Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Were-beast powered clock.  (Read 9135 times)

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
Were-beast powered clock.
« on: August 22, 2012, 03:14:19 pm »

I'm not sure if anyone has done this before, but I had an idea for a way of making a timer for machines using were-beasts. The machine would be pretty simple. The infected dwarf would be placed ina 1*1 room with a life supply of food and drink (much like dwarven child care) atop a pressure plate, set to be triggered by non-civilians. That way whenever the dwarf transforms, it becomes a non-civilian, setting of the pressure-plate. Even if the dwarf set off the pressure plate when not transformed or the transformed dwarf counted as a civilian. You could acheive the same goal by setting the preassure plate to be set off by civilans at just over the weight of a large dwarf. that way when they transform, the gained mass sets off the pressure plate.

I have not tried this yet, and so I'm not sure which way would be most effective, but I'm almost certain this would work. It would allow you to make things happen every full moon. you could use it to automate a GCS silk farm by opening floodgates to give it a line of sight to a chained animal, and close said floodgates to allow dwarves to collect the webs, maybe even incorperating a door that locks when the spider has line of sight, thus making it less likely that dwarves will be caught in the webs.

Any ideas for ways to use and/or improve this "were-clock". One idea I have is that you could make it so the dwarf has line of sight to a legendary dining room to keep them from going melancholy, the design I have in mind is something like this:

Code: [Select]
+++++++++++
++.......++
++.BBBBB.++
+..BBBBB..+
+.BB===BB.+
+.BB|W|BB.+
+.BB===BB.+
+..BBBBB..+
++.BBBBB.++
++.......++
+++++++++++

key:
+ = floor (part of dining room)
. = pit (to keep stupuid dwarves from being crushed by the bridges)
B = bridge connected to the clock (raising in the direction of the clock to keep other dwarves happy and un-frightened)
= and | = glass or fortifications
W = the clock itself

once agian, any improvements or uses are appreciated.  :D
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Were-beast powered clock.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 03:23:35 pm »

... This is brilliant.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 03:31:02 pm »

Incredible.

Do werebeasts live forever?

If so, couple them with a dorfvault that drops a steady stream of plump helmets and bone pots (is that possible?) or barrels of alcohol through the werebeast hole. It's the dwarf way of timing out a month, and only requires sealing away a breeding pair of potash makers to keep the clock going forever.

Even better - after fifty years, the youngest dwarf gets assigned to a secret bedroom below the bridge level. A bridge opens, the access to the rest of the vault closes, and the child becomes the next lunar timepiece once the old werebeast is also smashed by a bridge. Lovely.
My wooden badge was delicious.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 03:37:20 pm »

Incredible.

If so, couple them with a dorfvault that drops a steady stream of plump helmets and bone pots (is that possible?) or barrels of alcohol through the werebeast hole. It's the dwarf way of timing out a month, and only requires sealing away a breeding pair of potash makers to keep the clock going forever.

Even better - after fifty years, the youngest dwarf gets assigned to a secret bedroom below the bridge level. A bridge opens, the access to the rest of the vault closes, and the child becomes the next lunar timepiece once the old werebeast is also smashed by a bridge. Lovely.

I believe were-beasts live forever, because I have seen 138 year-old ones in legends mode, so while eventual replacement might be possible, It wasn't part of the plan as that would require access to another square that doesn't have a pressure plate, thus causing the clock to sometimes, if not always, fail. The DorfVault 2.0, however, should work perfectly with this design as I believe were-beasts still require food, unlike vampires.
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 03:39:58 pm »

Dwarves can live to be 180, check out the ages of some of your "clean" citizens.

The wiki doesn't seem to say anything ???
My wooden badge was delicious.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 03:41:55 pm »

Dwarves can live to be 180, check out the ages of some of your "clean" citizens.

The wiki doesn't seem to say anything ???

well, I don't beleive any fort has lasted anywhere near that long, so I would suggest simply using a young were-beast, just in case.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 03:48:13 pm »

You don't need to feed the were-beast clock. If a dwarf is a were-beast they will transform before they die of starvation and transforming eliminates hunger.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 03:59:18 pm »

I don't know if you can make a were-creature a vampire as well, but that would remove the need for food, and resolve any old age death issues.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 04:08:34 pm »

You don't need to feed the were-beast clock. If a dwarf is a were-beast they will transform before they die of starvation and transforming eliminates hunger.

If the time it takes a dwarf to starve is shorter than the time between two full moons, that would make design a lot simpler. Thanks!  :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 06:01:42 pm »

Yes

It will however make them very unhappy. So either drop some food/booze or choose a Dwarf who's hardened to tragedy.

I don't know if you can make a were-creature a vampire as well, but that would remove the need for food, and resolve any old age death issues.
Not possible.

Also the full moon happens on the 23rd in Fortress mode (as far as I can tell), and lasts for 2 days. There is one snag however, aren't werebeasts trap avoid?

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 06:22:04 pm »

There is one snag however, aren't werebeasts trap avoid?

That is a problem, now that I think about it. a possible way of fixing it would be to trap it with a tame GCS, that way, when it transforms it gets bitten, is paralyzed, and triggers the preassure plate, and it would recover when the full moon stopped. even if the GCS bit him while he wasn't transformed, he would just be paralyzed until the full moon. (you'd have to make sure the pressure plate was set so that he couldn't trigger it by being paralyzed when not transformed)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:23:42 pm by +!!scientist!!+ »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 06:46:04 pm »

That is a problem, now that I think about it. a possible way of fixing it would be to trap it with a tame GCS, that way, when it transforms it gets bitten, is paralyzed, and triggers the preassure plate, and it would recover when the full moon stopped. even if the GCS bit him while he wasn't transformed, he would just be paralyzed until the full moon. (you'd have to make sure the pressure plate was set so that he couldn't trigger it by being paralyzed when not transformed)

Eh, if Weres are trapavoid, the clock should still work, but instead of detecting the mass of the were, you detect the mass of the dwarf.  Basically instead of opening the door 2 days out of a month, you close a door for all but 2 days.  Different logic path, same end result.  Unless I'm missing something :P
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 06:46:47 pm »

Werebeasts don't get [TRAP_AVOID] so they should be able to trigger traps in their beastform if they are not a member of your civ. I'm not certain of the exact details but I have caught many werebeasts in regular cage traps, some of which have been dwarves. I'm not sure if they are treated like berserk dwarves (which can be trapped) if they were originally your own dwarves that got infected.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 08:00:57 pm »

Will an infected dwarf werebeast only scare animals when transformed? If so, a trapped one could cause a pastured animal to run away over a pressure plate or something.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 08:40:47 pm »

Eh, if Weres are trapavoid, the clock should still work, but instead of detecting the mass of the were, you detect the mass of the dwarf.  Basically instead of opening the door 2 days out of a month, you close a door for all but 2 days.  Different logic path, same end result.  Unless I'm missing something :P
You've got a clock :P

Will an infected dwarf werebeast only scare animals when transformed?
Yes. A Dwarf infected with were-ism can also do all the jobs a normal Dwarf can (usually better too). Basically a really good Dwarf until full moon.
Pages: [1] 2