Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Your dwarven ethics  (Read 15837 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Your dwarven ethics
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 08:13:26 pm »

Yeah, dwarf fortress has been the cause of many a strange, strange story over the years. There's one in particular that we don't mention anymore because it was seriously disgusting and perverted, and that's coming from the entire DF community. You know it's fucked up if even we hurl at the thought of it.

Come now, one doesn't post something like that and expect to get away with not providing a link.
Yeah, no. It's sorta off limits. The only way to find it is if you already know the name of it, and no one will tell you. Catch-22.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 08:18:10 pm »

Ah, well then. Forget I asked.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 09:28:46 pm »

I'm a little more lax about magma breaching than I have been in the past, but I make an effort to corner the expedition leader whenever an unhappy dwarf is demanding a meeting. The rooms in my recent forts are larger than the ones in the first forts I did... well, once they're set up anyway, it takes a year or two for me to ditch the dorms. 2D saw the dwarves crammed into complex 2x1 fractals, my first 3D fortress had a bunch of 3x1 pods, and the general design I use now is decentralised and has mostly 2x3 rooms with an occasional 3x3 one for use by workshops, nobles, or whoever happens to claim that one.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 05:42:48 am »

You know, I really fear for the future sometimes. Dwarf Fortress has bred this culture, and has amassed this conglomerate of individuals with this certain set of morals, or, more appropriately to say, this certain lack of moral character; and Dwarf Fortress has put us all here, in this one place where we can mingle and bond. It's scary. We're all sociopaths. We're all sociopaths who partake in some sort of devilish death worship and that's not even the worst part, since sociopaths are everywhere. The worst part is that we're all sociopaths and we're here in one place and we enable each other, enable ourselves and our peers, and that turns us into even bigger sociopaths. Does anybody remember a time when you treated your dwarves as if they were more than just pieces of meat? Think back to your very first fort. Now think about your current fort. It's a subtle yet profound change of style - back then you cared about each and every dwarf, giving them big rooms and everything they needed and you made sure they didn't die at all costs. Now death is an inevitability. Dwarf Fortress does not have players. It has sociopaths. And I fear for the future. I fear for the future because someday, we're going to be the ones at the helm. Just think if the next world leaders run their countries like how they play their forts. It's a scary thought. Truly maddening.

As for OP, all dwarves get kitten mittens. That's mittens made out of kittens, by the way.

I must strongly disagree here. I am a sociopath in RL, but I care for my dwarves, for their children and their pets. I really try to satisfy them with things they prefer and even assign them jobs in which they will presumably prosper. I try to sell all items under the masterwork quality and eventually have a fort with only masterwork items and furniture. I give my dwarves armor and a steady supply of clothing. I give them varied foods and drinks. I even plan to cultivate some grassland to give them aboveground crops. I never kill or rob merchants. I try to preserve dragon(and other semi-megabeast) population by capturing them. If I could trade with underground civizations - I would. I try not to conscript females into the militia at all or reliave them from military service once they get married. I also tend to limit hunting in order to preserve wildlife.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 06:39:08 am »

Pffffft. Dwaven Ethics are a myth.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 06:41:06 am »

Women without skills are not permitted to carry children into combat.

Therefore, males are constricted into the military, and the useless female dwarves become a hauling class.

I started getting guilty when I realized how many female haulers I had.

Then I came to embrace it.  Women are born to haul!!!!!

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 06:55:11 am »

vampires are gods for me , they pull levers and whenever a dwarf does something dumb , i just throw him in the vampire's dining room (legendary bedroom (if you know what i mean))
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 07:09:00 am »

Yeah, dwarf fortress has been the cause of many a strange, strange story over the years. There's one in particular that we don't mention anymore because it was seriously disgusting and perverted, and that's coming from the entire DF community. You know it's fucked up if even we hurl at the thought of it.

Come now, one doesn't post something like that and expect to get away with not providing a link.
Yeah, no. It's sorta off limits. The only way to find it is if you already know the name of it, and no one will tell you. Catch-22.
It is mentioned sometimes, and a copy is availible on DFFD. You could try to PM someone :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 08:58:28 am »

Does anybody remember a time when you treated your dwarves as if they were more than just pieces of meat? Think back to your very first fort. Now think about your current fort.
My first fort had barely even a shred of comprehension of my Dwarves - I was overwhelmed by DF and didn't know what to do. And I can safely say now my Dwarves have grown to fulfill the complete opposite of what you described.
Everyone gets expensive Grand Bedrooms, Dwarves have access to meat, plants, LOTS of types of booze, clothes and even a working hospital. Even in military engagements it seems my Dwarves refuse to die. A lot of the time most barely even get grazed or bruised!
I mean it's gotten to the point where I've had to start making FTW devices inside my fort just to ensure it doesn't last forever.
Though maybe it still will even through all that. I mean, just a Dwarf month ago 4 Dwarves got caught in a cave in.
Not a single one was injured.
I keep feeling this success is just the precursor of some great cataclysm - but it never happens.
I'm onto 364 dead creatures, and only 8 of those are Dwarves.
My Dwarves just keep calm and pull the levers.
Is this what happens when Dwarves live above ground?!!
IS THIS NOT SANITY?!!

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 09:05:11 am »

i could close my gate too , while im under siege and have no dead dwarves . yes , that is enough to make safe fort .

i usually take risk and leave all gates open at all times and send my 30 dwarf militia to take care of all threats , it is fun and you can watch awsome battles .

i always embark at least at savage regions or evil to increase the fun .

Edit: my dead/missing list has 5000 individuals .

in the first 7 years ! :O
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 09:07:29 am by brainfreez »
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 12:51:42 pm »

i could close my gate too , while im under siege and have no dead dwarves . yes , that is enough to make safe fort .

i usually take risk and leave all gates open at all times and send my 30 dwarf militia to take care of all threats , it is fun and you can watch awsome battles .

i always embark at least at savage regions or evil to increase the fun .

Edit: my dead/missing list has 5000 individuals .

in the first 7 years ! :O

Last night, a forgotten beast appeared several levels down in the caverns that I thought (wrongly) were inaccessible. I have about 170 dwarves. I was JUST getting prepped to start a military. I sent wave after wave of civilian dwarf into battle, an artifact was created during the battle (A golden cage with a dwarf and the megabeast on it). During the battle, I ordered that the artifact get built in the worship chambers I had built (Pretty much all the way across the map, more or less). It was dragged, dropped, picked back up, dragged, etc. While babies and bodyparts flew, the "Keepers of the artifact" (What I had nicknamed any dwarf who picked it up and started moving it) accomplished their mission. Haha.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 01:06:33 pm »

I could close my gate too, while im under siege and have no dead dwarves. Yes, that is enough to make safe fort. But...
As clichéd as it sounds, "Y'ALL DON'T KNOW ME! Y'ALL DON'T KNOW ME! WHATEVA I DO WHAT I WAWNT!"

Nah, just kidding. But you mustn't understand how I play DF if you think I hide behind walls whilst the goblins are picked apart by ravens outside (as entertaining as that sounds). If I let that happen, I'd just end up with a hoard of zombie goblins outside my walls anyways. I wonder which is worse.
Besides the only time I close my gates is to stop things from getting out.
There is always an entrance to my fort ready to be stormed, free of traps. It is not a gate that keeps the Dwarves safe - it's the Dwarves themselves. All 101 of them in the military, 31 squads with 50 soldiers on duty at any given time of the year.
That's what makes a safe fort - and it's only safe for as long as the Dwarves don't die. And guess what they don't do well? Die.
So you see.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 03:06:14 pm »

i only have traps at the artifact room and trading depot (to catch elves) , whenever there is a threat , i send my legendary squads , if there is a beast that is farting poisonous crap , i will send my citizens / children (using burrows and alerts) / babies (with mothers) to kill the monster before it infects any legendary dwarf .

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 03:46:41 pm »

I only have traps at the artifact room and trading depot (to catch elves). Whenever there is a threat, I send my legendary squads, if there is a beast that is farting poisonous crap, I will send my citizens / children (using burrows and alerts) / babies (with mothers) to kill the monster before it infects any legendary dwarf.
And then again that's where we differ. I have traps in the civilian area choke points to catch necromancers, and whenever there's a threat I send the Dwarves who are most likely to survive. Most of the time that just means sending all of them at the same time, or sending some of my most valuable Dwarves. I've also undertaken one of the hardest possible challenges in Dwarf Fortress - raise a child from birth to death by old age.

Hard dorfy times ahead for Urist McTilat ;_;

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 03:50:29 pm »

Dwarf Fortress has taught me one important thing:

Gender is utterly meaningless, and anyone can do anything.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4