Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Your role in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 3448 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Your role in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 05:12:16 am »

I am the kind and caring deity of my fortresses.
Altough I quickly turn darksided whenever a dwarf screws up.
And messing with the raws in my saves to get the upper hand is not beneath me.
You hear me Goblins? I can make your hearts and/or lungs fail at will!
And you elves? Besiege me and I will turn you aquatic!

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 11:31:42 am »

I've always seen myself as a deity similar to the Black & White PC, constantly trying to keep the idiot supplicants from killing themselves.

Some of the ... 'requests' are the same between games:
"We need food"  "We need houses"  "We're on fire"  "The wolves ate my child while i sat on my but and watched"

^ Lol.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 11:39:47 am »

Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind; the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me."

Urist Rush?

kekekekekekekekekekekeke
More like: Dorfdorfdorfdorfdorfdorfdorfdorfdorfdorf
On topic: I see myself as a catsplosionist, researching the catsplosions and catpocalypses, and to do that, always bring 2 males and 2 females.
And my dorfs, i see them as dwarfs. Idiots, digging my traps then deciding to jump down while finishing the falltrap.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 11:58:17 am »

Okay, so in addition to who we think we are, how we see our dwarves...

How do you think your dwarves see YOU?

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 12:03:02 pm »

With regards to the first question:   I see myself as a reader, and DF as a sort of interactive book.  I watch a story unfold and get to act upon it at times.  As I like to write fiction, I see everything happening in scenes and imagine the feelings and interactions of the characters.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 12:27:48 pm »

Okay, so in addition to who we think we are, how we see our dwarves...

How do you think your dwarves see YOU?

They see me as a trap master, and don't dare to disobey me because of my genius traps in the meeting hall and even the bedrooms!
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 03:37:12 pm »

They don't see me.  If I register to them at all, it would most likely be as a zeitgeist arising from all their wants and demands as a whole.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 04:05:42 pm »

I am a intensely lazy overseer, ruling with a *Iron fist* over my army of less lazy then me if retarded dorfs.

To them, I am a cruel tyrant, but one who acknoledges their needs.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 06:07:45 pm »

I see myself as their leadership, for sure. Deity, not so much, but kinda, and rarely do I try to take an avatar in my own games.

I see them as the workforce, and those whose care I'm responsible for. They work towards my goals, and I try to make sure they get there alive and as comfortably as possible. They're really good at killing themselves, though.

And they don't acknowledge me. Every order, and every task they accomplish either comes to them through leaders who themselves believe everything is under their control, or through their own individual understandings of what they can and should do to maintain their lives.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 06:10:57 pm »

i see DF as a game where i control Dwarven civilization ....
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 06:17:33 pm »

I am a lesser deity underneath the Great Toad, granted a number of playthings and a small domain to do with as I see fit, as long as my actions follow a set of poorly defined rules, most of which have been left for me to discover on my own. The first and most important rule is that the dorfs never have any direct communication with me, but must rather have urges and desires planted into their minds to have them act as I see fit. Some such creatures are especially resistant to my manipulations, deciding to go on break and attend parties for months at a time without ever noticing my prompting.

My dorfs see me as their own thoughts, at least until they finish the megaproject and realize that they have spent every waking hour for the past decade building a giant phallus, at which point they drop to their knees and cry, knowing that they are nothing but toys for a higher being. Higher in stature, not intellect of course. We still have no clue how to make a mechanism out of a single rock that activates something thousands of meters away at the speed of light.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 08:40:56 pm »

With regards to the first question:   I see myself as a reader, and DF as a sort of interactive book.  I watch a story unfold and get to act upon it at times.  As I like to write fiction, I see everything happening in scenes and imagine the feelings and interactions of the characters.

This is essentially how I sum up alot of the aspects of DF.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 10:26:10 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 06:20:48 am »

How they see me?

Good question.. A big.. large.. floating.. eye.. thing?

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 10:03:57 am »

How they see me?

Good question.. A big.. large.. floating.. eye.. thing?

The next artifact ring they make you has to be cherished above all things in your fortress until its fall. Then it must be dragged along by an adventurer into the caverns, lost, found again, and then tossed in the volcano at the original fortress. The world shall be named...

New Zealand
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"
Pages: 1 [2] 3