Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 244786 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - **Earliest access! Testing Details linked in OP **
« Reply #1365 on: July 19, 2014, 12:45:03 am »

Ah, okay is anyone here EldritchPenguin from the gaslamp forums? I know we have the penguin thing but his solution to the early food problem was "get migrants -> execute them -> cannibalism!" and that's too damn dwarfy to be coincidence....
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: July 19, 2014, 03:58:44 am »

Ah, okay is anyone here EldritchPenguin from the gaslamp forums? I know we have the penguin thing but his solution to the early food problem was "get migrants -> execute them -> cannibalism!" and that's too damn dwarfy to be coincidence....

If you poke around in the Gaslamp Games forums, Dwarf Fortress vets are common.  Dredmor is loaded with DF easter eggs.

It does not surprise me at all that there is some crossover  :)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: July 19, 2014, 04:02:45 pm »

If you poke around in the Gaslamp Games forums, Dwarf Fortress vets are common.  Dredmor is loaded with DF easter eggs.

It does not surprise me at all that there is some crossover  :)

If Daniel is any indication, the Gaslamp Games team are DF vets.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: July 19, 2014, 04:34:12 pm »

Yay! Great game!

Looks awesome for such an early version, some points I've found playing so far, not bugs just things to avoid I guess.

1. Its possible to places buildings without any doors. ( my below pointer means its tough-luck once its placed )
2. Please make it so we can renovate lodgings.
3. The kitchen is a bit annoying on the micro management side, it should be you set a target amount of food that the cooks try to keep up.
4. Are crop seeds infinite ?
And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: July 19, 2014, 05:16:17 pm »

1, 2: yep.

3: We've been talking about this over the weekend.  We have had plans about fixing this for a while, but it wasn't as apparent how important fixing this was until now.  The first piece of solving the workshop micro-management problem is most likely setting "standing orders" for X of whatever commodity you want: if you ever fall below 3 cabbage stew, queue more.  There are a few more potential issues that we'll start seeing with products that require more steps to produce, but we have some ideas for that as well.

4: Yes, for now.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: July 19, 2014, 05:45:50 pm »

3: We've been talking about this over the weekend.  We have had plans about fixing this for a while, but it wasn't as apparent how important fixing this was until now.  The first piece of solving the workshop micro-management problem is most likely setting "standing orders" for X of whatever commodity you want: if you ever fall below 3 cabbage stew, queue more.  There are a few more potential issues that we'll start seeing with products that require more steps to produce, but we have some ideas for that as well.

Although I've not played it and so my views don't really count, I think standing orders is the best way around this problem for RTS games in general. Possibly keeping in the ability to just order a set amount would be useful as well for certain scenarios, but standing orders is a really, really good feature.

One thing I would just put in as well is that I hate it when games have different management systems for different production buildings. So things like where food production buildings have standing orders, but weapons can only be built one at a time. Even if there's not many occasions where you'd need a standing order of weapons (or whatever else), having different interfaces is annoying.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: July 19, 2014, 07:23:02 pm »

Yes...consistency is key in any interface to work smoothly and properly and easing the end users experience in learning and using it in general.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: July 19, 2014, 07:50:11 pm »

Having worked with quickbooks in the recent past, I can incredibly strongly confirm that. An inconsistent interface is quite possibly the fastest way to have your user base wanting to track you down and roast your descendants on a spit. Even if it takes a time machine and/or vat growing a few dozen to be cooked. Beta work gets a bit of a pass on that, but any finished product that violates that needs its programmer crew strung up, flayed, and dropped in a vat of acid. And then the vat kicked over a cliff and set on fire.

... hopefully that's not really something CE's interface programming folks need to be reminded of, though. They seem more competent than that. Mind you, a brain dead monkey riddled with syphilis and drowned in a pool of raw sewage is more competent than that, so I'm not sure where intuit found their programmers (perhaps they made puppets out of ground up monkeys of the sort mentioned and threw them randomly at a keyboard, I'unno), but the point stands.

I guess what I'm saying is don't be quickbooks, Clockwork Empires people. Take no programming methodology from that monstrosity. None.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: July 19, 2014, 08:23:28 pm »

Quickbooks is THE DEVIL.

I certainly didn't want to insinuate that Gaslamp would do such a thing or needed to be reminded, I just know that I've seen it in RTS games before and it's always easy to overlook such things, especially if there isn't much of a practical reason why you'd need to make a standing order/whatever for some things. I'm sure this is especially tempting when you're trying to draw the line between an uncluttered interface and have tons going off on the screen.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: July 20, 2014, 01:44:52 am »

just bought the EA and i can't seem to run the game. the graphics are all twisted after i start a new game

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: July 20, 2014, 02:07:24 am »

Thanks for the info Daniel !

I guess I was not the only douche to forget placing a door...yay...

just bought the EA and i can't seem to run the game. the graphics are all twisted after I start a new game

Those poor colonists!  :P

sounds like a graphics card issue but without more info on specs etc its hard to comment.
And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: July 20, 2014, 02:29:17 am »

Might be; might not be. Different graphics cards have different error handling/error results. And I've been seeing some rogue polygons flitting across the screen for a couple frames, once every 10 minutes or so. Could just be whatever the root cause of that is, but with different visual results. From the fun I've had with GPGPU, it can range from nothing, to simple slowdowns, to crashing, to display driver crashing, to display driver crashing + data corruption. :P

Citizen Daniel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: July 20, 2014, 02:45:05 am »

just bought the EA and i can't seem to run the game. the graphics are all twisted after i start a new game

I highly recommend you head to our forum with this.  There have been some weird graphics problems, but substantially less than i was expecting.  This is basically the first test of this engine in the wild ever (beyond our 20 recruits).  Info about what is going on with you could be really helpful!

Sorry about the game tho, we'll sort you out one way or another.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: July 20, 2014, 03:19:07 am »

Two days later, SharpKris finds himself mysteriously exiting a boat, freshly arrived at a distant colony. The foreman along the shore greets him, "Thank you for defending the empire!"

SharpKris gasps as a musket is thrust into his hands, "But I ... I just wanted my graphics card issues resolved!"

"There will be no time for that with the fishpeople overrunning us!" He turns a little too slowly, and finds the charging brigade from the sea two cubits distant. He's arrived in time for one last desperate stand.

Evening finds him lying on the beach in the midst of his own broken teeth and a red tide rolling in. To the heavens he screams, "CURWSH WUUU DANEEOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! CURWSH WUUU GASWAMP GAMSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSH!!!!!"

--

I'm severely tempted to go into the EA here starting monday. It launched during a busy spot for me, so I've been trying to keep myself from it. Like a moth tries so hard to just circle around the fire. Drifting closer on every pass ... No, I mustn't. No, I mustn't respond to that ... that ... arcane temptation. Two days. Twooo dayyssssss. Wait, Monday is only technically like 19 hours away from me. 0.7 days. 0.7 dayyssssss ........
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: July 20, 2014, 03:38:10 am »

Two days later, SharpKris finds himself mysteriously exiting a boat, freshly arrived at a distant colony. The foreman along the shore greets him, "Thank you for defending the empire!"

SharpKris gasps as a musket is thrust into his hands, "But I ... I just wanted my graphics card issues resolved!"

"There will be no time for that with the fishpeople overrunning us!" He turns a little too slowly, and finds the charging brigade from the sea two cubits distant. He's arrived in time for one last desperate stand.

Evening finds him lying on the beach in the midst of his own broken teeth and a red tide rolling in. To the heavens he screams, "CURWSH WUUU DANEEOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! CURWSH WUUU GASWAMP GAMSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSH!!!!!"

--

I'm severely tempted to go into the EA here starting monday. It launched during a busy spot for me, so I've been trying to keep myself from it. Like a moth tries so hard to just circle around the fire. Drifting closer on every pass ... No, I mustn't. No, I mustn't respond to that ... that ... arcane temptation. Two days. Twooo dayyssssss. Wait, Monday is only technically like 19 hours away from me. 0.7 days. 0.7 dayyssssss ........

this
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 105