Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Aquifer Magma Method

(1/3) > >>

Luckymoose:
Can someone show/explain how I can get through an aquifer with magma and be able to stop the magma. Even without stone.

Zironic:
Bring along bauxite ( in stone form) and make mechanisms first of all, then make a bauxite floodgate - bamm a system to control lava. then channel a large ( larger than 3x3 - 5x5 is best) into the aquifer - pore the magma into the area from above - preferably, it can be done from sides. this will cause the area to turn into obisidian. Then carve out up/down stairs on the inside of the obisidian block - leaving a wall separating it from the normal area - OR just dig through the obisidan surrounding the volcaneo.

GRead:
it's actually very easy.
this would be your side view
code:
WWWWWWOMMM
AAAAOMMMMM  
A=aquifer, W=wall, O=obsidian, M=magma.
What you'll want to do is find a ledge like that, where the magma on the lower level reaches further out than the magma on the upper level; then you channel out the obsidian on the aquifer level. now, going one square at a time, channel the magma out from vent. It's important to go slowly; if you go fast you run the danger of exposing water from the aquifer; if this happens you'll have a wonderful time trying to get that block to solidify back into obsidian to progress again.
once you've got a large enough area of aquifer filled with magma, dig out an area away from the magma to expose the aquifer; build a pump to pump this out over the magma, the magma solidifies into obsidian and presto! you have yourself an area to cut through the aquifer.The easiest way to learn is by doing though, it's hard to explain all the possible little pitfalls that can interrupt the process. but that's the basics of it.

Luckymoose:
In my embark screen I do not see bauxite listed under the stones. Infact alot of stone is missing.

apache1990:
It depends on which dwarven civ you choose to start from, they don't all have access to it to embark with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version