Poll

So....

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30

Author Topic: TrialFires, Noob Fortress!  (Read 37838 times)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: TrialFires, Noob Fortress!
« Reply #315 on: September 13, 2012, 04:09:25 am »

You can forbid doors, you know...

But yeah, I think a couple of +obsidian floodgate+s are in order, to prevent somebody from jamming a butterfly corpse between the doors or over-filling the moat.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:10:56 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 13, 2012, 05:45:02 am »

LOL I know you can forbid doors, but its just funny imagining UristMcMeltface opening that door XD
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 13, 2012, 06:47:41 am »

Urist McDoofus: "Hmm, I wonder what the door prize for door #2 would have been... ??? "
*KA-MAGMA!*
‼Urist McDoofus‼: "Armok, WHY?  :'( "
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 13, 2012, 02:59:27 pm »

Timber 16th, 110
The first obsidian floodgate for the magma works is in place. Now we'll be able to prevent the magma moat from overflowing.

I designate a lot of coffins for burial, since we're starting to have a pretty significant ghostly population down here. So far the restless spirits don't seem too malignant, but that will be just a matter of time, I predict. So get on carving more of those coffins dammit!

The farm reorganization is complete, with the less essential plants moved to the smaller plots and each plot given a speciality of one plant to grow. I expand the seed stockpile as well and set it to accept potash for fertilization. I notice we don't seem to have an ashery or soap maker's workshop, so I order those built. The outdoor greenhouse will have to wait for now.

Our military is making busy with the trainings and assigned a liberal contigent of war dogs. Damn but there's a lot of dogs, puppies and kittens here! We also seem to have acquired a Giant brown recluse spider (tame). How'd that happen? Oh, and a tame skunk. How lovely. Guess who has an appointment with the butcher?

There's a large, unused room near the trade depot. Say hello to our new finished goods stockpile!

I've just started a wood cutting and plant harvesting operation, when...
An ambush! Curse them!
Oh goddammit it. I manage to get everybody indoors and slam the outer bridge shut in the nick of time.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Timber 18th, 110
Right, that tears it. I'm sending out our military, such as it is. With all those dogs, they should at least have a fighting chance. Maybe.
Can of whoopass, set:
Serve!

22nd Timber, 110
And so our militia sets upon the goblin menace.
Certainly nobody can doubt their braverey and tenacity...
...but unfortunately, compared to the gobs, they are woefully under armed, and that shows.
Not to be outdone, our sturdy militia resorts to their natural weapons and the legendary dwarven brutality.
Also, it never hurts to have your friendly neighbourghood experimental super soldier around with his +steel battle axe+.
Then our crossbow guys set some bolts flying and the caravan guards join the fray.
Suddenly things aren't looking too good for our goblin friends.
Soon they all lie in a bloody heap on the field of valor. Victory for Trialfires!
Now, to get on with the whole trading business... I cancel the civil alert and start moving our trade goods topwards the depot.
Whoa. We really have a metric fuck ton of trade goods and tools. Suspending production of mugs, jugs and nest boxes, effective immediately.

It's nice to have some peace for a c...
Oh, for fuck's sake!  ::)

This time it's a crossbowman and some pikemen. Our militia is too battered to do anyhting about them.
I guess we'll be turtlin' then.

1st Moonstone, 110
An unfortunate construction worker doesn't make it indoors before the gates slam shut again. I hear him desperately banging on the unyielding stone of the front gate, begging to be let in. Unfortunately, I can't risk it. The needs of the many... The banging and pleading is eventually replaced with goblins' gaggling and the sounds of battle and death. Poor bastard never stood a chance.  :'(

The trading still doesn't happen for the simple reason nobody has the presence of mind to actually deal with the merchants.  >:(
You bloody morons, we needed those plump helmets and steel bars! *'Sus', Overseer is throwing a tantrum!*

Meanwhile, the goblins pull their vansihing act again, save for one pikeman, who gets pincushioned with bolts and has his skull bashed in with a crossbow.

Opal 13th, 110
The mental strain of constant ambushes is starting to show. A few of the craftsdwarves finally snap under trhe strain and start babbling madly, discarding their clothes where they may and giving up food and booze altogether. Alåth Idgim, on the other hand, responds to the stress by suddenly starting to speak in tongues and locking himself inside a crafts shop.

Woe be us! Our superhero Captain Mountainhomes is one of the victims of the foul mood, lapsing into a deep, brooding depression. D:
So pass the great ones...

The magma forging complex nears completion, despite rebelliopus workers sabotaging the effort by refusing to make magma-safe floodgates and canceling the task of linking the existing floodgate to its activation lever, thus preventing the miners from opening up the magma tube. However, my time as Overseer is running out, so I shall make haste to finish the outstanding projects...

The magma garbage dump I've been working on at the top of the volcano is ready. For my next act, I shall mark all worn-out and otherwise useless clothing, bullshit wooden "armor" and such for dumping.

Opal 25th, 110
Alåth emerges from the craft shop, exhausted but triumphant, raising a really fancy-looking bracelet. Our broker says it's worth sixty six thousand Urists.
The image on that thing makes me go all cross-eyed though. How can it have an image of itself, containing an image of itself, containing...
Uh, snap out of it Sus, there's still work to do...

My private chambers are only missing a few finishing touches. So are the magma forges.

Just for shits and giggles, I designate a fighting pit on top of the magma dump hole and assign a hamster (tame) in it. Let's see how he likes stuffing his cheeks with magma!

It suddenly occurs to me we have neither a farmer's workshop nor a bowyer's shop. I order them built in our already-crowded main workshop area.

Spring has arrived!

...Welp, unfortunately I didin't have the time to quite seal the deal on the magma forges, or my personal quarters...  :( I guess the next guy is going to have to pick it up from here.

The most pressing issues are finishing the magma forges, forging some weapons and armor for the militias, and building a roof over the magma dump chute near the farms.
(Also, please complete my quarters on lvl 111!  :D )

Hope you have better luck with the merchants than I did; not a single successful trade all year.

So, with that, The Save!

Have ‼Fun‼! :D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:17:04 pm by Sus »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 13, 2012, 04:32:47 pm »

Captain Mountainhomes is dead. I didn't think that would happen. Maybe dwarves can't rely on their might alone.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 13, 2012, 04:39:44 pm »

Nooo! Poor Captain MountainHomes. He will be sorely missed. Anyway, how could you send my guards to fight Sus! They're my guards. Not the fort's. (there goes my greedy attitude). Well atleast my chambers are still the badassest thing in the fort. Good luck TheKaspa. I look foward to what you will accomplish.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 13, 2012, 05:29:46 pm »

good luck The Kaspa! try to actually train our army, maybe even give them armour.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 13, 2012, 07:40:09 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YOU BASTARD! HOW COULD YOU LET MOUNTAINHOMES DIE! HE WAS MY ONLY NON-INSANE AVATAR IN THIS WORLD :P

Oh well, as you saw in the last Mountainhomes Journal, hes a horndog, so technically all the kids in the fort now are his :P Just rename the most badass one Lil' Mountainhomes and I'll be happy :)

Indeed, I do this.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 14, 2012, 01:40:36 am »

good luck The Kaspa! try to actually train our army, maybe even give them armour.

It will be a challenge, since I have never tried a real training, to say nothing of giving them armour.
I think that I'll relocate part of the main depot and use the "trade room" as a goblin butchery (balista north, south and east).

Please remind me which tileset are we using
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 14, 2012, 01:48:18 am »

The tileset is Phoebus, TheKaspa.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 14, 2012, 02:02:26 am »

The Cap didn't actually die in combat, it's just his mind snapped from all the death of his buddies and the dismal conditions in general. I think he's still alive (technically), but suffering from melancholy, i.e. wont to commit suicide in the near future. :(

Totally did not see that coming.

The battle, in itself, went pretty well considering, but after all the dead immigrants, it (and the following goblin siege) was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back, shattering the middle spine's bone and tearing apart the nervous tissue. After that, pretty much everybody went into Tantrum Mode or insane.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:10:56 am by Sus »

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 14, 2012, 06:30:12 am »

I'm sorry but I just received an urgent university assignment, I have to pass.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 14, 2012, 06:31:00 am »

I guess that means you're up NAV.
Founder of Teh LOLmod

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 14, 2012, 06:33:28 am »

Just noticed I havent updated the OP in a long time, any new entries for turns that I missed?

Oh and by the way WHERE THE HELL IS THAT WATERFALL IN THE DINING HALL? :P We were supposed to have that done ages ago so the vets could give us some new challenges.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:58:04 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 14, 2012, 01:15:36 pm »

Okay, so it's my turn.
This should be interesting.
I will try to make a waterfall in the dining room. Do dwarves like magmafalls as much as they like waterfalls?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30