Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS Investing in Factories  (Read 1962 times)

glein

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
LCS Investing in Factories
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:33:05 am »

I'm trying to create the newspaper.  How do I do this?  I know you have to get a printing press but where in the menu is this?  I've looked in every menu and I've looked all over the internet for answers to this.

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS Investing in Factories
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:20:02 am »

I think it's Z(?) to switch from squad mode to locations mode, then you can keep hitting Z to cycle through them until you can (I)nvest in one. There should be 3 you can invest in, unless you got the crack house as an additional safehouse.

glein

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:35:00 am »

Fantastic.  Thanks.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 02:00:44 pm »

Remember, to USE it you must have one person in that safehouse at any one time with the "write for the liberal guardian" action.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 02:56:17 pm »

From my experience, you don't actually need anyone manning the printing press to publish secrets. Not sure whether this is a bug. There's always the huge public opinion benefit for having liberals actually write for the thing, of course, so it's a good idea to keep your newspaper staffed.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:09:40 pm »

Not a bug that you can publish secrets without someone actively working there, but you can only get benefits from day-to-day spin on your activities if you have people actively writing the stories.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:16:09 pm »

Do the day to day Liberal Guardian stories do anything, or is it just for flavor?
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 05:03:03 pm »

Not a bug that you can publish secrets without someone actively working there, but you can only get benefits from day-to-day spin on your activities if you have people actively writing the stories.

I am not sure if you can say "Not a bug". Certainly nothing wrong with the programing.

It all depends if this was intentional or simply not altered.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 02:38:14 am »

I am not sure if you can say "Not a bug". Certainly nothing wrong with the programing.

It all depends if this was intentional or simply not altered.

Intentional. I added the concept of people assigned to write for the guardian, and I made special editions exempt from that requirement. I can see why it might seem like an oversight, but there's a good reason for this choice.

Special editions happen once a month at the end of the month. If we made it require someone working at the guardian, you'd need to assign someone to it once per month, for one day, at the end of the month, to get the event to trigger. This isn't a meaningful resource allocation decision, the way having regular writers for the guardian is; it's just busywork and fiddly trouble for the player. What if you forget, the month turns over, and you assign someone to write on the first of the month? No special edition, and no good reason for it either.

The alternative would be to have special editions triggered manually, by activating someone and assigning them to write one up. This would remove the once-per-month pacing that lets special editions be very big, but not the while point of the game. Right now, they're very powerful, and balanced primarily by their infrequency and the requirement that you choose what evidence to publish in any given month, rather than just being able to dump everything out there at once.

We could have the special edition activation button say "No Evidence To Publish" or "Already Published This Month" when disabled, and restrict things to once a month again; that would fix most of the issues, but it would have the disadvantage of being harder for a new player to stumble into than the once-per-month prompt that happens now. Maybe that's worth it, but even if it is, I'm not sure there's a real problem to fix in the first place by going this route.

I would rather fix any confusion about this by changing the text on the special edition screen, to give an intro paragraph that changes based on whether you have writers for the guardian or not. If you do, it says your writers are itching to write up a special edition revealing some of the scandalous data you've acquired. If you don't, the text implies your founder will take an evening to write up the article.