Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Do Police Raids kill you?  (Read 18653 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: Do Police Raids kill you?
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2012, 08:19:49 pm »

Voter Apathy is the true enemy, not Conservatism.
Voting Crime Squad?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2012, 09:19:45 pm »

You can usually counter voter apathy by making voting mandatory on penalty of fine. Even a small fine. People will go out of their way to not lose money. In fact, it's an even better idea since it will provoke the poor to vote more than anyone else.

I speculate that the whole reason the US doesn't do this is because of the rampant uncertainty. 

Think about it: Who makes the laws? The people already elected under the old system. 
Who favors the old system? The people already elected under the old system.

Nobody already elected will risk their jobs by implementing a new voting system.  Plus, those forced to vote might very well take their vengence at being dragged out of their homes to the polls out upon those responsible, further discouraging the current representatives from such action.

Besides, in the US, more people don't vote than do vote.  Therefore, the majority has already spoken against mandatory voting.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly not a bad idea, but I doubt it will occur in the US.

Even thought this is a major derail, I find it a particularly interesting one.

Back on topic, do liberals in hospital or otherwise inactive lose heat?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2012, 12:33:06 am »

Back on topic, do liberals in hospital or otherwise inactive lose heat?

Hadn't thought about this before, but since I made heat deduction take place at the moment that liberals increase the heat of their current location, inactive liberals do not lose heat.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2012, 03:44:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure more people vote than not, but I may have gotten it from outdated statistics.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2012, 03:45:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure more people vote than not, but I may have gotten it from outdated statistics.

Most people in the U.S no longer vote.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 05, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »

Most people in the U.S no longer vote.
Huh. 
I know many don't like either of the current candidates, but honestly, I find it hard to believe that.  Do you have any sources you can provide?  I would really like to know more.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2012, 10:25:42 pm »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2012, 11:19:02 pm »

In 2004 and 2008, voter turnout reach historical records. Over 60% of eligible Americans voted. Turnout is usually much lower for other elections.
Is that supporting Wrex's statement?  Except for 1924, I'm not seeing a majority of Americans not voting.

An adjusted statement might say that the majority of eligible Americans do not vote if a Presidential candidate isn't on the ballot.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2012, 12:33:25 am »

Ok, I was wrong.  A simple majority does vote in all presidential elections (since 1928, at least).

But, since I don't live in a "Swing State", I probably won't bother to vote.  Because in my home state, the electorial votes for the president have already been decided.

EDIT: On the other hand, there is a Congressional seat that is heavily contested, so that might be fun.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2012, 10:43:48 am »

i dont live the u.s. but this does seam like a crazy system ,The Trouble with the Electoral College
but we have are own system with its flawsThe Problems with First Past the Post Voting
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:00:03 am by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2012, 03:03:52 pm »

Yeah, it kind of is a screwed up system, and Jack, I see what you mean, and yeah, a lot of people don't vote because they don't think it's important or it's been decided.  I just wasn't sure what Sheb had meant.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2012, 09:08:27 pm »

Honestly, my biggest problem with the Electorial College isn't the fact that votes are not proportional to population, but rather that the states are mostly (Nebraska excluded) winner-take-all. 

If a presidential candidate were instead only rewarded their percentage of the vote in the state, it would still protect the small states yet actually make the individual votes matter.  For example, under my proposed system, if in hypothetical State X with 9 electorial votes, Candidate A wins 2/3 of the votes and Candidate B wins 1/3 of the votes, then Candidate A would get 6 electorial votes and Candidate B would get 3 electorial votes, and it would acknowledge that not everybody in State X supported Candidate A, which is what I (and I imagine many voters) really care about: Acknowledgement of individual choice.

Before I continue bashing the Electorial College, I should probably explain the REAL reason for the Electorial College: It's SUPPOSE to hinder the popular vote.

See, the founding fathers of the United States, a few dozen of the richest and most powerful people in the Colonies at the time, were afraid of the general population being swayed into giving up their rights to another tyrant through a straight election.  So, they set up the Electorial College so that even if a charismatic sychopath won the popular vote, somebody could step up and stop them.  So, the Electorial College theoretically should stop Hitler from becoming President in the US.  Anybody short of that...not so much.

And despite the totally reprehensable things that some Presidents have done (believe me, I know the sins of my country's forefathers), nobody crossed that line (and those who came close gave no such indications prior to election).

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2012, 10:58:37 pm »

I'm Conservative and I support legalizing all sorts of machine guns and flamethrowers.  I'm certain I can find quite a few Conservatives that think the same.
Yes, I realize I'm interupting a conversation that has moved far from the topic, but I must protest. Flamethrowers are legal for private ownership by federal law.
In the United States, private ownership of a flamethrower is not restricted by federal law, but is restricted in some states, such as California, by state laws (cf. California Health and Welfare Codes 12750–12761, Flamethrowing Devices).[31]

On Topic: Yes, the electoral cllege does end up having unintended consequences, my liberal state emans I have literally no presidential election power, while people in certain counties in florida have huge amounts, since, of course, a slight majority wins.

Eventually, You can have it so that the slightest of all possible majorities, or even minortities, can win elections. Observe: A county has mostly liberals and a few conservatives. This gives a fewer number of liberals more power over their county, while the conservatives have no power at all. Conversely, a county where there are no liberals at all is also weak, becuase all the conservatives there can't and won't participate beyond ensuring a conservative win.

Basically, you can dilute the number of the opposing faction among counties you'll win, and stuff them in counties you were going to lose anyway, and manage to win.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2012, 07:54:05 am »

I'm Conservative and I support legalizing all sorts of machine guns and flamethrowers.  I'm certain I can find quite a few Conservatives that think the same.
Yes, I realize I'm interupting a conversation that has moved far from the topic, but I must protest. Flamethrowers are legal for private ownership by federal law.
In the United States, private ownership of a flamethrower is not restricted by federal law, but is restricted in some states, such as California, by state laws (cf. California Health and Welfare Codes 12750–12761, Flamethrowing Devices).[31]

And I thank you dearly for that interrupt.  Knowing that somehow, somewhere in the US, I too can own a flamethrower has made my day.

I've also seen (on the internet) some guy who charges people $50 to fire a modern Gattling Gun in the southern USA, so machine guns are somehow, somewhere, also legal.  What a country!   :D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9