Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Assault Rifles  (Read 7596 times)

roushguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assault Rifles
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2013, 12:35:53 am »

I honestly don't see why the game doesn't support multitargeting, unless it's just a huge code hassle. In the case of the SAW... It just so happens that it fires 5.56x45mm rounds. IE M16 rounds. So why can't we mix and match the clips for it? The drum mags are actually 200 rounds, but the weapon can also accept the M16's 30-round clip, or even a linked ammo belt, like the M60 in Rambo. Those go up to... 1000 rounds, I think? If it's a possibility, I'd suggest changing the way ammo works. Keep the clips though! Just allow us to buy empty clips (or keep some) and hand-load our clips. You could take a 'pistol clip' and slap in .50 rounds, turning it into a Deagle clip, or .45 rounds, or even 9mm rounds. Depending on what you load it with, it changed the empty. Revolvers would get a unique option: Speedloaders to instantly load a full clip, or load the rounds individually. That'd also be the case with shotguns. You could have 'clips' or you could just reload from your pockets (which would be a LOT slower). Only having clips is a /VERY/ Conservative idea! Give us the freedom to Liberally change our clips!

tenmillimaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2013, 01:33:37 am »

The magazine feed mechanism is so crappy that most spec force teams ditch it and refuse to use it.
Think about that.

SAW gunners are apparently trained with the mentality that IF they need to use m4/m16 magazines to stay in the fight, they should expect lots of failures and treat their weapon as a semi-automatic to reduce these failures.

flapjack3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2013, 09:12:43 am »

There should be a torture option where you force conservatives to stroke an AK-47.

"Touch the commie gun! Touch it! Feel the Communism!"
LOL! Can i sig that or whatever it called

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2013, 08:19:48 pm »

I honestly don't see why the game doesn't support multitargeting, unless it's just a huge code hassle.

Just doesn't make that much sense for assault rifles or SMGs really, and that was the only sort of automatic weapon in the game for a long time. There was a discussion back in 2004 or so about whether assault rifles, which at the time only fired one attack rather than three, should be able to make multiple attacks in a round against different targets. I argued that they should fire multiple times per round, but all against the same target. So, some years later, when I ended up working on the code for the game, I made it work the way made sense to me.

With a fully automatic weapon, I can see a Hollywood-style attack that involves emptying the entire magazine (or a significant part of the drum) in a single round while waving the gun at the enemy. It would have a really low accuracy though, and wouldn't catch more than one or two enemies as everyone dives for cover, the burst only letting up when the Liberal's rifle clicks empty. Having less skilled Liberals panic and do that sometimes might make a fun way of differentiating the M16 and AK-47, since modern M16s don't have a fully automatic setting.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]