Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Your dwarven ethics  (Read 15838 times)

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
Re: Your dwarven ethics
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2012, 03:29:40 pm »

dwarves in worldgen survive only because the worldgen doesn't dig for adamantine , it doesn't need wells , all the metals are given to them , they don't do megaprojects and they don't do any fun .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2012, 03:37:08 pm »

What kind of strange things do you end up doing to YOUR dwarves, what kind of moral guidelines do you try to live by in your games?
"Moar-rul, Gie-dlyns?

Never heard of them.

Sigged.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2012, 04:25:38 pm »

Yeah, dwarf fortress has been the cause of many a strange, strange story over the years. There's one in particular that we don't mention anymore because it was seriously disgusting and perverted, and that's coming from the entire DF community. You know it's fucked up if even we hurl at the thought of it.
O gawd not that -_-

I think hes refering to the to additional socket one.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:27:12 pm by mnjiman »
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2012, 05:12:43 pm »

No real moral guidelines for me, but I generally try to keep everyone alive and happy. They're just very good at doing the opposite.

I butcher any animals, (but don't like making kitten mittens because I love kittens) I've written my own mod that installs gender-appropriate genitalia on each and every creature in the game (for which it would make sense biologically) just because it's hilarious when your fisherdwarves get bit on the ass by a carp. I use prisoners and elven merchants for target practice, and mercilessly overwork the labor force, and then forget everything I was doing, causing me to issue MOAR ORDERS!

I DO try to make sure married women stay out of the militia and generally out of trouble, but sometimes the kids die horribly in ways I had not foreseen (like a little girl being shot through the gut by her own mother, who was operating the ballista batteries. Oh what a gory demise...), or had predicted but couldn't afford to prevent by any practical means. Then again, they and their parents usually die ecstatic for one reason or another, so at least I gave them a decent life.

Honestly, if Toady would implement a simple, reliable method of daycare for the little buggers, we'd probably not have to admit that 60% of all casualties are children. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2012, 09:35:09 pm »

Yeah, dwarf fortress has been the cause of many a strange, strange story over the years. There's one in particular that we don't mention anymore because it was seriously disgusting and perverted, and that's coming from the entire DF community. You know it's fucked up if even we hurl at the thought of it.
Are you talking about the story with the hammer and the gouging?
With the children, the modding and the gouging, yeah.

Was that the adventurer story where the guy slowly beat a family of giants to death with a mace over the course of a week? That wasn't terrible at all.

On topic: Ethics are silly. Generally, I try to treat my dwarves well, but if they act stupid it's their fault.  Epic individuals who achieve great accomplishments are rewarded accordingly,akin to the "Valhalla for a warriors death" Viking belief. "Epic" is open to my interpretation at the time, depending on my wims.

Ultimately, it's all pixels and code.  ;D
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2012, 10:58:11 pm »

My miner put a pick through my legendary brewers head, a nobles hand, and walked around punching people and destroying many buildings/tables/chairs before he calmed down. But...he was the miner, and without him the fortress wouldn't exist in the first place. So for his heinous crimes I sentenced him to eventual death.

I built a small hut with a bed, table, chair, kitten, and 200 units of food and booze. After I moved him there, I locked the door preventing him from ever leaving. He'll die eventually.

Morality is replaced by booze. Whatever you do, don't take it away.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2012, 11:29:28 pm »

I butcher any animals, (but don't like making kitten mittens because I love kittens)

This is pretty much how animals are for me as well, I almost always get a male and female horse drawing the wagon, and end up with a dozen useless horses after I've forgotten I'd had them for a while, and then butcher them all in one go, but it still brings a smile to my face every single time it says a stray cat has given birth to kittens.

I've never killed a cat in DF, or even traded one away, but many fortresses have been abandoned over them slowing the very fabric of time.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2012, 04:46:39 am »

I personally designate small rooms only because the nobles won't tolerate large ones for the plebs. Generally the citizens of my fortresses can expect to live in relative peace and civility, guarded by an elite military, unless I set armies of giant spiders on them out of boredom. Still, I admit that the tales of sociopathy on these very forums keep me coming back for more  ;)

The mermaid farming fortress is still one of my favorite reads. I'm glad I got a post into that thread before it was locked.

The goblin fortress thread is so old I think most people have forgotten it exists. Pretty tame too compared to other horrors still fresh in the forum's collective memory.

And then there was that one adventurer dwarf who was famous for torturing an entire tribe of giants to death by injuring them each exactly once each day until they inevitably expired. Obok Meat-something or the other, I think?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2012, 04:55:54 pm »

Yup, that one. You might want to edit ou the name :P

The mermaid thing was - all in all - not soo horrible, because it was just an economic enterprise. What really gets you into uncanny valley is killing and torturing people without having or even wanting a justification.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]