, and not during the hotter (oh Armok why would you WANT it hotter then this?) months. In these damn woods I can't tell where the bleedin fuck I'm going, blasted elves, how in the blazes have they managed to survive in this place. What with the sky fires AND ALL THIS DAMNED WOOD IN THE WAY. WHY IS THERE SO MUCH DAMNABLE WOOD? Keep gettin the blasted iron wheels caught in the undergrowth and have to make a mad dash to get it out before my beard catches ablaze. HOW ARE THOSE FORSAKEN TREES STILL THERE? ITS HOT ENOUGH TO CATCH *ME* ON FIRE BUT NOT THEM? Stupid STUPID forest....."

More ruined pages, months of history lost to the elements...

"Year 98(?) sometime in obsidian probably...its getting even more unbearable in this blasted place..
So...a mountain...finally someplace traversible....unfort" Note: there are small amounts of dryed blood on this page and increasingly large amounts on pages afterward, it is assumed that the author was beaten to produce these small amounts and the larger quantities come from when his skin started melting.

"DAMN BLOODY TREEFUCKING ELVES!"

"Year oh who gives a bloody fuck....
Well the carts gone, along with most of the cloth that I was covering myself with. I had to run from the elves after their little shitfit about me using tree products to KEEP MY BLOODY SELF ALIVE. They tore me up good, luckily I still had some suture equipment and got most of the bleeding down after I found a shady outcropping to not MELT under...so little of the cloth left... I'm gonna have to start running and hope I reach the safe region before my skin burns off....if its not just a blasted fairytale to begin with...."

"HAHA...AHAHAHAHAAHAHAH I MADE IT I FUCKING MADE IT WHEW! HAHA FUCKING ELVES HAHAHAHAHA IM SO BLODDY HAPPY TO NOT BURN HEHEHEHEHE"

"Heh....well I made it...and its bloody beautiful...I dont think I'm gonna make it much longer now though....the sky fires got me bad....so much blood....but its so cool here....Its almost like the cave back home....back when nanny used to make them cat biscuit casseroles...mmmmm hehe....its as good a spot to stay as I'll ever see"

Note: This journal appears to have been carted off from the TrialFires site only to later be lost in the wastes once again until many years later it was discovered by a passing fisherdwarf...the dwarf corpse found near the journal by the TrialFires dwarves was given a burial on the hill right outside the forts grounds, where he had finally collapsed from the blood loss.

Well embark site 1 (volcano place) is the winner

Version 34.10 Noob succession fort with Veteran Community oversight
Fort Overseer Order List: Inform me if you wont make it/don't want the spot
BFEL (me) (COMPLETE)
Melkor (COMPLETE)
Apiks (COMPLETE)
Sus (COMPLETE)
TheKaspa (SKIPPED)
NAV (COMPLETE)
Tulx (NEXT)
Markressler
Melkor 2nd
BFEL 2nd
Apiks 2nd

Saves:
Year One Complete-BFEL's save-http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6828
Year Two Complete-Melkor's save-http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6848
Year Three Complete-Apiks' save-http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6882
Year Four Complete (The End of Captain Mountainhomes) Sus' save-http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6913
Year Five Complete-NAV's magmafall-http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6945
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:55:58 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: TrialFires, Noob Fortress!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 06:02:47 am »

Go on anyway.

Let the first goal be to make a waterfall at meeting hall
EDIT: 3-level high waterfall, to be precise. With statues and engravings at your wish.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:18:13 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 07:34:15 am »

I approve of this, although I would recomend a different starting challange if there is no river/lake/ocean/aquifer (none come to mind tho).

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:23:24 am »

Finding watersource is a challenge too. But magmafall is also possible.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 11:31:37 am »

Hmm so should I start this fort up then? I'm not certain if I'm technically a noob but I havent really made anything more complex then a working drawbridge up to this point so theres that in my "favor". I recently began trying to desalinate water from the ocean, but my game froze before I could potentially flood my fort XD. Also before we start challenges we should pick an embark site. What do you guys think?

Indeed, I do this.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 12:30:50 pm »

i would like to join
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:14:58 pm »

Count me in.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 02:37:39 pm »

Ok so looks like we have some players to pass this to! so atm the list is Me, Melkor, Apiks, in that order....now we need to gen a world, pick an embark site and start this crazy thing.

Indeed, I do this.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 06:06:36 pm »

I don't think I'm a total noob anymore, so I'll hand out your second goal rather than signing up.

Ready?
Quantum stockpiles via minecart.
It's pretty easy to set up and it's a major space saver and efficiency gain compared to massive stockpiles.
IMO it's something everybody ought to know how to do, even if they don't always use it.

Bonus points if you manage to get it running without killing any dwarves, maiming is acceptable.

Super bonus points if you also make a shotgun that can be used for Defense purposes.
Extra super bonus points if the shotgun "accidentally" kills a nobel or the entire population.

how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 02:29:22 am »

Should Noobs make world and choose location themselves, or Pros do that for them?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 05:28:01 am »

well I'm genning the world myself, then I'll prob have the pros vote on embark site.

oh btw I use the MayDay graphics pack, will that mess up the succession at all?

Well I genned a world...and its so hot my dwarves began melting after being outside too long...oops...the ocean boiling shoulda been a tip off
>.>
<.<
....should we still use it?  :D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:31:30 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 06:49:54 am »

holy carp...

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 06:54:57 am »

well I'm genning the world myself, then I'll prob have the pros vote on embark site.

oh btw I use the MayDay graphics pack, will that mess up the succession at all?

Well I genned a world...and its so hot my dwarves began melting after being outside too long...oops...the ocean boiling shoulda been a tip off
>.>
<.<
....should we still use it?  :D

Maybe if theres a non-ocean boiling spot in that world, although im SURE that theres plenty of people lurking these forums who would want that fort. I don't think that this is good for a beginers fort though...

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 07:51:51 am »

well I found a couple spots under scorching, If I can figure out how to do screenshots I'll have you guys vote on em.

Oh also I think the dwarves in this world are extinct....there dont seem to be any dwarven civs on the history map so....yeah this fort is gonna be !FUN!

Ok turns out there is at least one dwarf civ, still dont know why it wouldnt let me adventure as a dwarf but whatever. So still have to figure out how to do screenshots so I can show you guys potential embarks (as in the ones that arent basically ON FIRE)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:15:56 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 06:16:19 pm »

Okay figured out some screenshots...hopefully they post correctly, my computer is a bitch about showing me images recently so I cant tell from the prefiew
3 diff potential embarks, all in non face melty places:

This one has deep metals, aquifer, flux and a volcano, also its next to a gobbo fort so !FUN!
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Ok for embark number 2 we have deep and shallow metals, but no flux, no aquifer, and a nice little brook
[/URL]

Embark 3 features THE OCEAN OF BOILYNESS, but still less melty land temp so it should be a bit less difficult then my first attempt...just dont try to go fishing.
[/URL]

And as a bonus here's the site of my first embark, the one where all the dwarves turned into candles right next to the sea. Notice that the ocean is classified as Joyous Wilds, this is for ALL oceans, so embark site 3 will prob have mermaids and maybe even sea serpents. Just to let you know.
[/URL]

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30