Poll

So....

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30

Author Topic: TrialFires, Noob Fortress!  (Read 37451 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: TrialFires, Noob Fortress!
« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2012, 06:16:28 am »

The gobbos are just mad that Apiks suggested they would interbreed with....elves...
So yeah they have good reason to hate us :P

SOON WE SHALL HAVE OUR FORT TURNED ENTIRELY INTO WERESKINKS, AND UNLEASH OUR TEMPORARILY SLIGHTLY BETTER THEN CIVILIAN POPULATION ON THE WORLD, HEHEHEHEHEHE

also 300th post goes to me....holy shit I just get all these for some reason :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 10, 2012, 12:05:49 pm »

1st Hematite, 110
Not surprisingly, an epic free-for-all clusterfuck broke out between the rampaging wereskink and goblins. Also elves. Also not surprisingly, the goblins spank the everliving crap out of the other combatants. And elves.

Turns out we do have a barracks, which means at least one of our squads is getting some training time in. Unfortunately, our military still consists of Not Marksdwarves, Not Axedwarves and Not Hammerdwarves, one squad each. After the additional barracks and shooting range get dug out, the hammerdorfs and marksdorfs should get into training as well. I'm also considering the option of conscriptiong our miners into a pickmurder squad...

However, as it stands, there's still still have no way our militia can hack through the three
An ambush! Curse them!
...four squads of goblins roaming outside. Besides, our resources for making any new weapons and armor are still rather limited. The only thing I can think of to throw at the ambushers is our entire horde of war dogs plus assorted (giant) wildlife, or going the Boatmurdered route and rigging up Project: Fuck The World, pumping magma from the volcanic cone onto the enemies below. Neither is without risk, but both are still mariginally better than sending out the "military".
Of course, there's also the passive option of simply keeping the gates closed, slowly building up our strength and maybe waiting for a passing human or dwarf caravan to thin the goblin horde out a bit. I think I'll go with that last one for now; plenty of things to do indoors before having to worry about reclaiming the surface.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 10, 2012, 12:12:48 pm »

Oh sorry but I forgot to tell you that the "Apiks' Guards" Squad also have a barracks in my chambers. They be my protectors as you might've noticed. So that makes 2 barracks. Interesting how we're walled in again.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 10, 2012, 12:58:09 pm »

Okay. Now we got us a relatively mud-free well (as well as a way for any winged forgotten beasts to pop in and say hello), three four barracks, and a shooting range.  Meanwhile, our miners report hitting a veritable mother lode of gold and copper in the obsidian layers. Most excellent!

What we don't have, unfortunately, is wood. I may have to risk digging a magma channel for forges and smelters after all. It should be possible to do with relatively little losses as long as I put in a pressure-controlling diagonal...
However, without any tin ore, we'll be limited to crude copper equipment, which is ...less than optimal.

Some migrants have arrived!
Well, crap. These guys must have a death wish or something. They telepathically confirm the previous migrant wave as dead, and then their minds flicker and fade as well.

Uhh... Been keeping awake on *quarry bush tea* alone for way too long. Yhis overseein' stuff sure is a lot of work.
I'll just lay down plans for a new tomb complex (tiny little niches for the hoi polloi, some larger chambers for nobles) and call it a day.

Stay tuned for the next update, menacing with spikes of ‼miner‼s and decorated with hanging rings of goblin bone! (Or is it?)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 10, 2012, 01:16:43 pm »

The only problem I see with the Boatmurdered route, is how do we STOP the magma after it starts? :P
If you can figure that out then you have the Captain Mountainhomes seal of approval!

Indeed, I do this.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 10, 2012, 04:37:17 pm »

good writing sus! you seem like an efficient, sensible overseer. i think we have obsidian, so you could make swords out of that. you could aLSO PUMP THE MAGMA OUT OF THE VOLCANO AND ONTO THE GOBLins.

sorry, i accidently hit capslock and dont want to retype.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 10, 2012, 08:00:06 pm »

The safest way is to set up a reservoir one level above the current top of the lava, use a pump to fill it.
Use floodgates made out of something magma safe to start/stop the flow.
Be aware that the mechanisms used to connect the floodgates to the lever must also be magma safe.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 11, 2012, 12:18:17 pm »

melkor's log 15th fellsite 110
i have heard that there is anothere wereskink, i will be staying in may room.
no way i am comming out, also i have a weapon rack and a armor stand so i should be ab...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Tulx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 11, 2012, 02:30:02 pm »

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 11, 2012, 04:36:27 pm »

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!

This deserves a sig

Indeed, I do this.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2012, 11:10:39 pm »

8th Galena, 110
I've laid out the plans for a dig to tap the magma in the volcano at the lowest level of the fortress (to avoid any accidental ‼Fun‼ with the magma) and a corridor for the magma furnaces and forges above that and am going to catch a nap when there's a commotion in one of the bedrooms. The craftsdwarf Onul Asobenkos bolts out of the door yelling, "I've got it! I've got it!" and flailing wildly.
"Uh, got what, Onul?"
"Outtaway! Need workshop!"
He shoves me aside rudely and runs into the leather works. He starts tossing the stuff in there on the floors, shuffling papers all over the place and muttering to himself.
Apparently this is what is known as a "strange mood". Onul has become obsessed with creating the perfect artifact, the sum of all his hopes, fears and aspirations, whatever that may turn out to be. I fear he may go insane unless we have whatever it is his grand vision requires, but my fears turn out to be baseless: pretty much immediately he's found everything he needs, and starts a mysterious construction. I wonder what he's going to make...

Meanwhile, a human caravan arrives. Unfortunately, the goblin scum is still plaguing the outdoors, so I can't risk opening the gates. The humans' wagons pass by our site altogether, while the more persistent merchants and guards hang around in hopes they'll find another way in.

Onul soon finishes his artifact:
Turns out it's one bitchin' quiver. Our first marksdwarf to hit legendary is going to have quite a prize for his trouble.

I take a look at the latest surveillance reports to see how many goblins are still lurking about, and...
Wait, what? ???  Where'd they go?

I'm going to open the depot and see if the humans make it inside. Maybe we'll get to trade after all.
...Nope. The humans do get to the depot, but they seem to have forgotten all about why they came here in the first place. The goblins don't show up again though, so Trialfires is once again open for business! \ :D /

Autumn comes, without further incident. A lot of dead bodies turn up upon re-exploring the formerly besieged surface level.

24th Limestone, 110
The work on our grand necropolis has begun. The first coffins are already being mounted in the burial niches and tomb chambers.
Here's hoping this will help put some of the restless spirits of the dead wandering about in the fortress to rest.

The forge works is nearly done, too, only needing one -obsidian door- to be installed and a brave ‼miner‼ to dig out the final tile between the magma tap channel and the volcano.
After that, it's Copper Smeltin' Time!

Note to Self: order all the tin and bismuth (plus cassiterite and bismuthinite) they can muster at the Mountainhomes. Also, we desperately need iron and steel.

Finally, I've ordered some additional farm plots to be built so we can move the growing of less essential plants to these smaller plots. From now on, it's going to be strictly one type of plant per farm plot. I'm also considering building a greenhouse so we can grow some of those strange above-ground plants as well.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 12, 2012, 06:49:34 am »

O.O NECROPOLIS!

Indeed, I do this.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 12, 2012, 08:22:48 am »

O.O NECROPOLIS!
Erm, not in the Warhammer Fantasy sense of the word... :D

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 12, 2012, 10:05:52 am »

Do we have some magma-safe floodgates? I'm worried about having just a door between the magma-moat and the stairs...
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

My fucking armok, you broke the game.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 12, 2012, 10:19:41 am »

"huh I never been through this door here at the top o dese stairs before"
"OHGODWHYLAVA?" *dies incredibly horrid death*

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30