Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Is drinking too much milk a bad thing?  (Read 12570 times)

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
Is drinking too much milk a bad thing?
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:24:30 pm »

I've been having painful diarrhea for the past few days, just when I decided to make a healthy choice and stop drinking 10-15 cans of soda a day. Since I hate water, I thought "Why not just drink only milk?" So, I've decided to only have one soda a day to wake me up in the morning, but have at least 8-9 cups of milk a day to ward off the withdrawal of soda. Problem is, ever since I've done that, my diarrhea has been actually getting worse, now making it where sometimes I'm perfectly fine, then suddenly I get a weird feeling in my intestines, then the next thing I know, I've keeling over, screaming in pain as a sign that I need to poop. This made me have to use the public restrooms at school, where everyone apparently thinks it's a good idea to make as much noise as possible to make me embarrassed, and now I don't want to have to use it again because of how nasty the toilets usually are. What's causing this, and how do I stop it from happening again?  :'(

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: Is drinking too much milk a bad thing?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:26:10 pm »

I would have to say it's probably either:

A: Lactose intolerance.

B: Parasitic infection.

I'm betting A. Granted, I could be wrong.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Nega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:43:12 pm »

Err...this makes me rather embarrassed to say, but I think it might help with figuring it out, but what if the poops I've been having were green? Would that change anything?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 09:21:06 pm »

Lactose intolerance is due to the intestines not having the correct chemistry or culture to properly break down the milk sugars causing the other bacteria in your system to go crazy. I guess that even if your body can tolerate lactose, drinking too much will overpower your system and that extra unbroken down sugar would cause the same agitation that lactose intolerant people experience.

If you don't like drinking water, you could always go for some (low caffeine) tea if the idea of caffeinating yourself with coffee or strong tea all day long isn't all that appealing. On the other hand you could always just go for some cheap drink crystals.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:35:58 pm by Flare »

kinglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • mpmarimba
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 09:34:34 pm »

Milk is pretty hard for most people to digest - I've had similar reactions to drinking more than half a gallon or so of milk.

Water is best, though I don't like it much either. You can get flavor crystals sweetened with Stevia (it goes by a few names) that are pretty neutral nutritionally and are yummy.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 09:36:34 pm »

Err...this makes me rather embarrassed to say, but I think it might help with figuring it out, but what if the poops I've been having were green? Would that change anything?
Well that sounds like your liver did a bile dump. nothing wrong with that as your liver is cleaning itself out. You can tell when the shit stinks worse.

Nega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 09:37:13 pm »

Hmm. Now that I think about it, I guess I'll try to drink some flavored water, see if that helps. Now I'm trying to go by without one soda, so I hope it works out in the end. I'll post again in at least 4-7 days to see if anything changes. My mom said it could just be an infection and that it'll pass, but I'm going by your judgement and trying to drink less milk as well.

mcsafety

• Bay Watcher
  • ;p
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 10:19:46 pm »

ya that's lacctose intolerance alright. I got it....
name: magmammal
type:  Fire/kangaroo
evoles into Magkingbird (and gets wings and beak, with flying type and a crown )
pokedox: Magmammal was just a kangaroo until one day he ate coal, and it was so hot he got hot and he wanders the land burning his footsteps.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 12:48:35 am »

There are two side effects of drinking too much milk

1) You start to feel sick if you drink truely copious amounts of milk (Oddly enough, my "Thirsty" reflex gets turned on if I drink too much milk and become insatiably thirsty)
2) Milk is still a fatty drink. It isn't as bad for you as juice or pop but it is hardly harmless.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 12:53:14 am »

Actually it means that your body didn't absorb any nutrients from what you ate. I'd say it's a lactose intolerance. Take something like lactaid, or drop milk outright. If it stops then you know the problem.

I grew out of a lactose intolerance, which is odd, but I had a similar problem when I still had it.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 01:01:34 am »

You might also get kidney stones from all dat calcium.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 01:08:28 am »

First off, 8-9 cups of milk a day is a lot of milk. At that point it's probably doing you more harm than good, since a lot of people can be sensitive to too much dairy even if they're not lactose-intolerant.

Secondly, you're replacing one extreme for another here. You're dropping the ridiculous amounts of soda (which was a very good idea) and introducing ridiculous amounts of milk. It is understandable why such a drastic change would cause at least momentary digestive problems.

My advice? Get a few glasses of milk or juice or something else nutritive in there, but also try to transition to drinking water for the rest of your hydration. Yes, water. This seems to be a difficult thing for some people to do who are used to drinking very sugary, flavored things, but transitioning to mostly water for your hydration is a very good goal and is something you can probably get used to.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 01:14:38 am »

Wait... that's about 2 litres of milk a day. Damn. Lower it to about 4 cups throughout the day and you'll be fine. Drink cold water and juice if you have cravings.

Drinking too much milk can actually create an intolerance if I remember correctly. It's best not to risk that.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 02:53:43 am »

No one has said it yet?

Milk, good for the bones, good for the kids. Mr. T pity the fool who don't have calcium in his diet.

On a serious note, I used to drink a lot of milk too, though that was when I was young and not old like I am now. Milk is good in smaller doses, but this is coming from someone who drank a gallon a milk in two days. It can cause metabolic problems, trust me on that. Lessen it to about one cup per day. Soda cravings can be withdrawn through gum, and juice substitutes. I would suggest something like orange juice. I found that to be a good substitute so long as it had no pulp.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 05:54:23 am »

that is a lot of milk and a large shock to the system.
remember that milk is like a good beer both a drink and food, it is unlike soda nutritious and healthy.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: [1] 2 3 4