Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 338

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 504169 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #4260 on: July 22, 2019, 10:35:04 am »

I've found a way to consistently lucid dream, has worked 2/4 times in a week, when normally i lucid dream maybe once every two or three months.

Set your alarm for 90 minutes before you normally wake up, try to get 6-7 hours of sleep before.  Dont get dressed or turn the lights on, chill out on a chair, browse twitter, and vape.  That sounds weird, but it works.   Nicotine is kind of a stimulant and a depressant at the same time, and if you hit it hard in that fifteen minutes before you go back to bed I think it wakes you up enough to go lucid without making it hard to sleep.

Go back to bed while your head's spinning from the morning nicotine rush and think about lucid dreaming, visualize it.
Shoes...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: July 23, 2019, 02:15:20 pm »

That is bad for you, in numerous ways

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: July 25, 2019, 01:20:46 am »

I remember none of the start of my dream, but all I know is that there was a long buildup. Two people I know irl were placed in a kind of mental facility accessed through a hole in the floor of a street in a major Town. I decided to visit them soon after, while inside I spoke with the people running the place by writing on a piece of paper which would send them a message, with their reply appearing as anothee message on the paper. The mental facility was a long string of rooms in a linear design, with a few rooms off to the side. There was no furniture, no doors, no nothing, except a bed in the room furthest from the entrance, which had to be shared. I went in, walked to the end, and had a rest, since both were asleep, but then discovered through realization of the meta situation that the people running this probably weren’t going to let me out. I sent a message requesting to leave, and ran to the exit, but was replied to with an ominous message talking about how they weren’t allowing me to leave until sufficient ‘change’ had occured. This is around the point when J (One of the people kept there that I knew) appears in the darkness, naruto running towards me in what looks like a sad attempt at making a straitjacket (He could still move his arms). I attempt a kick, and he runs full pelt into me anyway, so I wake up.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: July 26, 2019, 12:24:19 am »

A couple nights ago I dreamed I was in Scandinavia, at an old church. The elderly priest was offering to tell the history to people as they walked by.

I realized I was dreaming, but wondered if I was visiting the place as some sort of astral projection. I explained all this to the priest, who expressed a preference for not being a figment of my imagination.

I told him I earnestly hoped so as well.
Edit:  I lucid dream relatively often, but this is also not the first time I've confronted a dream-character with their own... immateriality?  And been desperate for their reaction.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 12:28:01 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4264 on: July 26, 2019, 12:40:21 am »

In the dream the focus point was on one boy and three of his friends, all four of them were not me, but I took the perspective of two of the four. They walked alongside an old disused harbour where the only ships going on by were a few small powerboats, and one exceptionally large coastal patrol vessel which the captain was doing joyrides through the river in. As the kids are going on by, one of the four pushes in the other two into the river. One of them falls deeper into the river than the other, and both immediately begin struggling hard against the current. When the other makes it to the surface and doesn't see their friend, they go back down for their friend and manage to reach out and grab their hand.

The other friend had been swimming the wrong way, losing track of which way was up, and with new direction and a little more power from their friend, they were able to kick their way up against the river's lower current. The perspective changed at this point to only focus on one of the boys, as the other friend was shouting to just keep kicking as the two held hands fiercely and swam to the river bank - so close, yet kept so far by the current.

Eventually they make it onto the riverbank, at which point the hero kid goes looking for the "friend" who pushed them, but he runs away. The last friend meanwhile begins crying and she starts saying she should've dived in or thought of some other way to help, to which the POV character pushes themselves off the muddy riverbank and replies;
'Don't say that, it makes it sound like I'm dead, but I'm still here.' She remained to watch the sunset until the hero friend came back with some police and they all went home, but the POV character was left alone.

Puzzled, the POV character was startled into action with the appearance of some ghostly apparitions. They were elongated, like a person had been stretched out, and they caught the moonlight as it shone through them. At the end of each long arm, ending in sleeves which entirely covered their hands (it was hard to tell if they had hands at all), two long chains dangled from their ends.

Seeing such a startling sight they ran away as fast as they could, the apparitions clearly trying to corner & apprehend him, like a beast being hunted. Yet the kid knew the area as a local only could and so could always just barely keep one step ahead. Crashing into one of the apparitions, it swung its chains at him, missing barely. The chains wrapped around a street lamp in the narrow alleyway, realising it was stuck, the kid ran up to the angelic apparition and stole a sword from its scabbard, shanking the thing.

The angel went poof, leaving behind the chains, which the kid used to swing from building to building, closely pursued by the rest of the hunting pack. The kid was not as good nor as fast at climbing as the lanky angels, and they would steadily gain ground on him. At one moment an angel managed to wrap its chain around the kid's right chain, but the kid just let go of it and let the angel fall. It hit the ground but seem unfazed, climbing back up immediately.

This war of attrition continue with the kid losing his sword and his last chain, but as he jumped from building to building he began to grow more aware that this was extraordinary feats of athletics from someone who just nearly drowned, and he wasn't even the slightest bit tired even after he was exhausted from the river. He thought this as he scaled down the side of an apartment building, confirming his thoughts completely.

Morning had broken by the time he reached the shopping complex. There the angels blended into the crowd of humans, and the kid set about looking for anything to use to defend himself. One angel grabbed the kid but got stabbed for his troubles, but the arrival of four more sealed off every route of escape - except jumping over a balcony. The kid reckons they can jump off the balcony and grab onto the side of one of the railings and hopefully not fall to their death, but one of the angels successfully grabs him. He uses a can of deodorant and a lighter to persuade the angel to drop him.

At this point the kid falls four storeys onto the ground but is shocked to be completely all right, despite every survival instinct kicking in to try and find a way out. Along the way down the kid notices two demons hiding in the crowd, but the demons don't intervene to help or hinder him, they just observe. The kid steals a watergun and runs into a little organic bakery, filling the watergun with organic oil whilst barricading the front door.

Outside the bakery an angel and demon are talking about the kid learning that gravity didn't hurt anymore, and the angel is accusing the demon of telling the kid that, while the demon said it considered telling the kid - but the kid discovered on his own. The angel continued by saying that one of them had to take the kid, to which the demon said the shadow parliament obliges.

Cut to the kid flammenwerfing the demon with the organic oil thrower, but the demon is almost completely unaffected by the fire, and begins strangling the kid. The kid stabs the demon in its left eye, to which the demon laughs and says it still has its first & third eye (it opens its third eye at this point). From there, the perspective changes to a second demon. She tells the first demon that it's eye for an eye and pulls out a stiletto dagger, taking the winded-kid and placing him against a mirror, which she called a glass. Yet rather than stabbing the kid's eye out, she stabbed the demon's third eye, making it inconsolably pissed off.

The two ran away through the store's back door whilst a small host of angels and demons kicked through the barricade, much to the alarm of the shoppers.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: August 03, 2019, 10:00:47 am »

I was on Slowbeef's VN Book Club podcast, arguing that HBomberGuy had been picked up by the Youtube Algorithm when Retsupurae mocked an FMV game he starred in. 

The game was Starship Troopers but without the sci fi (so just fascism) and was actually a dream I had just finished.  I had been an eager soldier just out of training, taking a long train ride to the front, when one of us died to an equipment malfunction.  We had to return home and attend a funeral where a propagandist lauded our comrade's many victories against the enemy.  At the end, agents roamed the pews confiscating notepads and laptops, trying to catch people who'd dared to take notes on the lies.  I managed to hide my laptop just in time but they were on to me.

But yeah apparently (in the next dream) all that was an FMV game, Hbomberguy starred in it, and Retsupurae riffed it, and the Algorithm did something really perplexing with that data.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: August 03, 2019, 10:15:19 am »

I dreamt the other night that Winnie the Pooh was out on a killing spree. His target?

Senders of chain letters.

Pooh would hunt down the chain-letterers, slaughter 'em... then he would cut their fingers off and stuff 'em into the fluff of his left ear as trophies.
That... that was a long night. And a strange night.
Mostly a strange night.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: August 03, 2019, 12:37:35 pm »

*slowly buts pooh bear suit in the washer machine*
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: August 03, 2019, 12:54:45 pm »

I was some crotchety old struggling author grappling with writer's block in a seemingly dysfunctional domestic environment.
This guy, who I believe was my son-in-law or some shit, got home with his kids after having stopped at McDonald's or something to get food and their raucous behaviour completely destroyed any hope I had left of getting some work done. Also, that dickhead had apparently misappropriated a bunch of my pages (not sure if they were actually my writing or resources I'd printed, but it was infuriating either way) for his own stupid purposes, which was the last straw. So I decided "fuck it", stormed out, got in my car and drove to the nearest McDonald's myself, where I ordered... a bunch of stuff, probably involving hash browns, and had a fleeting-yet-pleasant interaction with the cute gal who took my order - a brief glimpse of friendliness in this harsh and uncaring dreamscape.

Then I got my food, left and went on my way. This city I lived in appeared unlike any city I can remember being in IRL. It was beautiful, for one thing. Tonnes of old buildings from various eras when architecture was still worth a damn, in a wide, hodgepodge variety of styles that somehow all meshed together very nicely, though perhaps with a slight preponderance (I can't word good right now I'm half asleep, wtf does that even mean) of imposing, harsh buildings of dark stone.

I was walking along admiring all this when it occurred to me that I'd been walking for a bloody long time and I began to wonder if the dream was maybe glitched or something, when it hit me that oh shit, I drove here didn't I? Not exactly walking distance, either, apparently.
So I turned around and began hoofing it back towards the damn Maccas to get my car, but before I could get there I was woken up.   

So yeah, that was a bit weird.
Anyway I'm about to go sleep again now so maybe I'll dream some more stupid shit.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: August 04, 2019, 04:16:31 am »

Walking the mall with my housemate, as we did today for Pokemon-community-day.  He's normal in appearance, but everyone else is 2.5D with cartoonish color schemes.

IRL we met 6 random people at the event and they became were very real, but I just now dreamt of everyone else as... loud noise.  Garish and intrusive.
She/they

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: August 04, 2019, 06:14:38 am »

2.5D?
How does one occupy half of a spatial dimension?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: August 04, 2019, 05:35:28 pm »

It's just a shorthand for 2D sprites in a 3D world, such as in the original Doom and Quake.
Example of a Doom cacodemon, gore warning (though it's blue blood): https://orig00.deviantart.net/b44c/f/2015/215/1/7/hellcaco_sprite_sheet_by_omegalore-d943qna.png

As you move around such a 2.5D sprite, they "rotate" by jumping between the limited set of sprites.  It's a very noticeable effect but it can be nostalgic sometimes.

Point was the massive crowds of people at the mall yesterday felt kinda illusory and artificial.  Speaking with individuals made them "become" real to me.  Nothing super insightful, but the visual metaphor was neat in a trippy way.

I was kinda surprised to see my post though.  I only got 4 hours of sleep last night and I apparently woke up 1 hour in, posted that, and went back to sleep.  I sorta remember but not clearly.  Probably because I was very busy after I woke up, which causes dreams to drift away even faster than usual.
She/they

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: August 11, 2019, 07:46:09 pm »

I remember barely anything of what I believe was a rather long and detailed dream, but I do know that reggae punk seems like a pretty solid idea.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: August 12, 2019, 07:00:37 pm »

I remember barely anything of what I believe was a rather long and detailed dream, but I do know that reggae punk seems like a pretty solid idea.

reggae punk seems like a pretty solid idea.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: August 12, 2019, 07:42:03 pm »

reggae punk seems like a pretty solid idea.
I thought the link would lead to an example of Reggae punk
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 338