Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 245022 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2012, 03:04:18 pm »

New “procedural extrusion” technology lets you design your colony the way you want! Buildings are procedurally generated and extruded directly from the aether to your specifications!

:D

Resisting fry macro spam.

Quote from: PCgamer article
Nicholas (Vining, Technical Director) has an inherent hatred of poets, and this is coming out in our game."

Finally, someone who shares my hatred and is willing to show it like hell!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:06:07 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 03:06:49 pm »

So I remember "megaprojects" from the old citybuilders, and it was essentially just a resource hog that took forever to build. For a super mega project it never really struck me as being that awesome. I'm wondering if they can make this different... such as instead of it simply being a monument, it could be a gigantic factory of awesome. Or maybe it'll just be the usual resource hog with pretty graphics.

I'm a cynic :(
Quote from: PC gamer article
I haven’t touched on Clockwork’s volatile inversion of Civ-style Wonders: “inherently dangerous” Megaprojects.
So it looks like megaprojects will be functional which is good.
Not so good:
Quote from: PC gamer article
All of this focus on intricate, narrative-driven sandbox city-building wouldn’t mean much if Gaslamp wasn’t putting emphasis on playability, which it mercifully is. They have some direct experience in this—Dredmor managed to domesticate the roguelike—a famously cryptic, literally-hard-to-decrypt style of game—with smart, flexible interface, cozy controls, and reference-laden tooltips. It was a cinch to play, but it retained the hardness and spirit of its ancestor game. Gaslamp wants to achieve this again with Clockwork. ‘We’re trying very hard not to outwardly or ostensibly label it as ‘Dwarf Fortress For Everybody.’ But that’s sort of our goal at heart, to try and take that experience and make it accessible,” says Jacobsen. “Two of the reasons why Dwarf Fortress isn’t for everyone right now are the graphics and the user interface. So we’re doing things that will allow us to try to get a lot of the functionality through while making it easy enough for people to pick it up.”
Yuck, I really hope they don't dumb it down too much (which is my only real fear about this game).
DoD was fun once or twice, but after that it was really too simplistic and even boring (especially with the slow animation speeds).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 03:24:03 pm »

Very promising. Not enough developer start with an interesting concept and then build the game from there, most just take a genre like RTS or RPG work on some mechanics and then strap on a back story to justify said mechanics. Still early to say if they got it right, but it certainly seem they are on the right track.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 03:24:49 pm »

Eagerly looking forward to this!  As a roguelike lover, I thought what they did with DoD was brilliant and added a nice humorous but functional side to traditional roguelikes.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 03:34:03 pm »

I wants it now...
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 03:37:43 pm »

Honestly have nothing to say here. It's like Gamer Jesus descended from heaven and presented a party bus to take us to the promised land, it also menaces with spikes of awesome.

I'll be watching this one eagerly.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 04:14:15 pm »

Well... this looks promising.
They pretty much nailed it right down to the useless migrants.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2012, 04:37:35 pm »

Honestly have nothing to say here. It's like Gamer Jesus descended from heaven and presented a party bus to take us to the promised land, it also menaces with spikes of awesome.

I'll be watching this one eagerly.

I seriously doubt it'll be that good. But I'm still hoping it'll be a great game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 04:59:43 pm »

Lovecraft, civ-building, and a persistent world? Count me the hell in.

Professor Zephyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2012, 06:34:42 pm »

It sounds very impressive, and I like the art style in the screenshots. My only real question at the moment is how their building system is going to work in practice. I do love me some flexibility and uniqueness in my buildings, but at the same time I do not want to design every building from scratch.
I am become Jon, formatter of hard drives.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 06:44:19 pm »

It sounds very impressive, and I like the art style in the screenshots. My only real question at the moment is how their building system is going to work in practice. I do love me some flexibility and uniqueness in my buildings, but at the same time I do not want to design every building from scratch.

Yeah, being able to save building designs would be nice. I might want all my houses to look the same! Or maybe I want 3 different types, with maybe slight deviations between specific houses.

A template system would work pretty well for this. Get a house created and save it, then when you place a house you can load the template and either use it as-is or tweak it a bit before placing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 07:55:19 pm »

They've already threatened to make it user-friendly.  I highly doubt that you'll have to do each individual building.  Unless the "building" is more like a "district" and you have one supermassive apartment block for the entire city, in which case doing it individual would be fine.

Something tells me the AI will be designing buildings if you let it, though.  Like if you give it a free plot and a building type, then it will throw together something rational and low-efficiency.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 08:12:14 pm »

Quote from: from PC Gamer Article
It’ll be moddable.
Quote from: Gaslamp Press Release
Comes complete with the Gaslamp Games Quality of Excellence that you know and love, and if you don’t like something you can mod it yourself in the best tradition of Empire Craftsmanship!
My money. Take all of it.
EDIT:Had to get a new screen because I threw a piggybank at the old one. Apparently monitors aren't portals.
Oh well, the screen was about to break anyway.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:00:32 am by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2012, 09:06:38 pm »

Losing is still fun! When your colony fails miserably, earn medals, promotions, and titles as befits a true politician and scion of the Empire!
Multi-player mode, with up to 4 players, lets you co-operate with your closest friends to build a glorious city… or fight a horrifying economic battle to total annihilation!
Round-Robin mode lets you share your Clockwork Empires with friends! Take turns running a colony directly into the ground then argue for fun-filled hours about whose fault it was! (Like Monopoly but with more exploding Zeppelins!)
Basically a DF player's wishlist, it seems. I haven't played DoD but color me interested.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2012, 11:41:29 pm »

This just put 2012 on the top of my list of best years for gaming.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:43:11 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 105