Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: A Day in the Life (6/6 Players) Chapter Two: Culling the Meek  (Read 10944 times)

A Day in the Life (6/6 Players) Chapter Two: Culling the Meek
« on: August 29, 2012, 02:19:44 am »

You're all regular, middle class schmucks. Pick a name, a job, and write a short physical description with a bio describing why your character does what they do. When we have the players, I'll introduce the scene. I am only going to reveal that it will be more about your wits and how you play your character that will determine the outcome. It is meant to be played cooperatively, but the players have no compunction to aid anyone else. Just remember, have fun, and please try to roleplay it out. If someone is pointing a gun at you and you attempt to lunge at them to disarm them, you could get shot, and you could die. Please act like you don't want to die, because I won't make it particularly hard to do. My only other request is that you pick varying jobs. Maybe we could have a middle-aged mallcop or a bouncer, I just don't want everyone having a ton of fighting skills or para-military experience. Think about normal people you'd see on a bus or flying coach. Hell, sub-normal is good too. You want to play an televangelist or a postal-worker, GO FOR IT. Maybe if you give yourself disorders, diseases, or addictions, I might give you some passive bonuses to certain things or give you a "luck" type bonus. I also might give other passive bonuses based on your jobs. That isn't to imply that making a character that is entirely disabled will help you do well... Just try to find a believable balance!

Other than those, just be creative! I'm going to try to keep this as open-ended as possible, so I need some really unique characters.

Example Character

Name: Kent Richards
Job: Newspaper Editor
Sex: Male
Ethnicity: Canadian
Negative Traits: Nearsighted, squeamish of blood, low alcohol tolerance
Description: Black hair, brown eyes, short-slim build
Bio: A short, meek man, Kent was born in Canada. Originally from a relatively poor background, he's spent his entire adult life waiting for a break in his writing career to take him to fame. In the mean time, he makes ends meet by editing the local newspaper. A modest living that affords him little luxury, which works well for him as he's rather plain. A real meat and potatoes kind of guy. Sadly, what makes him a good editor drains from his material, and as a result his writing feels dry and lifeless. His wife, Louise, works as a nurse at the local hospital and they live together in a small house near the city. Their relationship has its faults, but they always work through it. Kent feels accomplished in his own way. He has a wife who loves him, a stable job, and he doesn't want anything to change...

Code: ( Character Sheet) [Select]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Job:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Sex:[/b]
[b]Ethnicity:[/b]
[b]Negative Traits:[/b]
[b]Description:[/b]
[b]Bio:[/b]

Players
Spoiler: lawastooshort (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Elu (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Greenstarfanatic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: VincValentine (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Hydro of Hydrovia (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Caellath (click to show/hide)

Waiting List
N/A
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 04:10:30 pm by The Anus of Discontent »
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: A Day in the Life (0/5 Players)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 02:51:58 am »

Name: Jacob Rodgersen
Job: Research assistant
Ethnicity: White British
Negative Traits: Mild fear of doctors and needles. Bad hand and finger joints. Obsession with cleanliness and things being in their place. Professional apathy. Habitual tiredness.
Description: Jacob is five foot eleven. His hair is vaguely light brown; his eyes mostly grey. His build is unremarkable but he is generally fit.
Bio: Jacob isn't really from a scientific background, he just fell into research after another more high powered job became too much for him to deal with. He's lived and worked in various European countries and is fairly happily married with one small child. This has resulted in his having greatly disrupted sleep for three years. Really, he just goes to work to pay the bills, but a large research institute isn't the worst place to work at, it has to be said, and at least he can commute on his bike. The half hour ride there and back is the best part of an average working day; picking his daughter up from kindergarten is the best part of the rest of the day. Not really mechanically inclined, he nevertheless enjoys maintaining both his bicycles. He also enjoys cooking, reading to his daughter and practising, although not as often as he should, iaido. He's only ever been able to afford a bokken though and dreams of one day owning a live blade.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:54:07 pm by lawastooshort »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 02:54:29 am »

Middle-class? So no crazy hobos huh?
I'll make a character but first I want that question answered.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 02:56:51 am »

Jacob Rodgersen added to players.

@Ultimuh: Feel free to make a crazy hobo, the only issue is that you'll find yourself ostracized by the group (as a regular crazy hobo would). If you feel like that's an angle you want to pursue, feel free! I'd just recommend something with a little more utility.
Hey, look what I did!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 03:24:43 am »

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:35:25 am by Ultimuh »
Re: A Day in the Life (1/5 Players)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 03:29:15 am »

Far be it from me to judge a person by their name... But Jan Itor the Janitor? Really? Did you miss the part where I asked for creativity?

Rejected on grounds of silliness.
Hey, look what I did!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 03:30:39 am »

Far be it from me to judge a person by their name... But Jan Itor the Janitor? Really? Did you miss the part where I asked for creativity?

Alright, I'll change the name.  :P

edit: Done, better?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:33:16 am by Ultimuh »
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 03:32:41 am »

Alright, I'll change the name.  :P

edit: Done, better?

If you don't want to be serious, you don't have to play.
Hey, look what I did!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 03:34:15 am »

Aaw.. ok.. I just suck at naming.  :P
I'll try better with another character later.
When my brain is more.. ready for stuff.
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 03:34:45 am »

Aaw.. ok.. I just suck at naming.  :P
I'll try better with another character later.
When my brain is more.. ready for stuff.

Probably for the best.
Hey, look what I did!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 03:36:39 am »

Also, looking at your avatar while reading these posts.. yikes!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 03:43:51 am »

Sorry if it feels a little cold, but I've just had poor experiences with players who don't want to put effort into their characters when I'm putting a lot of effort into story. It's a bad mix, and I work to avoid it. I'm not trying to make the most serious thing, but I'd appreciate it if people actually put the same thought and effort into making their characters as I put into the story. Jan Itor and a guy with four names don't really fit with what I'm trying to make. Maybe this just isn't the RTD for you.
Hey, look what I did!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 03:44:45 am »

Completely understandable.

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 03:58:41 am »

Name: Enrico Sfrigolini
Job: Cook
Ethnicity: White Italian
Negative Traits: eggplantphobia, peanut allergy, favism. He don't give a damn for his own wounds and blood, but faints when seeing someone other's blood or nasty wounds. Or needles.
Description: He is 5.25 foot tall, with a somewhat slim body. Blue eyes, light brown hair.
Bio: Enrico is the son of a farmer and a seamstress. His parents managed to rise from farmhand and tailor helper to farmer and dressmaker with their own farm and dress shop and wanted to launch their only son into the shiny upper classes. So when Enrico turned 18 they shipped him to a prestigious university in order to study mathematics and become a venerable "doctor".
Enrico's parents struggled to give him an education, and somehow they managed to do a better work than most country schools.
However, the university proved to be more difficult than expected, and the expenses more harsh. So enrico had to find some economic aid and tried various little, unsatisfactory jobs until one random autumn day, when the idea of cooking for a living literally steamed out of a potato stew.
Since then he try to balance between two life, the academic one made of parties&panties, sleepless nights and furious study, and the talented cook's one, made of asshole clients, asshole chefs, delicious delicacies and sleepless nights(yep).

please tell me if i screwed something
Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 04:26:38 am »

Enrico Sfrigolini added to players.
Hey, look what I did!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7