Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Option to start as a mutant?  (Read 1095 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Option to start as a mutant?
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:52:29 pm »

I think it would be neat if while playing "conservative nightmare mode" one of the early childhood options could make your character start as a mutant.  Possibly:

I knew things reached a crescendo when...
"I went to play in the creek by the old factory and came back with extra toes..."
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
Re: Option to start as a mutant?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:07:35 am »

I think it would be neat if while playing "conservative nightmare mode" one of the early childhood options could make your character start as a mutant.  Possibly:

"I went to play in the creek by the old factory and came back with extra toes..."
Yeah, and it could make you start with a small bonus with all stats since most mutants start with AMAZING stats.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:05:23 am »

Yeah, and it could make you start with a small bonus with all stats since most mutants start with AMAZING stats.

But lower charisma, of course.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:15:53 am »

Why that? Ive met some smooth talking mutants in my time.
Besides, Mutants almost always have one incrediably high stat, including Charisma.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 07:18:22 pm »

Why that? Ive met some smooth talking mutants in my time.
Besides, Mutants almost always have one incrediably high stat, including Charisma.
Yeah, I've encountered some extremely high-CH Mutants, and they only get higher as they Juice.  We're talking 30 or so at Elite; I understand theoretical max is around 45 but that involves dump stats or something.  Had a She-Hulk once, too (high ST/IN, good CH Mutant, presented as Female, had some Law skill and trained up well enough to out-lawyer the Founder).

On the topic generally, I view the Mutant class as the Extreme Stats, But Few/Low Skills group.  The Founder is a high-potential character (IIRC, Fox has stated that Founders get more development points in the starting questions than an average NPC does) so making xyr a Mutant ought to follow the same lines; lots of stats, but less skill development.

Rationalizing it out, being a Mutant probably deprives the Founder of some opportunities later in life, thanks to anti-mutant stigma, etc, so losing the points from that later in life.  I'd argue that the option should give a fixed amount of bonus points and (perhaps) randomly distribute them); if the option can give a point penalty, I'm thinking it seriously encourages re-rolling.  So far as I can tell, nothing in Founder-creation is forcibly random*, and truth be told I prefer it that way.

*Yeah, the name tables, etc are randomized but hitting the reroll button for a given value isn't considered "scumming" or drek like that.