Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Best Kind of Bolts  (Read 14495 times)

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
Best Kind of Bolts
« on: August 26, 2012, 04:32:49 pm »

What are the best kind of bolts, I know its not Admantine, or is it.
If you can tear right through something, or do you want to crush in there ribs with silver ones.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Re: Best Kind of Bolts
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 04:44:10 pm »

What are the best kind of bolts, I know its not Admantine, or is it.
If you can tear right through something, or do you want to crush in there ribs with silver ones.

Bone bolts
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 04:48:52 pm »

Steel bolts are a favorite of mine. Give a couple dozen to elite marksdwarves and reap the rewards.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 04:50:54 pm »

Silver ammunition barely edges out candy ammo, but any ammunition will pierce almost any armour. Even wooden bolts will evicerate full adamantine plate, with chain mail underlayer.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 04:52:02 pm »

Difficult to say. Silver is heavy, and as the result of a !!SCIENTIFIC!! investigation, approximately equal to candy in terms of bolts. Since silver is alot cheaper, silver is the best. Most bodily damage compared to anything else.

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 04:53:22 pm »

Silver ammunition barely edges out candy ammo, but any ammunition will pierce almost any armour. Even wooden bolts will evicerate full adamantine plate, with chain mail underlayer.
...Unless faced with a tough Dwarf with armour user skill. And it wouldn't pierce the plate or the layers of the mail, just the greaves. :|

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 04:59:45 pm »

...Unless faced with a tough Dwarf with armour user skill. And it wouldn't pierce the plate or the layers of the mail, just the greaves. :|

Armour user only improves your speed while wearing armour, and you can go test it yourself: A twig can punch through the metal of the gods about half the time.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 06:33:59 pm »

Armour user only improves your speed while wearing armour, and you can go test it yourself: A twig can punch through the metal of the gods about half the time.
+Shield

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 06:37:00 pm »

+Shield

Well, shields stop everything, up to and including the railguns we call "Crossbows".

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 06:51:51 pm »

In my current fort, I only make silver, however, I have a large variety of other bolts, which I don't bother to regulate. I like silver due to the quick training of weaponsmiths, and the high price for masterwork bolts

Do masterwork bolts change damage of anything?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 07:35:49 pm »

ALL weapons are changed by the quality of the work, so try and equip your marksdwarves with some good masterwork ones. The material of the crossbow doesn't matter at all (pretty sure even a "leather crossbow" made from a strange mood is better than a steel masterwork one. Unless you bash people on the head with it.

link to quality: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Item_quality
shows a 2x bonus for masterwork, 3x if you get lucky with a unique (unlikely!)

For bolts, the material does matter more, steel is going to hurt more than masterwork copper bolts (guessing, not entirely sure to be honest). Not even sure if masterwork will help with damage/accuracy for the bolts.

So feel free to ignore me, this is basically what i've gathered through reading the wiki and a few tests.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 08:49:04 pm »

This is a hard question to answer because projectile weapons are so overpowered in the current release. Basically anything will reliablly penetrate steel, and I defy anyone to show a statistically significant difference on flesh with metal bolts.

I have my game adjusted so that bows and crossbows don't launch hypersonic projectiles and arrows and bolts seem to have settled into about to ranking for all other edged weapons. The extra weight of silver (or lead in the Arena) doesn't overcome the fact that they're dull and soft by definition; they bounce off more armor than iron or steel ones do.

Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 09:19:54 pm »

This is a hard question to answer because projectile weapons are so overpowered in the current release. Basically anything will reliablly penetrate steel, and I defy anyone to show a statistically significant difference on flesh with metal bolts.

I have my game adjusted so that bows and crossbows don't launch hypersonic projectiles and arrows and bolts seem to have settled into about to ranking for all other edged weapons. The extra weight of silver (or lead in the Arena) doesn't overcome the fact that they're dull and soft by definition; they bounce off more armor than iron or steel ones do.

Only when they shots aren't going a significant fraction of the speed of light. :P

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 09:47:32 pm »

Even using nerfed crossbows, I was still severing unarmored goblin limbs/heads with copper bolts. I would imagine weightier bolts work better against flesh, sharper ones better against armor. I pulled this conclusion more out of real life physics than DF physics though so don't listen to me.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 10:35:03 pm »

It's worth pointing out this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=89997.0
to the "heavy is better" crowd.

Instead of imagining things, you can test them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5