Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 243695 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #720 on: November 14, 2013, 06:32:43 pm »

Really we have Canada to thank for giving us tax credits for doing weird experimental stuff to make simulations run faster on newer architectures.

I find this oddly delightful.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 14, 2013, 08:33:00 pm »

Just got characters in-game to recognize each other as made of meat.  Good day.

One can only imagine the many ways they'll begin to act on this knowledge.  One can only subsist on boiled cabbage for so long.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 15, 2013, 10:12:46 am »

No :(  There's honestly not a lot of motivation to chase those sorts of things to improve performance, not at this point in the project, and not unless you're obsessing over speeds the way that really competitive games do.  And those guys hoard their secrets these days. Nicholas and Micah spend a lot of time mangling the C++ compiler which is interesting though.  Really we have Canada to thank for giving us tax credits for doing weird experimental stuff to make simulations run faster on newer architectures.  Honestly, I'm somewhat convinced that you'll be seeing a lot of these methods in other games in the next 5-10 years.

Just got characters in-game to recognize each other as made of meat.  Good day.

Let me guess.  The next step is getting characters in-game to recognize that meat is a remedy for hunger?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 15, 2013, 02:05:58 pm »

Oh that's already there.  Things just got weird. 

On the bright side, if you leave the simulation on for a while at the start of a game in an environment with no natural food sources, you still have one or two characters to perform tasks.  Makes debugging easier :)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 15, 2013, 02:12:09 pm »

So when are the colonists going to get ethics that tell them that cannibalism is frowned upon in polite circles?

I assume just barbaric behavior will stay in the game, for use by cultists warped by eldritch abominations if nothing else.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 15, 2013, 02:13:03 pm »

Eating human flesh currently drives them a bit mad.  We don't currently have any constables to try to stop them, but it's on the list

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 15, 2013, 02:28:32 pm »

Is it the act of eating human meat, or knowing that they ate human meat. Would be nice if it was the latter, as that could suddenly lead to mass insanity inducing food scandals.

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 15, 2013, 02:48:04 pm »

It's the memory of ingesting the meat.  I like the idea, but in the case where they're literally just hacking up their fallen comrades with axes and eating raw steaks, I think they'd know.

I mean, because it's the memory and not the act itself that drives them mad, we can actually do fun things with that later, but the system isn't quite finished enough that I want to spend a few days making a system where people eat meat pies without knowing, the cook won't tell anyone, but people who see the cook making the pies can tell people that they ate human meat.  I mean, we could do it, but it would be a little complicated to explain to the player what's happening.  Getting constables to keep the peace is a little higher on the list.

You're not the first person to suggest it though... maybe we need to do this.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 15, 2013, 02:54:07 pm »

You could use the newspaper thingy to illustrate complicated event chains like this.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 15, 2013, 02:57:06 pm »

You could use the newspaper thingy to illustrate complicated event chains like this.

Yeah, that'd make a heck of a headline!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 15, 2013, 03:11:25 pm »

Yeah, I just kind of want people to have to dig a little bit to find out what's going on, but not so much that they won't ever find out.  Plus it would be weird if it showed up in the paper before they were caught, you know?

I'll figure something out.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: November 15, 2013, 05:15:08 pm »

Maybe have one of the constables run around screaming "MEAT PIES ARE MADE OUT PEOPLE! THEY'RE MADE OUT OF PEEEEOPLEEEE!"?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 15, 2013, 05:19:50 pm »

Yeah, I just kind of want people to have to dig a little bit to find out what's going on, but not so much that they won't ever find out.  Plus it would be weird if it showed up in the paper before they were caught, you know?

I'll figure something out.

Not sure how much you're planning on using the Newspaper bit to convey things. But I had an interesting thought.

The Headline, of course, would be for major news of whatever sort. But you can then have small stub articles that highlight other things going on in the settlement that might be of interest. Booming areas, shortages, and the like.

So you could have a Headline talking about mysterious disappearances in town. Further down, there could be a little article about people lining up for the Inn's 'Famous Meat Pies'. Maybe alongside another article about a Beet Blight hitting local crops (or whatever else is going on).

Thus giving the player clues without needing to be overt about it.
Come play Mafia with us!

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: November 15, 2013, 05:32:07 pm »

Yeah, that would be a way of making the paper interesting, for sure.  Truth be told, though, I'm actually not sold on the newspaper idea.  It has some really interesting benefits like being nicely period-appropriate and giving players a digest of information, but it's either going to be so effective that players will read the paper instead of watching the game, or ineffective enough that no one will read it.

One of the ideas that i DO think is interesting to try, that we came up with as a compromise, is having "reports" that are generated by specific professional offices that you can construct, where you have a phrenologist and a physician and so forth, and they go about besetting your colonists with "exams", and their reports could have useful information in them.  It has a nice bonus of breaking up the information into bits that the player specifically requests, and it makes reading these things more character focused, which is important to us.

We also had the idea that geological reports for mining could be compiled in the same way, showing 2d "paper" representations of progress in the mines and so forth.  Sadly, not a lot of work has been done on the mining simulation yet, as we've been focusing on getting the economics and combat in a good state lately.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 15, 2013, 05:41:14 pm »

And you could also throw in some red herrings. Talk about a cow disease outbreak or something, so when people who ate meat pies go crazy, you think "Oh, they got some sort of disease from infected meat!", but instead it's because the meat is made out of humans and you'd have to notice that not -everyone- who eats it goes crazy, it's only the meat-pie eaters and not other meat-product eaters, and it dies off as only the people who see it made go crazy.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 105