Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: What has, and would happen, realistically, at first contact?  (Read 37315 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: What has, and would happen, realistically, at first contact?
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2012, 12:46:20 am »

Dolphin invasions are no threat. Just give them a load of sparkly toys and things and they'll be distracted potentially for the rest of the period over which their biological functions remain active. And mirrors. Because if anything, we've established that dolphins like playing with things, like sparkly things, and like looking at themselves. It's just like distracting children with something shiny and noisy.

And I'm sure we have enough children's toys to distract dolphins for many years to come.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2012, 01:46:29 am »

Worst-case scenario we can just keep on lowering the pH of the ocean until the dolphins can't live in it anymore.

This will, of course, result in the extinction of most life on Earth, but the Human-Dolphin War of 2025 will end in our favor.
It's much easier than that to kill dolphins. Use Sonic weaponry. Sound travels extremely far under water, and the shockwave has been reported to be deadly to dolphins and other large sea species. Just set of a few explosives and you got all dolphins within a hundred kilometers. (or More)

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2012, 03:44:35 am »

we could make the dolphins smarter , more agile on land and ultimately , our slaves by giving them primitive human genes that would make them a bit smarter , but not too smart or we will get the dolphin revolution .

monkeys would be easier target , but not as nearly as awsome as land dolphin slaves .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2012, 03:49:38 am »

TBH we have been doing a pretty good job of wiping them out by fishing for tuna and suchike with trawlernets and so on for a while now. So all this conjecture about how hard to hit a dolphin 10 ft underwater with a rifle? Ill just sit over there with my net and wait until you lot are all done then get to it.
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2012, 04:22:54 am »

TBH we have been doing a pretty good job of wiping them out by fishing for tuna and suchike with trawlernets and so on for a while now. So all this conjecture about how hard to hit a dolphin 10 ft underwater with a rifle? Ill just sit over there with my net and wait until you lot are all done then get to it.
Yup, killing dolphins is easier than shooting fish in a barrel. I mean, even if you miss there's a large chance the dolphin will die from the shockwave. (Which is why offshore windparks are so dangerous. The drilling for the foundations makes enormous amounts of noise.)

we could make the dolphins smarter , more agile on land and ultimately , our slaves by giving them primitive human genes that would make them a bit smarter , but not too smart or we will get the dolphin revolution ..
Dna's not lego. You can't pick the parts you like and just paste it in.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2012, 04:35:33 am »

if i remember correctly , scientists replaced some genes to rats with human genes and the rat had larger brains and it was smarter .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2012, 04:54:05 am »

if i remember correctly , scientists replaced some genes to rats with human genes and the rat had larger brains and it was smarter .
Rats, unlike dolphins are remarkably similair to humans. (which is why we use them in tests and stuff). Then again, you can't just swap genes and expect things to work. Or current method of insertion is extremely inaccurate (Basically we just throw it in and hope it ends up on the correct spot) and only works for fairly small changes.

Add to that that we don't know what most of our genes exactly do. (10% codes for proteins, 80% controls the previous 10% and the rest are anyone's guess.)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2012, 05:02:07 am »

As well as the above, you cant simply splice parts of organisms together. Thats not how it works. If you take material from DNA for human eyes and place it in the developing embryo of a fruit fly, it will grow a normal fly eye. There is far more at play there than just building blocks.
This is a blank sig.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2012, 05:35:10 am »

Playing with the pH balance of the ocean to kill the dolphin menace results in MAD.

Explosives work to a limited degree, but they still have an effective range, and a resistance to sonic shockwaves can be built up.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2012, 05:37:18 am »

The answer would be nets... John West got dolphin killing down a long time ago.
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 09, 2012, 05:37:41 am »

Playing with the pH balance of the ocean to kill the dolphin menace results in MAD.

Explosives work to a limited degree, but they still have an effective range, and a resistance to sonic shockwaves can be built up.
Not as easily.

Also, how are dolphins supposed to harm us. Last time I checked most seaborn vessels are either steel or stationary. We can easily focus our defenses around vital installations and fight and win a defensive war.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 09, 2012, 08:31:43 am »

Idle question: is it more acceptable in some fashion (and if so, why) to create a slave race of smarter chimpanzees than to create a slave race of obedient, dumb human thralls?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 09, 2012, 08:54:30 am »

slave chimps are a lot more funnier than monobrowed dumb human like freaks .

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 09, 2012, 08:59:41 am »

Idle question: is it more acceptable in some fashion (and if so, why) to create a slave race of smarter chimpanzees than to create a slave race of obedient, dumb human thralls?
Well humans would fall a lot closer to human empathy territory. Being humans and all. Chimpanzees would too I guess, but they're really hairy and not as close to humans as humans.
But for a slave race, if you really wanted people to not be concerned by it, you'd want them as far from humans as possible. Something like giant cockroaches maybe.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 09, 2012, 09:03:28 am »

evil sentient space lizard men would do .
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19