Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 245201 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th
« Reply #1530 on: October 27, 2016, 09:53:13 pm »

Yeah you can always deconstruct modules and buildings with zero loss and remake them.

There used to be a way to renovate buildings after completion to increase the footprint, but it was causing holy hell with the building renderer so I understand why it got axed.

I'm guessing from the way the foreign office works you have to have a lot of researchers to get progress on the bottom tech trees, which... I really wish you could pick the field you want.

EDIT: And I just realized you can by clicking on the primary research field. Guess I should actually build stuff and try it out first.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:03:26 pm by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Trebz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: October 28, 2016, 05:58:42 am »

The interface is clunky and lacking in useful info. I didn't have enough resources to build a kitchen and couldnt assign an overseer. I got 'the resources and it was still unfinished even though I had two other newer buildings completed no problem. I had an eldritch horror within 30 minutes that just wandered around until I killed it.
DF gets more complex the more you build, CE doesn't seem to.

I do like the game and I think a lot of us here see the Potential in it. It could be really great, it's a shame if budgeting mismanagement killed it too soon. Maybe do a kickstarter to finish it if they have to.

Trebz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: October 28, 2016, 06:26:18 am »

So this just happened.

Apparently the whole game is just a hologram!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I already reported it and sent them a save, but amusing nonetheless.

Yer a hologram!

Gotta bite the bullet on this one early, you'll thank me later.

And the dev stopped updates 2000 years ago...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: November 02, 2016, 11:11:24 am »

Funny how they started wanting to build a "Dwarf Fortress, but with a real UI" and ended up with reviewers saying DF has a better UI (and A.I.).

http://www.pcgamer.com/clockwork-empires-review/?utm_content=bufferd79d6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: November 02, 2016, 03:27:38 pm »

Maybe I'm in the minority but I didn't feel the UI is that bad. I mean, it is bad, but not on a Dwarf Fortress level of bad.

It's pretty ugly but it works.

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: November 02, 2016, 03:33:22 pm »

this is wrong, they're been publishing updates regularly (at least once a month) since at least 2 year ago, you can check https://www.clockworkempires.com/development.html for details of each releases

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: November 02, 2016, 04:03:06 pm »

Maybe I'm in the minority but I didn't feel the UI is that bad. I mean, it is bad, but not on a Dwarf Fortress level of bad.

It's functional and I definitely like the personality tracker window, but there's a lot of things that could stand to be streamlined and polished a little.

All said the game just feels like it was released too early for some reason, but I like it enough to have played it some 30+ hours since launch and still going.

It's poking a great pig pile of potential with a stick, and at the rate I've seen the devs work on it I'm sure it will get there, eventually.

There's a big difference between something like this and... Towns or whatever.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: November 02, 2016, 07:05:43 pm »

I'm pretty sure you described DF UI as well.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: November 02, 2016, 07:40:11 pm »

Funny how they started wanting to build a "Dwarf Fortress, but with a real UI" and ended up with reviewers saying DF has a better UI (and A.I.).

http://www.pcgamer.com/clockwork-empires-review/?utm_content=bufferd79d6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Accurate.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: November 03, 2016, 11:53:40 am »

*sigh*  I had some big hopes from this game.  I loved DoD and was hoping to see their next game be great as well, especially with them moving in a DF direction.  Seems like it could still be good, but I think I'll have to wait on an update or two, especially with my resubbing to FFXIV recently.

Trebz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: November 04, 2016, 10:28:22 am »

this is wrong, they're been publishing updates regularly (at least once a month) since at least 2 year ago, you can check https://www.clockworkempires.com/development.html for details of each releases

Whoosh.jpg
It's a joke about the new theory that reality is a hologram. I was trying to say creationists think the game "earth" was released 6000 years ago and not updated for 2000yrs.....
:)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: November 04, 2016, 12:21:49 pm »

... that "new" theory's a few decades old (I remember well reading articles proposing it back in the 90s, heh), and obscure to boot. The joke ball didn't go over folks heads', it buried itself in the dirt before they noticed it :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: November 04, 2016, 01:25:20 pm »

Plato's ideal vs the mundane has been kicked around by philosophers for a long time now. Not really new, the Matrix was a total rip-off.

Trebz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: November 05, 2016, 07:28:20 am »

But now they can mathematically back up the theory. It's less a game and more of a "boredom" simulator. Which game designers should learn from and avoid. Clockwork empires could work if they knew where to put the right focus. Rimworld has the right idea.

Early concept Clockwork empires was supposed to have a big city feel with the ability to zoom out really far. Watching one house get built is more boring than watching dozens get built.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 04, 2017, 03:41:26 pm »

Looks like there might be a community patch in the future. https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/community-patch-anyone-interested.20992/

I don't think the game will every be great, but maybe the community will be able to make it playable.

It's a real shame Gaslamp Games jumped ship and abandoned the game before it was done.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105