Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Your dwarven ethics  (Read 15571 times)

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your dwarven ethics
« on: August 27, 2012, 12:41:06 am »

Uh..Kinda messed up question but; I had my dwarves build a giant L and a giant J, the first letters of me and my wives first names. A dwarf holding a baby got trapped in the construction and, I don't see the need to save them. The mother already died and decayed, how long does it take for a dwarven baby to starve to death? The way I saw it, my fortress had foreseen so much chaos and so much effort was put towards the construction of the letters, and the small little shrine I made underneath them; that a sacrifice was only fitting to the completion of such a project.

What kind of strange things do you end up doing to YOUR dwarves, what kind of moral guidelines do you try to live by in your games?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:01:50 am by OtaconPliskin »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Your dwarven ethics
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 02:11:44 am »

What kind of strange things do you end up doing to YOUR dwarves, what kind of moral guidelines do you try to live by in your games?
"Moar-rul, Gie-dlyns?

Never heard of them.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:58:11 am »

I don't even know how you could define strangeness in DF. As for guidelines, enough shinies justifies everything, even being put into a box to grind out things forever :D

That and having enough grave space or slabs. Gotta remember everyone that dies, even if only to prop them up in dining room to laugh at.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 08:04:02 am »

Yeah, dwarf fortress has been the cause of many a strange, strange story over the years. There's one in particular that we don't mention anymore because it was seriously disgusting and perverted, and that's coming from the entire DF community. You know it's fucked up if even we hurl at the thought of it.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 08:07:49 am »

at my fort if you have a babie you have to be in the dangeroom for a week... if your babie survives you keep it if not it builds charecter.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:05:24 am »

at my fort if you have a babie you have to be in the dangeroom for a week... if your babie survives you keep it if not it builds charecter.

This. You looking for morals, TS? Go read the dwarven childcare thread. That'll show you how kind and well-adjusted we are as a community.  :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 09:25:43 am »

Yeah, dwarf fortress has been the cause of many a strange, strange story over the years. There's one in particular that we don't mention anymore because it was seriously disgusting and perverted, and that's coming from the entire DF community. You know it's fucked up if even we hurl at the thought of it.

Was that the Goblin Fortress?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 10:41:00 am »

You know, I really fear for the future sometimes. Dwarf Fortress has bred this culture, and has amassed this conglomerate of individuals with this certain set of morals, or, more appropriately to say, this certain lack of moral character; and Dwarf Fortress has put us all here, in this one place where we can mingle and bond. It's scary. We're all sociopaths. We're all sociopaths who partake in some sort of devilish death worship and that's not even the worst part, since sociopaths are everywhere. The worst part is that we're all sociopaths and we're here in one place and we enable each other, enable ourselves and our peers, and that turns us into even bigger sociopaths. Does anybody remember a time when you treated your dwarves as if they were more than just pieces of meat? Think back to your very first fort. Now think about your current fort. It's a subtle yet profound change of style - back then you cared about each and every dwarf, giving them big rooms and everything they needed and you made sure they didn't die at all costs. Now death is an inevitability. Dwarf Fortress does not have players. It has sociopaths. And I fear for the future. I fear for the future because someday, we're going to be the ones at the helm. Just think if the next world leaders run their countries like how they play their forts. It's a scary thought. Truly maddening.

As for OP, all dwarves get kitten mittens. That's mittens made out of kittens, by the way.

OtaconPliskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 12:11:03 pm »

You know, I really fear for the future sometimes. Dwarf Fortress has bred this culture, and has amassed this conglomerate of individuals with this certain set of morals, or, more appropriately to say, this certain lack of moral character; and Dwarf Fortress has put us all here, in this one place where we can mingle and bond. It's scary. We're all sociopaths. We're all sociopaths who partake in some sort of devilish death worship and that's not even the worst part, since sociopaths are everywhere. The worst part is that we're all sociopaths and we're here in one place and we enable each other, enable ourselves and our peers, and that turns us into even bigger sociopaths. Does anybody remember a time when you treated your dwarves as if they were more than just pieces of meat? Think back to your very first fort. Now think about your current fort. It's a subtle yet profound change of style - back then you cared about each and every dwarf, giving them big rooms and everything they needed and you made sure they didn't die at all costs. Now death is an inevitability. Dwarf Fortress does not have players. It has sociopaths. And I fear for the future. I fear for the future because someday, we're going to be the ones at the helm. Just think if the next world leaders run their countries like how they play their forts. It's a scary thought. Truly maddening.

As for OP, all dwarves get kitten mittens. That's mittens made out of kittens, by the way.

:'( I'm finally home! hahah

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 12:33:50 pm »

Truly maddening.
Now now, it's not possible to be maddened if one already is mad, is it? :P

As for ethics... Well, i mostly try to keep my dorfs alive and inside (because stuck dorfs are even more useless than dead dorfs), but i'm not above sacrificing a useless peasant over a legendary miner if necessary. And if i get tired of vampires surviving the incessant hammerings (one died horribly from 100 hammerstrikes... months later, having crawled from the jail to his bed as a paraplegic with an impending infection caused by a doctor armed with stagnant water), i dunk them in magma, because for all i know their next victim(s) might be legendary. Killing a legendary warrants instant death, unless the one who killed the legendary is also a legendary (or just very important).
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 12:42:18 pm »

actualy I do get attached to dwarfs but 70% of dwarf fatalites are done by the AI stupidity 10% is human management and 20% is carp.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 02:13:11 pm »

I So wish I could put this as my signature. It is so true.

But I still refuse to make kitten mittens.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Detahramet

• Bay Watcher
  • LIBERAL DWARF SQUAD! Hell yes, LDS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 02:14:49 pm »

Well they don't seem to mind the horrible gruesome life, so long as we have big enough communal dining room with grand tables.
Hail Kodkod, Goddess of Jam!

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 08:09:33 pm »

Come now, one doesn't post something like that and expect to get away with not providing a link.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 08:11:56 pm »

I started off caring for my dwarves, giving them nice rooms. Now I give each dwarf giant homes, metal furniture. Even Urist Mcuseless, even Urist Mcbeekeeper.

... I feel different now.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute
Pages: [1] 2 3 4