Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Your role in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 3451 times)

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
Re: Your role in Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 06:23:25 pm »

A god, that created the universe for the simple purpose of my entertainment. There is evil, there is good, there is suffering, misery and all for the simple fact that I was bored one day.

Wait a minute....is that why there is evil and suffering in this universe too! Because some super god got bored one day and made our universe!!! Unn, that religion does answer all of the moral question in the world.
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2012, 12:06:41 am »

How do you, as the player; See yourself in relation to your fortress?
I constantly see the role we fill as something similar to the overseer role of the Fallout universe, how about you?
Are you an omniprescent god? A king? A very hands off supervisor?
Nice to meet you Otacon!

For me, I am the narrator of each Dwarves's story. I can change the outcomes at a whim, give meaning where there is none and direct where the threads all intertwine into one tale.

So, In relation to how you see yourself; How do you see your dwarves? Workers? Servants? Employees?

They are all characters, in the literal and metaphorical sense. They are Dwarf tile '1' or Kivish Mountainarmors, that distinction is up to the narrator.

Okay, so in addition to who we think we are, how we see our dwarves...

How do you think your dwarves see YOU?
They don't see me at all. They're all inside their own bubble of Fortress unaware of the stories that unfold around them.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 02:49:11 am »

I am a symbiotic/parasitic conscious thought-form existing within but separate from the dwarven hive-mind. I influence their collective will for my own ends, and by improving their lot I gather greater existence and meaning unto myself. The death of the fortress is also my death. They do not know me.

OR

I am a form of madness, a peculiar insanity that lays hold of creatures in groups at a time, causing them to break the strictures of their society and engage in agonies of activity and creation otherwise unknown in the world. I sow the desperate desire to craft, to delve, to build in ways puzzling and beautiful and dangerous until the madness fades away or brings complete disaster upon my gibbering adherents.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 11:58:39 am »

So, In relation to how you see yourself; How do you see your dwarves? Workers? Servants? Employees?

They are the muscle, sinew, and blood that powers and lubricates the mechanisms of my ever growing rage!

Okay, so in addition to who we think we are, how we see our dwarves...

How do you think your dwarves see YOU?

They see me in the last, grisly moments of their lives as they cry out my name in worship. I am EVERYTHING!!!
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist
Pages: 1 2 [3]