Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Your role in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 3447 times)

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your role in Dwarf Fortress
« on: August 22, 2012, 06:11:10 pm »

So, I've been playing this game on and off for awhile now. Had a few fortresses, lost some good men, forced my wife to read the about page on the wiki in a bid to get her to play...
Anyways, I've still really truly yet to manage a succesful fortress; out of sheer luck I'll occasionally get a steady supply of plump helmets to grow enough to feed and booze my dwarves. But, during my last DF session I got to thinking;
How do you, as the player; See yourself in relation to your fortress?
I constantly see the role we fill as something similar to the overseer role of the Fallout universe, how about you?
Are you an omniprescent god? A king? A very hands off supervisor?

Also, as this is my first post--It's an honor to join your community, and find this game positively fascinating. Nice to meet you.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:12:43 pm by OtaconPliskin »

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Your role in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 06:47:20 pm »

Omnipotent ruler of all things that are, were, and will be. Just like in real life.

Lovely to meet you as well.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 06:49:29 pm »

I rename one of my founders Corai and give them no job, nothing but social skills and assign them to the nobility. If that dwarf dies, I have to abandon.

TL;DR, a king.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:09:31 pm »

You are the hive mind.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:26 pm »

I AM ARMOK GOD OF BLOOD!!!
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 09:33:48 pm »

I've always considered myself to be the collective will of the dwarves at the fortress (the "genius societatis", if you will).  Their desires and needs are made possible by my actions.  If they all die, then I cannot be and my presence fades from the area until new dwarves reclaim the land.

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 09:52:32 pm »

So, In relation to how you see yourself; How do you see your dwarves? Workers? Servants? Employees?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 10:22:03 pm »

So, In relation to how you see yourself; How do you see your dwarves? Workers? Servants? Employees?

Slaves...mostly...and I don't mean that to be funny or anything lol. They honestly strike me as a slave labor force. They do everything I command and I give them what in return? direction in life and I spare them or set them up for disaster as I desire.

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 10:43:25 pm »

Slaves...mostly...and I don't mean that to be funny or anything lol. They honestly strike me as a slave labor force. They do everything I command and I give them what in return? direction in life and I spare them or set them up for disaster as I desire.

I would agree with that only if they didn't bitch so much. :P "Okay, I'll dig this for you--After I attend this party and take a break. Oh? We're out of booze? Well..I'm feeling a little too sad to work right now. Actually, I think I'm going to take over this workbench and get in touch with my artistic side but..if I'm able to complete my project I'll totally get on digging for you"

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 12:39:39 am »

Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind; the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me."
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

jdf318

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 12:55:46 am »

Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind; the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me."

Urist Rush?

kekekekekekekekekekekeke

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 01:23:49 am »

I am the Volonté générale, the will of all those that stop and think without regard for their own peculiar interests.
Like all leaders referring to Rousseau, I am an absolute dictator. But I try to take care of my underlings.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 01:53:32 am »

Loyal followers who exist to vicariously act out my will across the many worlds of the ASCII universe.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 03:55:20 am »

I AM KADOL RAPEMURDERED , THE MIGHTY CHEESE MAKER !
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 04:41:19 am »

I've always seen myself as a deity similar to the Black & White PC, constantly trying to keep the idiot supplicants from killing themselves.

Some of the ... 'requests' are the same between games:
"We need food"  "We need houses"  "We're on fire"  "The wolves ate my child while i sat on my but and watched"
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
Pages: [1] 2 3