Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 243700 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #780 on: November 28, 2013, 12:05:21 pm »

Sure wouldn't mind DX9 support, though.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: November 28, 2013, 01:13:55 pm »

The bit about the driver madness in the post could have used a little context.

The short story is that HP's driver support is AWFUL and we can't fix that.  I don't know if anyone on the planet can, including the people at HP.

The long story is that laptop manufacturers often bundle specific drivers with their laptops (if you've ever had an Acer or HP or Compaq or whatever, you know that there's a page on their website that contains all the drivers "for" that laptop).  It is almost tradition that these drivers are not the most current drivers for the hardware, because they test them with the hardware and won't vet newer drivers because it's a costly process.

Typically the newer drivers for that chip specifically from the chip manufacturer will work for any given laptop with that chip (though in some seemingly very rare cases they cause issues).  Installing them at this point is just a matter of going to intel's website, downloading their driver software, and running it.  However , if your laptop manufacturer has actually changed the drivers themselves, by changing the date on the file to make your computer think that they're newer than the actual official drivers from Intel, then there's really not much we can do.  You have to delete any record of them on your PC because otherwise it will attempt to install them anytime it notices a device that matches their specs on your PC (it thinks they're the newest ones after all).  I will go on record and say that this is really stupid.  People who are savvy enough to know that they have a specific intel chipset and know how to find their drivers should again be savvy enough to deal with these problems.

Finally, I want to add, just for posterity, that of course I wish that there was a way for us to guarantee that the game would work on everyone's PC.  Not only is that good business, but we want to be as inclusive as possible, and we know not everyone can afford current gen hardware.  We're probably going to be able to support video cards that are up to 5 years old.  We can even support some laptop hardware that isn't even really designed for games that's 2 years old.  But we're not miracle workers.  I'm sorry folks.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: November 28, 2013, 04:35:35 pm »

Well its nice to see that you are trying to include everyone to be able to play your game. I had to update my video card and ram to work with solid works a bit better. Like not take 30 mins to load up to get school work done better.

It does seem like a headache trying to get all cards at a certain point to function with your program (albeit I am an Unfranked man when it comes to any real programming), but that's the headache of non-standardizing.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: November 28, 2013, 04:54:16 pm »

Did... Did you just post in comic sans?

... Are you trying to get killed?! D:
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: November 28, 2013, 11:59:54 pm »

Did... Did you just post in comic sans?

... Are you trying to get killed?! D:

Until I can play this game, I have to make as many people go insane for various reasons. This font apparently does that to other people. I, for one, dont have a problem with it. I did a few papers in this font and got good grades on them.

You know you could make the newspapers start using this font when the player allowed the print shop to use mystical items on the press itself if you like.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: November 29, 2013, 10:00:13 am »

I don't even know what's going on over here anymore.  This is more like our work day than you might suspect:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/11/20/the-codebase-of-elemental-evil/

Damnit, release the game already.  *grin*
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: November 29, 2013, 10:05:21 am »

(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

On the topic of newspapers and other such things printed on mostly-dead wood pulp, I think postmortem reports after the colony's eventual demise might have the best potential.  It lets you dive into more detail without being concerned that you are providing too much information. (Kind of like the legends interface in DF)

You sir, are being sigged

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 04, 2013, 04:45:22 pm »

I rambled a little this morning, and David drew a picture of admiral ackbar:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/12/04/you-take-the-story-and-you-put-it-in-the-economic-simulator/

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #788 on: December 04, 2013, 06:12:57 pm »

It almost always gets in the way, and you would rather nerve staple them all and have them work forever with no rest than let them have a good time.  I get it, I’ve been there.

Just need to get the new adventures of Recon Rover Rick published. That'll keep them happy.

Also, this fungus actually tastes pretty good.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 06:14:39 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 05, 2013, 04:56:27 am »

I rambled a little this morning, and David drew a picture of admiral ackbar:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/12/04/you-take-the-story-and-you-put-it-in-the-economic-simulator/

Good Stuff in there.

How about balancing work output against innovation?  The more work output, the less innovation, and vice-versa.  You might adjust that balance over time with better schools, more labs, factory automation, educated foremen, etc., but always give the player a clear indication that if they work their drones, err, citizens too hard, they won't be as creative, and tech increases will be slower.  Work them really hard, and your tech will stagnate.

This is presuming, of course, that there will be some sort of dynamic tech level.  Very few of us colony builder gamer types will sacrifice all of our tech gains for production gains, except at the end game, or if we're getting our tails kicked.

**EDIT**
If work output goes too low, then innovation should also slow down.  Don't let us game the system too much.  If everyone gets to be a slack ass at work, nobody will be motivated to improve things except for the weird ones with enough time on their hands to go worship at eldritch temples in the woods.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:00:31 am by Farmerbob »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 05, 2013, 12:48:19 pm »

Also, if there is technology, or even just proficiencies... Would there be seperate schemes for different methods? Like if we focus entirely on Eldritch power, then would Coal power not work as well as if we had focused on it? :V
I'mnotexplainingthisverywell.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 05, 2013, 01:54:19 pm »

And if there's no 'research' mechanic it could affect both character's moods (this is a narrative-based game, right?) and the quality of goods.  We'd have the chance to create small quantities of high grade stuff or have vast quantities of trash produced by stressed out peasants.  It'd kinda fit in with the steampunk/industrialisation theme too.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 05, 2013, 01:59:26 pm »

You also have the aspect that people without work to do get uppity quite quickly (since they're not getting paid), so there is a disincentive to abuse any mechanics that'll leave too many people underutilized for long.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 05, 2013, 02:04:07 pm »

You also have the aspect that people without work to do get uppity quite quickly (since they're not getting paid), so there is a disincentive to abuse any mechanics that'll leave too many people underutilized for long.

Very good point.  The unemployed should be revolting as often as possible.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 05, 2013, 02:28:21 pm »

The characters don't get paid, per se.  I spent a fair chunk of last night thinking about why that is after someone in the comments mentioned it, and wrote a response on the blog to why we're not doing that (which is here )

There are a whole wack of great story-driving outcomes of characters, i'm so taking suggestions for this.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 105