Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Were-beast powered clock.  (Read 9089 times)

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Re: Were-beast powered clock.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 04:50:31 am »

You don't need to feed the were-beast clock. If a dwarf is a were-beast they will transform before they die of starvation and transforming eliminates hunger.
It will however make them very unhappy. So either drop some food/booze or choose a Dwarf who's hardened to tragedy.
There is another solution: engrave the walls of the chamber, and make the pressure plate out of an artifact mechinism.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 09:26:04 am »

I always want to think about moods and thoughts when doing something that involves permenantly locking somebody away, such as a time capsule, control lever room, or, in this case, a clock.

Does the were-transformation cancel moods?  If so, will they come back after the lunar cycle?  This is some good !!Science!! to do, I would think.

If it DOES cancel a mood, then will the dwarf be subject to a subsequent mood?  Dwarves can normally only have one mood, either they succeed or go mad and do something to themselves or others that ends in !!fun!! for the moody dwarf (and possibly a tantrum spiral).  If the mood is negated by were-ism, will they have another go sometime down the line?

Also, clothing is a consideration.  Drop in new *Socks* now and then?  Or will the negative thoughts of being without proper trousers be doused at moon phase before driving the poor sod bonkers?

If they HAVE managed to go SRM because his mother was killed in siege, somebody smashed his artifact Ice Trumpet and his kitten died, with the were-transformation set his mood meter back to an even keel?  So much !!Science!! to do for these were-creatures.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 10:23:07 am »

Does the were-transformation cancel moods?  If so, will they come back after the lunar cycle?  This is some good !!Science!! to do, I would think.
I don't know, it's never happened before. I guess with enough time someone with a were-dwarf will win the mood lottery...

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 10:30:57 am »

Make the were-beast male - if they're female, it's possible that the constant dehydration/starvation will cause a miscarriage (magic spores, amirite?) and a GIGANTIC mood drop.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 11:15:09 am »

Make the were-beast male - if they're female, it's possible that the constant dehydration/starvation will cause a miscarriage (magic spores, amirite?) and a GIGANTIC mood drop.
A female dwarf can only become pregnant if she is married (which is probably unlikely for a werebeast) and she is capable of pathing to her husband (which will be impossible if she's sealed inside a room with no exit).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 12:33:09 am »

I don't know, it's never happened before. I guess with enough time someone with a were-dwarf will win the mood lottery...

Be interesting if it is possible to cure a dwarf of madness by turning them into a were.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 02:56:29 am »

I think I've seen toady says that any failed mood(no matter the cause) will cause Insanity.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 05:05:23 am »

There is one snag however, aren't werebeasts trap avoid?

That is a problem, now that I think about it. a possible way of fixing it would be to trap it with a tame GCS, that way, when it transforms it gets bitten, is paralyzed, and triggers the preassure plate, and it would recover when the full moon stopped. even if the GCS bit him while he wasn't transformed, he would just be paralyzed until the full moon. (you'd have to make sure the pressure plate was set so that he couldn't trigger it by being paralyzed when not transformed)
Werebeasts don't get [TRAP_AVOID] so they should be able to trigger traps in their beastform if they are not a member of your civ. I'm not certain of the exact details but I have caught many werebeasts in regular cage traps, some of which have been dwarves. I'm not sure if they are treated like berserk dwarves (which can be trapped) if they were originally your own dwarves that got infected.

In a previous fort I recall getting a visit from a dwarven were-beast (don't recall what animal kind)...
Anyway I had a whole array of cage traps set-up to prevent unwanted attention inside the fortress as.
Below in Code I attempt to show the layout of the traps... When it came it went immidiately for my entrance, ran across several traps and I was like !FUN! ???
But suddenly it changed back into dwarven form and despite being friendly according to the 'u' screen it got itself trapped in one of the cage traps and as such moved to the animal storage together with all the goblins I had already caught.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After this I got a message every few minutes that the dwarf became werebeast and vica versa while it was in the cage.

The fortress did not survive very long after that... It appears Titans are not only trap-avoid and building destroyers... So not only evading my traps, but also bashing the door in at the end of the corridor, but they are also strong enough to whipe out your fortress without a good militairy...  ;D

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 06:58:03 am »

The traditional method of giving eternal life to a fortress is sealing in a melancholy vampire - why not use a melancholy werebeast (about whose mood you no longer need to worry) in the clock?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 07:48:45 am »

I think I've seen toady says that any failed mood(no matter the cause) will cause Insanity.

Sure, but if there's a were-beast transformation, will the mood FAIL, or will it simply not exist any more (flag reset)?

And if it DOES go insane, will the were-beast transformation remove the applicable insanity flag?

Also, what does the were-transformation do to a dwarf's mood and/or thoughts under "normal" circumstances?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 09:49:28 am »

Sure, but if there's a were-beast transformation, will the mood FAIL, or will it simply not exist any more (flag reset)?

And if it DOES go insane, will the were-beast transformation remove the applicable insanity flag?

Also, what does the were-transformation do to a dwarf's mood and/or thoughts under "normal" circumstances?
1. It's very hard to get a were-dwarf to mood D:
2. Who knows? When a Dwarf is in animal form they're berserk. I can see two outcomes : They're berserk in were-form and whatever form of insanity they were in Dwarf form, or they are cured of the crazy.
3. I'm not sure about that one. It looks like it resets their happiness to fine though.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 11:12:16 am »

You can resolve the mood problem using a dwarf that has already make an artifact, since they can only be mooded once.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 11:59:44 am »

You can resolve the mood problem using a dwarf that has already make an artifact, since they can only be mooded once.
Or by choosing a military Dwarf who's on duty all day every year.
Pages: 1 [2]