Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 244757 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2012, 11:49:22 pm »

This just put 2012 on the top of my list of best years for gaming.
I heard it is coming out in 2013. Late 2013. Fully a unsubstantiated rumor of course. But Sounds about right.

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2012, 12:01:30 am »

Seems like they're trying to play meme bingo here.  All it needs now is zombies.

Also, I dislike the fact that making commercial DF clones is starting to become a trend. 

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2012, 12:35:37 am »

I have only just heard of this game and I NEED it in my life.

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2012, 01:09:00 am »

Eh, I might actually give it a try despite the unappealing setting.  Sounds like it actually has some interesting stuff going on underneath the hood:

The other exciting thing that we are doing is trying to solve the problem of getting bogged down in simulation, which Dwarf Fortress has a big problem with. Anybody who's ever opened Hell knows about this. The solution is to make the simuation layer span multiple cores efficiently, but this is easier said than done. To deal with this, we teamed up with the CASCADE research group at Simon Fraser University. Micah J. Best has joined us as a systems programmer, been working with us under the auspices of a MITACS Industrial Grant, and he and I have been building a very sophisticated message-passing and scheduling system. As a bonus, we get multiplayer, which would otherwise be impossible to try and send over a network. So we're being clever here.

Leading nicely into minimum spec requirements... This is the main reason why we are heavily pushing for quad-core as a minimum spec machine. Other than that, you'll need a DirectX 9-capable graphics card. (We use OpenGL, but it's a good baseline.) You'll get the best performance and visual effects if you have a newer graphics card, something that can support OpenCL or the OpenGL compute shaders that were just announced at SIGGRAPH 2012. You will also want a good chunk of RAM.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2012, 03:50:02 am »

This looks interesting, I didn't check when it would be/was out though.

Gaslamp are cool.
Everybody!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2012, 04:23:27 am »

Looks like it could be interesting. I enjoyed DoD and do like the steampunk concept so I'm hopeful.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2012, 04:30:11 am »

Seems like they're trying to play meme bingo here.  All it needs now is zombies.

Also, I dislike the fact that making commercial DF clones is starting to become a trend.

So Gaslamp Studio is making a procedural fantasy world generator that simulates weather, battles and every-day life of thousand of virtual people? Awesome!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2012, 05:30:44 am »

So Gaslamp Studio is making a procedural fantasy world generator that simulates weather, battles and every-day life of thousand of virtual people? Awesome!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I agree. also, donation to toady havent slowed up in comparison to last year because towns or gnomoria, if anything, they were raised a little. i think that the same effect will happen to Bay12 donations rate after Game of Dwarves release and even after that new one. this genre is very unpopular in comparison to other genres and games like towns/gnomoria/GoD only bring new and fresh blood. some of those newcomers will want something deeper and that's what DF is for.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2012, 05:39:19 am »

This certainly has gained my interest.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2012, 05:47:54 am »

I would like to play this.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2012, 07:27:43 am »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Multiplayer! Multiplayer! Multiplayer! Multiplayer! Multiplayer!

I....egh....urk...YES!

Seriously though, I am devoid of both Steampunk, Citybuilders and good multiplayer.
Everybody!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2012, 08:20:47 am »

From Something Awful

You specify a blueprint on the ground. You tag each wall with a "profile", which designates the building material and the profile of the roof. We then automatically extrude the building based on this. End result: you choose what the building looks like. (Then you stick decorations and gameplay elements on it, hook it to the Steam Pipes, etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhX79At0vng  <-- this is not our system, but this is somebody else's implementation of the same algorithm we use. Ours does texturing, which his does not. So, yeah. Basically, if you want all your buildings to be octagonal Gothic Cathedrals, we'll accomodate you. If you just want to plunk down square megaliths, we got you covered. Want all your urchins to live in large, faux-Japanese pagodas? Got you covered. It's *very* cool stuff, and I'm really excited to be using it.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2012, 09:59:06 am »

Gblurgl.

WANT!
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2012, 10:42:16 am »

From Something Awful

You specify a blueprint on the ground. You tag each wall with a "profile", which designates the building material and the profile of the roof. We then automatically extrude the building based on this. End result: you choose what the building looks like. (Then you stick decorations and gameplay elements on it, hook it to the Steam Pipes, etc.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhX79At0vng  <-- this is not our system, but this is somebody else's implementation of the same algorithm we use. Ours does texturing, which his does not. So, yeah. Basically, if you want all your buildings to be octagonal Gothic Cathedrals, we'll accomodate you. If you just want to plunk down square megaliths, we got you covered. Want all your urchins to live in large, faux-Japanese pagodas? Got you covered. It's *very* cool stuff, and I'm really excited to be using it.
Something tells me the AI will be designing buildings if you let it, though.  Like if you give it a free plot and a building type, then it will throw together something rational and low-efficiency.
I sorta called it.  "Let the computer handle the details" is the building style.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2012, 11:10:27 am »

I'm also watching this. Steampunk is always a fun genre, and Dreadmor was a whole lot of fun (I mean, not as good as Nethack, but still an awesome Roguelike!)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 105