Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19

Author Topic: What has, and would happen, realistically, at first contact?  (Read 37262 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What has, and would happen, realistically, at first contact?
« Reply #195 on: September 09, 2012, 09:32:02 am »

Idle question: is it more acceptable in some fashion (and if so, why) to create a slave race of smarter chimpanzees than to create a slave race of obedient, dumb human thralls?
Well humans would fall a lot closer to human empathy territory. Being humans and all. Chimpanzees would too I guess, but they're really hairy and not as close to humans as humans.
But for a slave race, if you really wanted people to not be concerned by it, you'd want them as far from humans as possible. Something like giant cockroaches maybe.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Poor guys down at district 9 :(

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 09, 2012, 09:37:33 am »

CAT FOOOOOD!
This is a blank sig.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2012, 11:39:04 am »

No slaves, but a race of sentient dolphins would be awesome since they could trade underwater services like scouting for oil in exchange for man-made tools and such to build an underwater society. Dolphin Banana Republics.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2012, 03:22:47 pm »

Just how would they use their man made goods, i wonder?
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2012, 04:04:28 pm »

I'd like to say here that I'm extremely skeptical of the dolphin communication experiment listed earlier.  If it shows up in Nature or the like, call me.  Until then, I'm going to continue to think that dolphins are very smart, but not on a human level.

The tool use thing is also a big thing.  Even if they are smart, without graspers it'd be pretty tough to form a real civilization.
Shoes...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2012, 04:17:02 pm »

I'd like to say here that I'm extremely skeptical of the dolphin communication experiment listed earlier.  If it shows up in Nature or the like, call me.  Until then, I'm going to continue to think that dolphins are very smart, but not on a human level.

The tool use thing is also a big thing.  Even if they are smart, without graspers it'd be pretty tough to form a real civilization.
Well there's mouths for a start. They can at least hold things.
And I think someone I know once mentioned dolphins being able to carry things with their vaginal muscles but I'm pretty dubious of that claim.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2012, 04:18:44 pm »

They could have civilization in a sense, just not one that matches our idea of it. Our conception of civilization is (naturally) centered on our own behaviors and norms; we build cities and use tools, therefore civilization is partially defined by tool use and citybuilding.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2012, 04:24:06 pm »

From a theoretical standpoint, a civilization of sapient dolphins would be limited to hunter-gatherer organization unless some genius foolish, foolish human provided them with powered exoskeletons equipped with proper grasping appendages.

But no one would ever do that, no, I they am are not some stereotypical Bond villain.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2012, 08:35:04 pm »

Dolphins are tool users. They use australian sponges to handle spines of sea urchins while rooting in the dirt for food. They have also been trained by humans to use tools to accomplish other tasks. Their lack of thumbs is a big problem, but a dolphin chemist could, in theory, use stuff found in the sea to make a inverted depth charge to sink boats with. Something with metal destroying properties without the big boom that hurts poor dolphin organs. And without using their extra grasper too!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2012, 08:37:40 pm »

Well, we know that Neanderthals had Religion, or at least we're fairly sure they did, and we're fairly sure that Dolphins don't, so we know that Dolphins must be either less intelligent or less curious than Neanderthals. Or they somehow know SCIENCE without any kind of lead-up.

And we could probably make some tools developed especially for Dolphin use, what with everything becoming push-button. If Dolphins can figure out how to push buttons and pull levers, and they are dexterous enough to replace some medium-sized parts, we could make a little Dolphin Society, I think.

We'd need to breed them to be a bit less intelligent though and for some reason I think that would be seen as unethical. People are really weird about creating sentients.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2012, 10:23:14 pm »

only on bay12 do we contemplate the strategies of a war against dolphinkind.

This made my day.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2012, 10:47:51 pm »

General Ripper says we should nuke them into oblivion... Then again, he always says that.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2012, 11:23:31 pm »

General Ripper says we should nuke them into oblivion... Then again, he always says that.

He's never been wrong...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2012, 11:32:42 pm »

He's never been wrong...

Except that one time, when we should have nuked them into annihilation. The Imperials REALLY didn't appreciate that time.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2012, 03:47:03 am »

I'm just glad there isn't a general Flipper equivalent.

Which makes me wonder, would the dolphins survive a nuclear attack against the surface-dwellers? I guess not, since they still need the same air to breathe...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19