Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Live Adventure (Community Adventure Mode)  (Read 938 times)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
The Live Adventure (Community Adventure Mode)
« on: November 18, 2013, 09:58:35 pm »

Yes, you read that title right. We're doing a community adventure mode character. And no, not a succession game. We're going to do this thing LIVE.

THE ADVENTURE OF LIVELYHOOD: THE GAME.

So WTF is this:

The basic premise of this is that we will use DFTerm3 to play an adventure mode session live, as in we will watch as the player plays, and make suggestions and all that. I would attempt this on Fortress Mode, but unfortunately DFTerm3 is not very well optimized for Fortress Mode at this point. I assume you all know what Adventure Mode is.

You need nothing except a non-Internet Explorer browser to connect. Something like Google Chrome or Firefox works, Safari is untested in DFTerm3. I will host the game on my home desktop, and you need no external programs except for your browser. The console is a basic screen projecting my Dwarf Fortress game, and basic text box for chatting.

How will we play this?
Pretty simple. Once everyone arrives in the first session, we will begin a scratch world with simple "Create New World!" parameters. No advanced gen, just the simple parameters. Version is 34.11. We will then collectively go through the process of creating a character, and then starting. I'll start first, and then it goes down the list of people who sign up. It's up to you guys how long a turn lasts; it could be per quest, per kill, per character, or the ridiculous notion of all of us at once. It's up to you. Then we carry on from there.

Chat is to follow the Forum Guidelines of Bay12. Other than that, you're mostly fine. Don't be too vulgar also, let's keep this gentlemanly (or ladylike).

What I need from you:
We will host this in anywhere from twenty minute to hour sessions. Here is what I need from you:

-Frequency (Will we host these sessions every 3-4 days? Every week? Every 2 days? Etc.)
-Session Limit (How long do you want the session to run? Max is two hours, preferably shorter.)
-Turn Length (Explained above.)
-Beginning Date and Time (What day do you want to launch this off?)

G'luck everyone. There's no player limit for now, but if I decide that it would get out of hand at a certain point, well, I reserve the right to change that :D.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: The Live Adventure (Community Adventure Mode)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 02:47:13 am »

Darn you and your prejudice against my Internet Explorer!

I demand that you post update logs in-thread of your shenanigans, to compensate.

Also, I vote you all do your turns at once.
Actually, make it a drinking game, everyone has to have a bottle of alcohol on hand, and if they want to give the adventurer an action, they have to take a drink.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:54:51 am »

Hey, don't blame me, blame websockets, which DFTerm requires and IE doesn't have.
And yes, I'll post updates. And it would be interesting to see everyone go at once :D

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 11:00:44 am »

Depending on the time (I have quite an strange college timetable) I might be really interested on this.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?