Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 244887 times)

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - Gaslamp Studios makes a colony builder!
« Reply #1110 on: May 14, 2014, 06:29:10 pm »

You guys alright over there, Daniel?  There hasn't been a blog post and I was curious if you all were just too swamped to do it or something.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: May 14, 2014, 07:48:46 pm »

Huzzah for horrendously complex animation load orders!  Then again, I have no background in video game design, so it could actually be extremely simple.  One way or another, good to see work still progressing, can't wait to be able to throw money at you guys in the Summer.

Also, Diggles fighting E. Honda are always relevant.

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #1113 on: May 14, 2014, 08:02:45 pm »

NEVER!

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/05/14/the-meat-tree-fitting-pipes-together/

We're good :D

Nice! I've been working on that this week too for my own game. Really really hard to get right and looking good.
Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: May 14, 2014, 08:29:19 pm »

Quote from: tags
the first couple drawings of the meat tree looked like they were bristling with phalluses and were therefore canned

I guess they were the wrong kind of wood, huh?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: May 14, 2014, 09:23:25 pm »

Quote from: tags
the first couple drawings of the meat tree looked like they were bristling with phalluses and were therefore canned

I guess they were the wrong kind of wood, huh?

I'm deeply excited by the potential for meat orchards. The real question, though, is whether there will be grass-cows to graze in meat-pastures. And what, if anything, in this scenario is vegan.

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: May 14, 2014, 10:56:46 pm »

Hey Simon!

Yeah we're definitely at the point where the game feels weird due to the lack of response on the animations.  We are actually reaching back to fighting games and using their system, which they arguably do the best, because, you know, that's their thing.

They have this lovely system where, when characters interact (punch each other) there's always some sort of visual cue (in their case usually flashing sprites and a particle effect).  After that, they seem to check whether the animation that the punched character is doing should be interrupted (usually if the animation alters the state/position of the character or its held items its uninterruptible).  If it's interruptible, just swap to the new animation and go from there.  If it's not, abandon the one you were trying to push and just have the visual cue, then let them finish putting down their loaf of bread or whatever.

There are a few other stutters in there that I think are more technical (characters start to skate around totally frozen after getting interrupted too many times), but the brunt of it is handling our bad organization :P

(Regarding the meat tree, we, uh, have *some* sort of plan, but it's a ways off.  I think it'll be neat :)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: May 15, 2014, 05:43:07 am »

I'm deeply excited by the potential for meat orchards. The real question, though, is whether there will be grass-cows to graze in meat-pastures. And what, if anything, in this scenario is vegan.
Sigged due to the worrying look my vegan friend gave me after I softly whispered 'are meat orchards vegan?' into his ear.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Lithare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: May 15, 2014, 08:20:51 am »

I love blog posts.  (Said in the voice of Brick as played by Steve Carell in Anchorman)

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: May 21, 2014, 04:34:00 pm »

Well, another week, another blog post by David because I'm doing Planning for Things, and Nicholas is doing UI button programming (way more useful and awesome than a blog post would make it sound).

Thankfully, David is doing some pretty cool stuff :)

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/05/21/what-would-you-say-you-do-here/

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: May 21, 2014, 04:51:30 pm »

Fish people just want to be loved :(
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: May 21, 2014, 04:58:39 pm »

So...how common will it be for deranged citizens to try and give the fish people love? And will the fish people recognize their advances as such?

It...it was horrible. This pink land thing came up to me...and...and...it tried to force chocolate on me! Why would it try to poison me like that??!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: May 21, 2014, 05:59:00 pm »

Right now I'm imagining a special sacrifice spot being arranged where people or meat products are set for the fish people to take so that they may leave the village in peace for another moon's turn.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: May 21, 2014, 07:02:54 pm »

If we let a worker just do the job without an overseer, then we make the game less about how the player assigns work crews which would dilute player attention and the game theme. So instead I had our biome generator spawn a new game object type, an “objectCluster” which spawns a number of things in close proximity to one another based on numbers defined in an external file. Now berry bushes always spawn in clusters of 3-5 and now it makes sense for an overseer and workcrew to collect berries (and it’s not a frustrating waste of time to the player!). Meanwhile, Joseph made a new collection of differently sized berry bushes and Chris made new foraging animations (and hooked them up via FSM bollocksry).

Sounds like you fixed that already, but I wonder about an alternative solution:

If a job is simple or small or short enough that a single person can do it without supervision, perhaps the overseer himself could do it... unless his character traits are such that work of that sort is demeaning, so he'll drag a worker to do it while he stands there and watches anyway? Sort of the overbearing middle management boss most of us have had in our lives (I haven't /humblebrag).

But I don't know if seeing that happen in-game would necessarily translate into a "well, that guy's kind of irritating as an overseer" versus "well, that gameplay feature is annoying", or worse, some confusion on the part of a player as to why some overseers are okay to just do small work themselves versus some not touching any kind of labour with a ten foot steampunkpole versus it not even being readily identifiable because 95% of the work being done involves enough workers or complexity as to actually require an overseer anyway.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: May 21, 2014, 10:03:49 pm »

If a job is simple or small or short enough that a single person can do it without supervision, perhaps the overseer himself could do it... unless his character traits are such that work of that sort is demeaning, so he'll drag a worker to do it while he stands there and watches anyway? Sort of the overbearing middle management boss most of us have had in our lives (I haven't /humblebrag).
A person of his/her station, doing manual labour? Dear cog! Next you'll be telling me that you expect an overseer to treat their labourers as equals. What is this, Stahlmark?
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 105