Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Rotten Hearts!  (Read 5657 times)

TxJBxT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rotten Hearts!
« on: August 24, 2012, 07:51:37 pm »

Ok so I decided to tackle a sinister mix between a rocky and a sand desert. Every so often a cloud of profane soot drifts in. 1 recently just hit a few dwarves and surprisingly they seem.....fine.(Most clouds I have turn everyone into zombies) Apparently it says their hearts are rotten which I have to wonder will they ever die? Or are they already dead and I now have undead dwarves that are controllable? Whatever the case I haven't seen anything happen to them and, this area for being evil doesn't have any evil creatures as far as I can tell.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: Rotten Hearts!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 07:58:16 pm »

Their hearts aren;t rotten enough. Or it could be a slow, progressive rot. You never know.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:59:31 pm »

Most organs are unimportant, but if their hearts are rotten they are probably going to die if they don't get treatment.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

TxJBxT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 08:08:21 pm »

How would you even treat a rotten heart tho?

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:09:47 pm »

Replace the heart with a steel heart.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 08:36:02 pm »

Well if you manage to cut the upper body open just above the heart and get them to the hospital before they bleed out, the MD (if not being lazy) will cut off the rotten bits and stitch it together again.

And it will work.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:51:00 pm »

Well if you manage to cut the upper body open just above the heart and get them to the hospital before they bleed out, the MD (if not being lazy) will cut off the rotten bits and stitch it together again.

And it will work.

And this is why I love Dwarf Fortress.

It is also why this game is horrifying.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 09:45:08 pm »

You should see how they fix broken eyeballs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 10:25:07 pm »

You should see how they fix broken eyeballs.

Soap and sutures in the eyes! Yay!

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 10:42:22 pm »

And it will work.

Ah yes, dwarven medical science. Reminds me of when someone's dwarf had blood on their lungs and was repeatedly failing to clean it off using a well. One of the suggestions was to cut open their upper body so that the doctors would clean it off.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 11:24:44 pm »

Ah yes, dwarven medical science. Reminds me of when someone's dwarf had blood on their lungs and was repeatedly failing to clean it off using a well. One of the suggestions was to cut open their upper body so that the doctors would clean it off.
Someone just needed to teach him how to cough's all :(

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 11:56:18 pm »

I had a similar evil weather in my last fort. Seemingly no effect but I started noticing that everyone was suffering from advanced heart rot. During the fort's around 7 year lifespan none of the dwarves died because of the rot. If your weather syndrome doesn't cause any other effects then it is pretty much harmless since rotten heart won't kill a dwarf as long as it doesn't fall off. Nothing a couple sutures and splits can't fix.

I have to admit that it added an interesting twist to reading the dwarves info.
Urist McBaron: Blah blah. Upset by having a mandate ignored lately. Enjoyed throwing something recently  Beat somebody recently.
Blah blah. Is strapped with massive amount of muscle and lard etc..
His heart is rotten.

Edit:
I imagine a medical dwarf repeatedly trying to push the poor patients head in a bucket and make him inhale the water.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:58:10 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 12:12:36 am »

That reminds me of a time when a migrant wave appeared in the middle of a hidden ambush. They all got away, except for one guy who took multiple arrows to his gut and chest. He promptly collapsed in a bed in the sleeping quarters, and remained there for a decade before someone bothered to pull the arrows out and clean the injuries. By that time, he was laying in a pool of his own filth and pus so bad his entire body was covered with it, as was most of his internal organs. He survived after the surgeon pulled out his pancreas, which was at this point a blob of goo, and ripped off most of his chest, before replacing it with a sheet of GCS silk.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 12:22:46 am »

Best damn skingraft ever  right there.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 10:35:22 am »

Hearts don't actually do anything but bleed a lot, IIRC.
Pages: [1] 2 3