Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, open for business again  (Read 23805 times)

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
[Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, open for business again
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:32:22 am »

UPDATE 04/08/12: After a hiatus of several months, the fortress is open for business again. We're looking for overseers once more!

Alrighty then, let's get this fort off ground. I've found a nice spot close to the gobbo action. Probably went a bit overboard with the resources, but whatever. We need a lot of those in case an overseer is taken by a fey mood and wants to build himself a glorious mausoleum.
I've also worked out a little bit of background for the fort, just read the spoilers.

Spoiler: Codex of Burial (click to show/hide)

Personal Diary of Tau, Priest of Armok
20th Galena, 200 AF
The great fortress-temple of Torchink

The last days have been... stressful, to say the least. Vabok returned with troubling news from the north, and the King's scouts have reported that the goblin menace is spreading. We've lost a few temples to the greenskins, and there are more and more tales of demoralized dwarves. We have to confront the blight of evil, and bring Armok's laws to the north again.

I met Vabok in the cathedral. He seemed as troubled as I, but told me of the Order's plans to send a caravan northward.

"We need to establish a new Fortress-Temple there, with defensive capabilities. The Order believes that you have the experience necessary to build an outpost and to defend it from evil."

"Is that so? Look, I'm not an expert for warfare. I've managed supply routes during the war of 191. I didn't kill a carpton of greenskins, I just did the bookkeeping."

"It's not just the goblins. The catacombs below this place are crammed full of dead dwarves. I don't think we can keep up with the digging any longer. If the war goes on any longer, we'll run out of space down there."

"Alright. Which area did the Order select for the outpost?"

Vabok unrolled a map. "It's the Bridled Swamp, on the other side of the Short Barb. Rather close to these two goblin fortresses. If we can provide a safe haven and a sturdy defensive post, the gobs will have a hard time doing any kind of raiding to the fortresses of the Short Barb. We might be able to take them out if we're careful."

I thought of the people we would need for an outpost. Some workers, yes, but also someone with artistic talent. And a medical dwarf - I had seen the horrors of the Goblin War and didn't want to go anywhere near a greenskin fortress without a doctor.

"And... there's something else. I don't know how relevant it is, but somewhere northeast of the location is Pebuen. I'm sure you know the legends."

Of course I knew them. Damn tales scared me to the surface and back as a child. The tower of Pebuen was a traditional haunt of necromancers. We've often heard rumours of these servants of evil and their deathless legions.

"It's too far away to be of any importance", Vabok tried to reassure me. "The Bridled Swamp is not known for any demonic aberrations, you're unlikely to have anything to do with Pebuen."

I sure hope so. Looks like we'll have enough dead of our own to fill the catacombs.

This fort is accepting overseers!

Succession List:
   1. Terra_Inc
   2. charred_gp
   3. Spinning Welshman
   4. Pufferfish
   5. dash27
   6. NotaPirate
   7. Tevish Szat
   8. Kalemyr Skyfire
   9. Fear The Amish
   10. CaptainArchmage

Spoiler: Succession List Colors (click to show/hide)

Attention: We are using the latest DF2012 with binary patches. It doesn't change anything with regards to save compatibility, though, so if you feel uncomfortable using it, you can always use the unpatched DF2012.

Every overseer should:
  • End his/her turn after having completed one year.
  • Finish his/her turn within a reasonable time. If you're AWOL for a month or more, your turn may be skipped.
  • Expand the fortress catacombs. No project is too insane, no mausoleum too luxurious. Give it your own unique spin.
  • Adhere to the Codex of Burial. Part of the fun is actually having some dead dwarves to put down there.
  • When making a decision that could heavily affect the future of the fortress, apply dwarven common sense. It's like human common sense, but it menaces with spikes of hilariousness.

Latest save: http://www.mediafire.com/?sku114puagugejq

That's it for now folks, let's strike the earth.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 01:47:56 pm by Terra_Inc »
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Iron Tea!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, looking for (insane) architects
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 12:19:28 pm »

I'm a HORRIBLE architect so I won't be taking any turns but dorf me as that miner. I wonder what horrible death awaits me.

(Thumbs up for the signature btw. Lovecraft is awesome.)
"Everyone wants you to succeed. People are looking for proof that you can be amazing so that they can be amazing, too."

Tengen Toppa Spiraldrill

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 01:44:25 pm »

I'd be willing to try some new stuff. Sign me up and dorf me as the Mason/Mechanic, please.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 04:13:18 pm »

Dorfed and added to the turn list.

Anyone else? I don't bite, you know... ;)
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 05:03:35 pm »

I'll be watching this eagerly but have college to be doing, so can't join.

Which is a shame, because it would be fun to battle my traditional inclination to assemble a simple morgue adjacent to the hospital and pack coffins in double rows. Maybe if there's an open slot over break I'll take it.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 05:07:05 pm »

I realy want a turn but will you accept tileset userers or people who use insain danger gauntlets...
or someone who has to wait a month or two befor able to actually do this thanks to school starting?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 05:24:20 pm »

I realy want a turn but will you accept tileset userers or people who use insain danger gauntlets...
or someone who has to wait a month or two befor able to actually do this thanks to school starting?

I have nothing against tileset users, not at all. I think all you have to do is replace the modified raws with stock raws when you're done, so the standard ASCII works correctly. LNP can do that for you as well.

~HPL~

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 09:01:00 pm »

Ooh, Can I be dorf'd as the doctor?
I need to put something interesting here.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 06:49:39 am »

Ooh, Can I be dorf'd as the doctor?

Sure. Any special name? :)

I don't think that would work out. You never know how long people are going to take for their turns. That said, I can add you to the list later if more people want a turn, but can't guarantee a definite time window.

I'm a HORRIBLE architect so I won't be taking any turns [...]
I think I should add that you don't have to be an epic builder of megaprojects to take a turn. Of course it would spice things up a bit, but there are no high expectations or anything. ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:57:59 am by Terra_Inc »

~HPL~

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Fortress] Hauntedhalls, looking for overseers
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 01:03:49 pm »

Hm. Since there aren't a lot of interested overseers right now, I'm going to kick this place off tomorrow. Let the awesome persuade them! :D

~HPL~

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 06:51:05 pm »

Hmm, A new succession fortress, you say? I've never played one before, but I'll give it a go.  :)

Any chance of me being dorfed, too? Which dwarf doesn't really matter. (Edit: male dwarf if possible)

Let the holy filling of tombs begin!  :D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:55:08 pm by Spinning Welshman »
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 08:50:45 am »

Hmm, A new succession fortress, you say? I've never played one before, but I'll give it a go.  :)

Any chance of me being dorfed, too? Which dwarf doesn't really matter. (Edit: male dwarf if possible)

Alright, let's get this started. I'll give you the Woodworker, if that's okay. :)

~HPL~

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 08:57:42 am »

Alright, let's get this started. I'll give you the Woodworker, if that's okay. :)

That's A-ok with me.  :) I'm looking forward to seeing how the first year goes. Seeing as I'm year 3 I might end up with a considerable amount of !!Fun!! to deal with.  :P

Edit: Terra, could you upload pics of the dorfed dwarves personality pages?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:09:29 am by Spinning Welshman »
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 10:06:23 am »

NP, I'll include them in my first actual game post. :)

~HPL~

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 10:18:03 am »

NP, I'll include them in my first actual game post. :)

Cheers.  :) I just mentioned it because alot of people like to see what their dwarf is like, adds flavour to their lives/deaths.  :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14