Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Grand stairway

(1/2) > >>

rwallace:
I'd like to build a grand stairway extending over many levels like the one in Nist Akath - frankly, I like the idea of suicidal dwarves being able to plummet to an instant and spectacular death rather than just dying slowly of thirst. Does a single column of Xs (i.e. one up-down stairway tile per level) provide a way to fall an arbitrary distance? If not, what's the recommended way to do it? Do you have to have a 3x3 grid with the center square hollowed out? If so, how do you do that?

Slappy Moose:
That will enable them to climb very high, but there is never a way to tell how they will commit suicide. They may drown themselves or something, and I have never seen one jump to their death.

rwallace:
Well, I understand there are no guarantees of what they'll do, but I'd like to make it physically possible at least.

umiman:
hehehehehe, this reminds me of a story.I had a guard commit suicide awhile ago out of depression for a reason I don't recall (probably because his crazy wife took his only son out to kill goblins with and they both died).Anyway, what he did was that he tried to drown himself inside one of my artificial ponds that ran through my overground city fortress. So he hurled himself in, saying "woe is me! Life is but a nightmare! Death is my only salvation"Too bad he didn't realize that I had drained that pond a few moments ago to perform maintenance on the sewers. I felt pity on the guy, who was now sitting (unmoving) inside knee-deep water hoping to die, so I activated the pumps again.Too bad the pumps were about 8 miles away. Water was SLOOOOOWLY trickling into that pool at about a rate of 1 block every 10 minutes or so. Now the guy was sitting inside knee-deep water, waiting for the water to raise high enough to drown him.I imagined this must have been very humiliating for the poor guy, so I ordered a couple o' dwarves to help the process along and pour water via a bucket brigade on the poor sap. But as I thought about it, now the guy was sitting inside knee-deep water, waiting for the water to raise high enough to drown him, while having buckets of water splashed on his head by his old friends.I was about to seal over the pond so he can die in peace when the winter came and he was sealed in ice.

Derakon:
I don't think dwarves can jump "through" staircases. They need to be able to leap out into empty space. You could simply construct a tall, narrow staircase up into the sky; dwarves could climb it and then leap off. For digging one out, though, I'd recommend digging successive layers of ramps from the top down, as ramps remove the floor on the level above (much as channels remove the floor on the level below).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version