Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 338

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 504406 times)

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #4350 on: November 23, 2019, 01:10:09 am »

Had a few odd dreams but not really coherent. I just only remember bits and pieces. Now I finally got one that was really weird.

It started as I was testing a new Milling machine for my work. It was weird due to the fact that there's a control seat on a servo arm that moves to where ever you want with the machine having 3 spindles and two axis rotation table. On top of that the machine was 4 stories tall and had a 30ft square work area. Along with the weird machine, since it was a Japanese machine tool manufacture, it was in a classical Japanese meeting area. The table itself was at kneeling height with pillows with back supports on Tatami mats. The primary colors of the room was lacquer black with red. All designs are of dragons with metallic layering. Bonsai trees and various other decorations everywhere and this place is in America.

I had a few other personnel from my company with myself and the Japanese company had the America management team there for the sale. The meeting had concluded with me telling them what I loved about the machine and what I would have liked to have changed, like the seat not to snap to the locations but to move more slowly. The Japanese personnel was surprised in my manners and gestures. I was starting to become uneasy with a pair of eyes watching me that I cant tell where they are looking at me. The building itself was in a shopping mall that was built in the shopping arcade style.

Both of the companies personnel were going to a restaurant for a celebratory dinner and along the way I got distracted and lost. By the time I noticed that I was lost, I was just circling around a point. No matter what direction I went, I was going into the same spot. In order to make sure that I was not going crazy and was just directionally challenged, I had starting to scuff the floor nearby the walls to make sure it wasnt noticeable to anyone but me. Turned out I was correct that there was something keeping me going out of the area and I finally just was like fuck it and went to the nearest employee only door and ducked through it when someone was going out of it.

At that point, I was walking down a hallway that was a typical building hallway that suddenly turned into a Japanese style hallway. As soon I came across a door, I went through it. Turned out to be a full garden with a hot spring. In the garden was a young lady that was about enter the hot spring part of the garden still robed but was very surprised when I opened the door. I was also surprised because I didn't know what I was going to see.

I said "Sorry miss." A quick bow. "I wasn't trying to intrude into your sanctuary but I got lost and now I am just running around to find my way out. Is this a shoeless area?"
      She nods still in shock there's me in a collared shirt and black dickies with my "nice" work boots standing in front of her. I remove both my boots and socks and tie them up in a way to let them hang on my neck and keep the soles up to keep anything from  dropping. I was feeling extremely embarrassed for even intruding in her garden. I think she was going to smile at the fact I must have looked ridiculous because I was acting really shy, when (as the best I could figure) an evil spirit that was watching me had formed in front of me just when I was about to exit the garden.

Evil spirit> "Well, you first intrude in my area and now you intrude into her's. Why do you have the tendency to find yourself in places you shouldn't be in...."

Me> "What area?! Well her's, I can't argue but I was just trying to get dinner with my coworkers and the other guys. I wasn't trying to intrude on anyone. I just got caught up in a circular path that I felt there was really no where out. So let me guess, were you the reason why I was like a rat in a maze and had no exit?"

Evil spirit was clapping in a condescending way.
           > "What a smart boy. I was the one who was keeping you from leaving the area. You should not have come here."

Me> "Well, what am I supposed to say to my boss 'I cant go to the demonstration to the machine you're about to buy that I would be working on because a magical ole hag is going to trap me for trespassing when I dont know why I was trespassing. Sorry for the inconvenience, I just dont want bad ju ju messing my uwu.'

At that point, the evil spirit's face contorted and attacked me. I don't know how or if there was a fight but I didnt really "see it" in my dream.

When the fight had ended, I was checking to see if the young lady was hurt. I was surprised when she was happy to see that I had fended off the evil spirit to the point where she was holding me.

After that, I don't remember what else that happened. It was more of a fuzz.

That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: November 24, 2019, 11:49:37 pm »

Yeah, going bald is worse than being bald. You have to do something with the hair you have left so it doesn't look terrible, but you can't make it look good.
You need to embrace it, work it into an overall look of skeevy badassery, like the mullet guy in HEAT.

I had at least one really cool dream last night. Unfortunately I don't remember very well now, but in the first/main one I was playing some survival-type game with a bunch of friends.
You know, survival games, where you schlep around the wilderness trying to scrape together enough materials to build tools and then gradually progress from there? Yeah, except in this one I was playing with a group primarily consisting of IRL friends.
It'd be pretty awesome if I could actually make this happen, but I doubt most of them would be interested... some of them are gamers and one guy I used to play Don't Starve with, but I can't see it actually happening. Trying to organise that friend group is like herding cats at the best of times.

Anyway, this game was definitely inspired by Soulforged, considering some of the items even looked the same, but it was a lot more fast-paced and, well, 3D. For most of what I remember it just looked real, but I think the dream jumped between different perspectives/graphic styles at least once.

Uhmm, what else do I remember... not a lot, really, but later on in the dream when we had a pretty good li'l settlement built up, a couple of strangers appeared on this tiny island nearby, having just washed up/spawned in there.
I was instantly mistrustful. I can't remember my exact reasons (I think they looked pretty shady), but I felt like they were likely to bring outside diseases to our colony, or cause other trouble.

At first I was in favour of either just leaving them there on the tiny, mostly barren island) or allowing them across (can't remember if we had boats or a makeshift bridge like the one I saw in a game last night) only to spear them to death, but I eventually relented and went along with the others' plan to allow them over - but I went and grabbed one of the precious iron spears of which we only had a couple, just in case.

As it turned out, though, one (or two?) of the beings on the island was/were an adorable dog-like creature(s), which I promptly began fawning over and trying to befriend.
The one or two scruffy humans that came with them I mostly ignored, haha. Can't remember how that worked out for everyone, since I think the dream ended around there.

I do remember a much later dream snippet which I initially thought was a continuation in the same game, but now I was playing some zany top-down, shoot-'em-up dungeon crawler, possibly with bullet hell and roguelike elements.
Don't remember much about it except it was multiplayer and I at one point got a bit lost and nearly died after trying to solo some scary room full of bizarre monsters.

There was a lot more to the game; exploration, interesting characters, an in-depth system for leveling up and what-not, but sadly I remember no more than the vaguest of impressions.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: November 24, 2019, 11:56:33 pm »

Had a dream that I was some strange combination of Batman and Commissioner Gordon.  I'd captured the Joker in a hotel, and had him wrapped up in a bunch of silly string for some reason.  I'd also decided I had enough of his crap, and stuffed him in a pizza oven to cook him and finish him off for good.

Unfortunately, he escaped somehow.  I don't remember the details, but I remember being really mad and shooting at him, and threatening that if I caught him again I'd shoot him 70 times instead of putting him in a pizza oven next time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: November 25, 2019, 05:36:01 am »

A remake of the Fellowship of the Ring, but with a shoestring budget and everyone (orcs and elves both) speaking Finnish in the Tampere dialect, complete with the "nääs" verbal tic. If that was a real movie, I'd watch it, just for the trainwreck factor.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: November 25, 2019, 08:00:17 am »

I saw most of Hbomberguy's 2-hour video review of Pathologic right before falling asleep, and here's what my brain did with that...  A three-part game wherein you:

"purify" people with a sledgehammer

Wander a government office in Britain looking for change, which you dump into a gumball machine to pay some specific tax.  The tax collector scoops the change out of a horizontal slit, much of it falls on the ground.

Be Starlord from Guardians of the Galaxy, the player has to defeat that one devil princess from DND who's in a long-term relationship with her father.  I have not seen Guardians of the Galaxy.  She hunts the player around a bizarre alien puzzle world which involves items falling on your head so you can carry them places.  She looks cute and harmless but don't trust her, obviously.

In other words, a surprisingly direct homage to Pathologic
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: November 25, 2019, 08:23:12 am »

What will you call your dream game? If thst is related to Pathological, pathological sounds fun

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: November 25, 2019, 05:33:00 pm »

I'd play it.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: November 25, 2019, 06:22:19 pm »

I would play it too

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: November 25, 2019, 07:10:47 pm »

It is sorta related to a real game called Pathologic.  Here's Hbomberguy's review... analysis... thing which also vaguely works as a walkthrough/LP.  I didn't get to the last half hour or so yet but I pretty much saw the three character's stories.  It's a hard game to summarize accurately, but I'll try:

It's a survival-horror in a town beginning to experience a plague.  But combat is super difficult, you're usually supposed to avoid it and talk to people.  You're (probably) a man of medicine after all, and are trying to find a cure or at least vaccine.  Unfortunately people lie  constantly for their own agendas, you're usually scraping coins together just to eat enough to survive the day, and the game keeps throwing mean curveballs at you.  The two main character's you aren't playing as a total dicks, but in order to survive and save the town you almost have to be a dick yourself; the difference is you can be competent about it.

So yeah - purifying plagued people with clunky melee

Trying to scrounge money and work with a really, really incompetent local government

And everyone's lying to you while you do weird puzzles.  The game is very trippy and moody, particularly as the infection spreads.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: November 26, 2019, 08:22:17 am »

I saw that review, but it boiled down to "This game is horrible to play, just awful, it'll drain your time and sanity, you won't have any fun playing it... but it's a genius work of art." and while I haven't played it myself, the impression I got was "So the game is a failure as a game, but it gets some pretentiousness-points." which I would call an all-around failure that disqualifies it from artistic merit. Nobody gets your message, after all, if the actual experience is impenetrable except to masochists.

But anyway, I came to talk about a dream I had:

There was a large theme park like place, and in the middle was a large unused section of it. There was a weird contest to decide what the theme was going to be for this new section, and people would submit their ideas. A lot of people put in a lot of awesome, cool ideas with a lot of effort put into them, one person though just made a slipshod camcorder recording of me as I tell the person "Hey, stop it, stop recording me!" and this shaky, shitty footage was sent into this contest... and it won. So then the theme park becomes "Joshua Land" or some shit, and I become famous overnight for this idiotic recording that is now a viral sensation, complete with theme park rides and musical numbers that all don't make any goddamn sense. The dream closes as I explore the new Theme Park, just gobsmacked at how moronic it all is and how nonchalantly it encroaches onto my life.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: November 26, 2019, 11:33:20 am »

Last night I dreamt that some city in South America decided to become independent of it's nation, and to secure that it had a bunch of nuclear cruise missiles. The national government didn't believe them so they tried to invade anyway, at which point the rebels launched all their nukes at various other cities and military bases. One of the missiles got stuck in it's silo though and knocked down a bunch of five gallon pales of what I was told was uranium-petroleum gel, and I had to go clean that up, with no supplies, and not get it on my skin. Which didn't work out of course. It was a stupid dream
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: December 06, 2019, 07:50:36 am »

I have a Pomeranian/Chihuahua hybrid. The dream was me somehow lengthening her legs and tail so she could jump on my bed without jumping on the stepping block beforehand

To avoid double posting
I took a nap  at around 15:00 today and dreamed thst I was driving a car or truck, (can’t remember which), but I would also teleport to a bike behind it, then ride the bike for a bit, then teleport back into the vehicle. This process repeated for a while on an empty road before I woke up at around 19:00

I took a nap from around 11:00 to 16:00 on the 11th of December
The dream involved having the family over for something, likely Christmas, I remember that there was a father and his kid from Russia. (I don’t think I have any family from Russia IRL) and I remember asking them to teach me a bit of Russian(I don’t know any Russian)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:59:31 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: December 12, 2019, 05:44:17 am »

Don't remember what else had been going on, but I was somehow sucked into this (visualisation of?) extremely cool, vintage ad for chewing gum that involved the pieces being individually wrapped in paper /crisply-folded paper by a penguin, for maximum coolness - whilst this guy in some kind of captain's uniform swanned suavely around what looked kinda like the deck of a ship offering gum to people.
It sounds ridiculous, but it was really classy. Things may have been all or partly in black and white, I'm not sure.

Also I think various other folks/elements from the main dream I'd been having were incorporated into the dream as well, including whoever had told me about this old brand of gum to begin with.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: December 14, 2019, 10:08:12 am »

I had a weird dream that had a narration to it. I never had a narrated dream.

It started out stating that the world that the dream was in was an attempt of a quantum pocket dimension that is used for a real life MMO style of world. People could come and go as they wish and have no fear of a permanent death or dismemberment but pain still occurs. Within the first month there was three factions of players formed, the first was the Roleplayers. Then the Power Gamers and last was the Adventurers in response of the power gamers.

The Roleplayers were the first to convert the world into a independent nation due to the shear amount of people that want to live in a magical fantasy world and not have to deal with the other world. While the Power Gamers were the second "faction", it was more of a mix of loose alliances than a cohesive nation. The fact that Power Gamers were the second is due to the magical system. Any and all spells are found, used, and reappears somewhere else in the world, much like how the dragon balls in the Dragon Ball universe works. Since that was the rules of the magical system, people started to hoard the spells and use them sparingly. It was the power gamers that found out that one could use the magic spheres as a power source for other spells and magical devices. Thus there was a boom in the search of said spheres.'

The last of the groups to come about is the Adventurers. They came about due to the call of exploration and want to be able to have a force to dissuade attacks from the power gamers. For the most part, the adventurers used the cities and towns that the roleplayers had built to get supplies and a way to find the various dungeons and ruins that are sought out by the adventurers. They did use the various magical spheres but not the same way as the power gamers. They do sometimes work for the power gamers by finding the used spheres that were used and lost.

Near the end of the world set as a game that would transition to an independent living world, the company had instated a balancer to the system. The persons that are the world balancers were called Jesters. They went around and finding all the magical spheres that were the most hoarded and overpowered and keeping them away from the general population.

At this point is where I finally was a part of this dream. The first thing I had seen in the dream was my family was killed and the town I was in destroyed by two people. One of them was a power gamer and the other was the Jester. At that time, the Jester was the only one who was the last of the world balancers that kept inside of the world and was not universally loved. I was one of the survivors that had sworn to kill the Jester and end the reign of terror that she had wrought upon anyone who come across her path.

The dream went through a kind of sequences almost a montage of me trying to find the Jester while becoming an adventurer to pay for the search. I finally found the Jester and was about to kill her. When I had ambushed her and almost to the point of killing her, I saw that she was actually crying and I had to stop. I asked her if she was scared of dying and that was not the case. She was tired of being alone, hated and was happy that someone was about to kill her to put her out of her misery. She did not want to become the Jester but had to because the last Jester was mortally wounded in front of her and transferred both the powers and responsability of a Jester. She was tired of being attacked by everyone and just wanted to stop suffering. Right then, I dont know why I did this but I had threw down the dagger and hugged her. She was stunned and was not prepared for it started to bawl.

From there, the dream went into a sort of flashes of the various adventures that we went on and finally finding someone else to take the roll of the Jester. Near the end of the dream, we were having fun in an inn and the former Jester was about to leave forever when I grabbed her and pressed my head against her stomach and said that I can't have her go anymore. I dont know what to do without her and that I need her to be with me. She was stunned that I have fell in love with her and was grateful that I had told her before she was about to leave. Apparently she was going to leave because she felt like she wasn't needed in the group anymore and just wanted to live peace. She was extremely happy that I loved her because she fell in love with me when I held her in my arms when we first met.

And that is when I woke up. I feel like that there would be more to it but it was an interesting dream.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: December 14, 2019, 01:58:34 pm »

I don't know what brought this dream on, but it was rather trippy.

It was a passive-viewer type dream-

The crew of the original series star trek had entered orbit around a mysterious planet, which they found was inhabited by the descendents of a nortiorious gang of space pirates. The inhabitants were trying their best to make a life on an "extreme conditions" world, with temperate weather, but very high winds, and otherwise very extreme weather. The people were very tall and very strong; able to walk about completely unphased in essentially gale-force winds that were blowing the enterprise crew around in the kind of dramatic style that only that series could depict.  The local vegetation was likewise adapted to the weather, and showed little to no ill effects, as well as the architecture, which I can only describe as 1980s suburban single family dwellings, but completely immune to high winds.

The inhabitants are interested in leaving the planet, but the extreme conditions make it impossible to launch traditional spacecraft. Captain Kirk is in discussions with their leader at the end of a cul-de-sac along with Bones and Spock--

Meanwhile, one of the crew (a very shapely female redshirt african american, but NOT uhura) snaps under the stress, and plays some 80s music (I have heard the song, but cannot find the track, otherwise I would cite it) featuring the lyrical phrase "Come on baby, dance with me!" with female vocals from her oversized bulky tricorder, before using an oversized bedsheet and some rope to create a makeshift parasail, and take off like she is skiing down a domestic avenue, and soaring over the tree-line doing a mid-air dance routine.

That's when I woke up wonder what the f*ck I had just experienced.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 338