Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Underrail - Turn-based, isometric RPG with plently of skills and playable demo.  (Read 23781 times)

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Underrail
Purchase the alpha on Desura!
Purchase the alpha on GamersGate!

Underrail (formerly Timelaspe Vertigo) is a turn based RPG, inspired by games such as Fallout, Arcanum, Neverwinter Nights and System Shock 2, to quote the website. You are apart of a "metro station-state", as the world above has been destroyed in some unnamed disaster. Below ground, warring factions and mutant creatures roam and battle for resources.

Home Page
Screenshots
Gameplay Video
Alpha Demo
Rockpapershotgun Article, From Two Months Ago
Dev Blog
Steam Greenlight Page

Combat is turn based, with each action taking a different amount of action points, which refresh each turn, very similar to games such as Fallout, X-Com, or Jagged Alliance. You can fight with either melee weapons, guns, or psionics.

Strength, dexterity, agility, constitution, perception, will, and intelligence are the main stats of your character. 
The skills.. The skills are much more numerous. There are:
Guns, Grenades, Crossbows, Melee
Dodge, Evasion
Stealth, Hacking, Lockpicking, Pickpocketing
Mechanics, Electronics, Chemistry, Biology, Tailoring
Thought Control, Psychokinesis, Metathermics
Persuasion, Intimidation, Mercantile
These are all separate skills, I have just divided them into their in-game subcategories for space. Suffice to say, there are alot of skills. On top of that..There are even more feats.

It scrolls down, and down..

Work-In-Progress Alpha screenshot

If I were better at describing things, I would tell you about the crafting system and how that works, but I'm not so I'm just going to tell you to download and play the free demo. If you want to know more, I recommend reading the dev blog, or the RPS article.

If you are even remotely a fan of Fallout or RPGs, you should try the demo right now. Right now! Go! I've had more fun with the demo than I have with full priced, finished games. I haven't played the alpha yet, but I hope to soon!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:46:49 am by Dr. Johbson »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

This looks really nice. It seems to be the Metro-2033 roguelike which I really wanted to make/play. Well, it's not a roguelike per se, but travelling metro in isometric view should make you feel like you play a roguelike. And everything I've seen so far looks good.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I've been playing the demo for a while and I have a few thoughts on it-

Firstly, this is a lengthy demo, I'm still not finished it, and I was just given two more quests, so I'd be surprised if it ended soon. It's also quite difficult! Died to random mobs quite a few times, and the first boss was also very tricky. I enjoyed what I played and for the most part felt it was nicely balanced, and there weren't any major problems. However, one thing I didn't like was the movement speed. With all the backtracking to merchants to sell my recent loot and to refill on ammo and health stims, it got very tedious very quickly, not to mention the gate into town "scans" you before you can enter and this takes too long and happens every time you want to come back in.

Second, and slightly more important, after I crafted some armor and sold it, I am now so rich I can buy any gun, all the ammo the store sells, as well as all the health stims the medical vendor carries. The economy definitely needs to be rebalanced before the game is finished. My crafting skill allows me to turn a 200 value item into a 2000 value item with no cost to me. Even if I didn't take the crafting skill I needed to do this, I'd still be quite wealthy, the item I used being quite common.

It's very satisfying to sneak around and hack/lockpick into special loot containers, or to find safe shortcuts thanks to my finding-hidden-things skill, and once I got the hang of how combat worked, it was alot of fun.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

This looks really nice. It seems to be the Metro-2033 roguelike which I really wanted to make/play. Well, it's not a roguelike per se, but travelling metro in isometric view should make you feel like you play a roguelike. And everything I've seen so far looks good.
Pretty much what I thought as well: Metro 2033: The RPG. (Yeah, the game wasn't an RPG, it was a shooter with an inventory system.)

Looks pretty good to me. Might try the demo soon.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

Is there any place on the base to recharge you psi-points, like you can hit points?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage

This looks awesome. I love post-apocalyptic games, movies, books... The whole 9 yards. Looks like Fallout 2 on steroids; hope my system can run it alright. Thanks for the post Johbson!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile

Ditto what Johbson said about move speed. I was trying to find a run button for ages before I realised that you just have to slowly amble about.

Other than that though, it's really cool. Though playing as a pistoleer I've found myself having to play real cheesy to survive. Leaving an area then re-entering and starting combat before the enemy, using all my action points then moving back out the area has cleared many a pack of ratdog things.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm having quite a lot of fun with it--totally reminds me of Fallout 1+2.

Does anybody know where the stupid key for the Warehouse vault Gorsky wants to get into is? I can't find it and it's bothersome. I have no way to open electronic doors, but I HAVE been through both levels of the freaking air ducts...

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile

I started playing this the other day after watching PlumpHelmentPunk's LP.

The only thing that I don't like so far is how over powered "selling" is. After the "GSM" quest, I had enough loot to buy out the entire station. Also, trader inventories don't restock.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks great, posting to watch.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

First thoughts, as soon as I opened this thread: "OH MY GAWD THAT CONCEPT ART!"

Second thoughts, after clicking the 'screenshots' link: "...I think I need to change my pants.'
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm having quite a lot of fun with it--totally reminds me of Fallout 1+2.

Does anybody know where the stupid key for the Warehouse vault Gorsky wants to get into is? I can't find it and it's bothersome. I have no way to open electronic doors, but I HAVE been through both levels of the freaking air ducts...
Have you..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you have,
If you haven't, and don't know what I'm talking about, look for a trapdoor

I started playing this the other day after watching PlumpHelmentPunk's LP.

The only thing that I don't like so far is how over powered "selling" is. After the "GSM" quest, I had enough loot to buy out the entire station. Also, trader inventories don't restock.
Yeah, I was wealthy before the GSM quest, after, its just too much.

Also, advice for if the movement speed is really bothering anyone, you move faster in combat, so if you press enter to enter combat mode manually you can move faster for a bit. It's..something.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you..
If you have,
If you haven't, and don't know what I'm talking about, look for a trapdoor
Hey, thanks Johb! I'm gonna have to check again this evening. I'm surprised I didn't catch it, as I have

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not even sure it's hidden, I don't remember getting the "you have found something hidden" message when I found it, the only way I realized it was there was while I was pressing tab, which highlights all the objects you can interact with. (It also allows you to loot things that are covered by walls.)

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I realized it was there was while I was pressing tab, which highlights all the objects you can interact with. (It also allows you to loot things that are covered by walls.)
Oh my good Christ. I wish I had known before. I'd have SO much more useful stuff to pawn off... *facepalm*
Pages: [1] 2 3 4