Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 338

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 504857 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #4365 on: December 15, 2019, 08:11:53 am »

Sounds like you experienced a interesting episode of Star Trek from an alternate timeline where the show kept going instead of being canceled in 1969.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: December 15, 2019, 08:27:02 am »

I had another dream about a subtly-hellish "heaven".  But this time it wasn't even supposed to be unpleasant, the Entities just didn't understand humanity.  They felt like a collection of AI, like a Stellaris Rogue Servitor situation.  They didn't have bodies (at least not where we were), but they communicated through terminals which emerged from walls.  Or just the way the architecture would change as you travelled.

See, the whole place was themed around transit.  Everyone was constantly traveling, in various directions, but without any sense of final destination.  And it was beautiful!  Long white walkways curled through the sky, almost like a water park but with Apple's smooth "minimalist" shapes.  Very un-natural and featureless.  Impressive though, even beautiful - if only in scale.

The first problem took the form of a cluster of ramps going up to different levels.  They originated at the same point, initially like a stalky plant about the width of a person, before each  stalk curved away into a ramp.  It was a bit non-euclidean, but it was also simply difficult to use.  I had to pull myself a few meters up it before I got to a walkable level, and even then I was stooping at first.

That happened a few times actually, walkways not having enough headroom.  They were clearly supposed to be paths, but then another walkway would be joined from above in such a way that it felt like the bottom of a stairwell, where you couldn't keep going without awkwardly climbing around the corner.

It got more explicit, almost like a game, in an area of light-bridges which required specific timing and possibly step combinations.  Falling wasn't so bad, but it was eerie - kinda like Minecraft, there turned out to be a soft "bottom" where everything got really dark for a sec, before teleporting us back up to try again.  It was eerie since everything was so cheerfully bright other than that.

Well, after a bit of that, I and some other humans managed to communicate a little with the Entities.  A mix between demanding an explanation and begging for mercy, heh, since we had no idea why any of this was.  That's when it turned out to be a misunderstanding, probably.  Communication was difficult, they didn't think the way we do.  But progress was made. 

...Oh what the frick, I nearly forgot the worst part, which was me and a family member fighting over like... nothing.  Trying to reconcile but being unable to.  That sucked.

Later I was flying a prop-plane through a forest with a girl I know.  It was fun dodging through the trees, though I kept thinking I was going to crash!  It kept getting more difficult, and I think I was losing consciousness for brief moments.  But unlike before, we were actually going somewhere - didn't know where, and maybe we... weren't supposed to be?  Ha, I think we had escaped...  And perhaps the Entities were trying to pull us back in some way.  It became very difficult to see out, and we were spinning, but I tried to use the dials to level us out.  We stopped spinning... but we were pointed down.  Grey smoke resolved into dark ground.

Crashing was unpleasant, but we "lived" and were viewing a map.  We had traveled ".2cm", just a smidge on the map, but it was progress.  We'd "discovered" a new landmark, represented by a vaguely-Mythos squiggle, and could now navigate to it.  That was a victory, heh!  And I woke up.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: December 22, 2019, 08:26:31 am »

I was in a heist team, with characters sorta like The Money Heist but it didn't involve getting stuck inside the bank.  More of a classic getaway situation.  Thing is the dream pretty much started at the "end", with my mysterious death.  Being betrayed by someone? 

Fortunately it was a groundhog day scenario, where I and another heister remembered everything.  Our "leader", a nerdy mastermind like the one in the show, hilariously remembered nothing - which was interesting because we suspected him of being deceitful.  The heist was supposed to be bloodless, but there were signs he was sacrificing civilians and maybe even team members.

I and the other heister (a woman my age, that's been a dream-trend a lot recently) watched our decoy van crash and explode like in a movie.  We were unimpressed, having been through all this before.  But this time she noticed someone try to crawl out - obviously, there wasn't supposed to be anyone inside.  My jaded character didn't care that much, but she was *furious*, and her idealism was contagious.  We decided to intentionally fail the heist until we worked out all the mastermind's deceptions.

Of course this had the macabre issue of making sure to die, not be captured, in order to reset the time loop.  I'm not going to go into detail about that.  At one point she was dead, and I was walking the streets kinda procrastinating the reset, thinking.  Being inspired by her noble sacrifice, gripping a piece of brick with her name on it, promising to get to the bottom of this in her memory.  Receiving a message from beyond- "Away From Keyboard" (I never thought I was in a dream or a game this time, so I didn't understand until now)

There was also a bit where I was cornered in a Waffle House, but the Professor had arranged for secret apartment to be built above it... somehow.  I escaped by emerging from there, dressed as an eccentric tech giant, complaining about all the noise.  It worked.

Skip forward to a pretty funny segment of the mastermind professor, completely confounded, sprinting to his double-extra-secret safehouse in a panic.  All his backup plans had mysteriously failed, and nobody was answering their phones!  And when he got to the secret door in the university sub-basement, we opened it for him and smiled daggers.

There was also a dream where me and some other students were protesting a sexy philosopher king, of an Egyptian persuasion (Stargate??) but then war came to the castle and he protected us.  Um, that's probably enough said about that.

My friends and I were somehow visiting my first home, which IRL was bought and heavily remodeled.  In the dream this involved shoving the original version up on a nearby hill, where we were observing it through a window.  Its design kept changing drastically as I remembered it differently.  Eventually the barn was kinda hanging off the attic, suspended in the air by a network of rickety-looking beams.  Piles of fascinatingly ancient stuff (original computer manuals, glassware, bicycle parts...) lay on pallets in the air.  Enticing, but terrifying to imagine climbing to.  Fortunately it collapsed under its imbalanced weight.  "Oh no Rolan, your old home!" "Nah it's okay, now we can actually reach all that cool stuff!"
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 08:56:39 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: December 24, 2019, 07:49:53 pm »

Last night I dreamed my dad was the king of Hell.  The kind of vaguely-chill Hell like in Disgaea, but more cool horns.  Also we were devils because demons are dumb!  There are rules, dammit!

It was still totally opulent and decadent though.  A bit too much so.  He wanted to throw me a [party] to meet some people but I rolled my eyes and told him I was trying a "cleanse".  He threw it anyway and it was actually pretty nice, though I just watched it while playing the original Civilization on my laptop.  Very snug, good time (:
She/they

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4369 on: December 24, 2019, 08:54:02 pm »

Had a recurrence of the zombie dream, been just under a year since I last had it. Wrote about previous instances of it before ITT. This time I managed to save the lives of everyone in the building, getting an entire fifth of the top floor stock full of supplies, getting every door of the interconnected offices barricaded and blinded so nothing outside knew we were inside. Failed to secure the two main stairwells and the fire escapes though, but I never managed to do that in any of the other dreams yet. First time I've had this dream where I managed to save everyone, and I slept from 10 P.M. to 6 P.M.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: December 24, 2019, 10:59:52 pm »

I slept from 10 P.M. to 6 P.M.
The next day? Or did you manage to sleep backwards with one weird trick?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: December 25, 2019, 12:43:00 am »

Been lucid dreaming more frequently lately, maybe once every couple weeks with occasional periods of doing it every couple days.  Interestingly, there's a consistent landscape to the dream, at least when I WILD.  When I just randomly become lucid in a dream then I'm wherever the dream decided to put me, but even then there's certain consistent features, which I want to explore more.

When I WILD/Out-of-Body, I'm always ripped out of bed into a sort of between-space.  It's completely empty, surrounded on all sides by a pinkish twilight sky, it looks a lot like when you fall through the level geometry in a videogame and it's just skybox all around.  It's full of howling wind, that picks me up and throws me around.  I usually keep my eyes closed through here though, to avoid accidentally opening my real eyes before I'm fully in the dream.  Eventually I'm dropped back into bed, now in a dream.  My house is always identical to my real house. 

Outside is a giant maze of suburbs.  Weirdly, while it doesn't match the real suburbs outside my house, it's always the same in the dream.  When I've jumped up into the air to see farther, the suburbs go for miles in every direction, but there's a few discontinuities, like an area full of McMansions with swimming pools, and the periphery breaks down into a dismal rural area full of dilapidated farmhouses and long roads, more like where I grew up.  I've explored this area the most, and gone into several houses.  There are almost never any people in them, but there are occasionally people outside.

More interesting are the sub-levels, which are where I really want to explore, they feel like gateways, to a deeper level of the dream or to something else, and seem to be testing my will to pass through them. 

There's the sawmill, which is sort of behind the dream landscape.  I can't walk or fly there, but if I draw a door on a wall and push it open, the sawmill will be on the other side.  It's got concrete walls and dirt floor, as well as particle-board partitions dividing it up into a sort of maze.  It's full of dead, mutilated bodies.  When I first saw it, I instinctively thought of it as a sawmill, even though it doesn't really resemble one.  There's something in there, patrolling or guarding it, some kind of monster.  I haven't seen it, but I could feel it, and the trick about dreams is that if you feel something in your gut, it's automatically true.  If I want to see what's on the other side of the sawmill I'll have to get past the guardian (you see what I mean about a test?)

The other sub-level is below the dream, underneath the floor.  If I find a tile floor, I can pull it away in sections, and underneath is a blackish red liquid.  It's warm to the touch and very deep.  I've stuck my arm in it but I haven't had the balls to dive in yet.  There are stone structures floating in the depths, but I haven't been able to explore them and I don't know what they are.  This is another one where if I want to see where it leads, I'll have to swallow the fear and dive into an unknown, dangerous place.

One of these days I'm gonna do it.  It's not like I'm in any real danger, but fear is a really powerful thing in dreams.  The dream is your own thoughts, so it conforms to your expectations.  If you let yourself get scared, the dream will give you a reason to be scared.
Shoes...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: December 25, 2019, 01:05:26 pm »

For Christmas, Santa decided to give me a weird ass anxiety nightmare.

I was either playing a Christmas-themed hidden object game, or literally was the protagonist. I would solve one puzzle, but then it gave me two more puzzle solutions. So I'd go solve another puzzle, and that one would give me five more keys. By the time I finally gave up and stayed awake I had dozens and dozens of items, and was moving so fast between puzzles and hidden object scenes that I was physically exhausted IRL.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: December 27, 2019, 10:38:31 am »

Dreamed that I was in some strange combination of the Terminator and X-COM universes.  I don't remember a lot of the details, but Skynet was using UFOs to send terminators around, and I don't remember seeing any aliens.

Anyway, I remember that we were on some kind of important mission to blow up a UFO and that some woman was an important hero character like John Connor.  She ran off to the UFO, and I got a popup notification in my head / vision / HUD I didn't know I had that she'd been killed and that the mission had been failed.  Then I tried to shoot the UFO with an RPG I was carrying, but it was like a spring loaded Nerf weapon with a plastic warhead that just bounced off of the UFO.

Not sure what happened after that.

Honestly, a pretty typical dream for me, with video game elements and weapons that don't work properly.  The only thing that was off was that it was Terminator instead of Aliens.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: December 27, 2019, 11:12:53 am »

Man, I want a less dystopian version of the Max Headroom "Dream Thieves" episode.

Sitting in a movie theater, just watching the weird things that go on in dreams sounds awesome.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: January 02, 2020, 01:50:01 pm »

I went to a New Year's Eve gathering on the bayfront with a bunch of old high school friends.

A girl I had a gigantic crush on in high school started flirting with me, but I flashed her my wedding ring and she thankfully backed off with a minimum of embarassment. Then Aelita from Code Lyoko (not the actress, the character) was there and gave me an autograph where she misspelled my name, replacing my last name with "Esquire" despite sounding nothing alike.

Then it was morning, a lot more of my current friends were there and also ProJared. My current best friend and I started talking shit about him before he walked into the room and I felt the need to apologize in a weirdly intimate manner with a lot of back-rubbing and other really weird touching. Then Mom made wonton soup and Jared started picking the wantons out with his hands, quickly and violently like a bird picks fish out of water. He'd take a bite or two of a dumpling, then drop it back into the soup. I found my lost autograph from earlier, given to me by another girl I'd crushed on in the past.

And then I woke up.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 01:51:42 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: January 03, 2020, 10:59:11 am »

I was holding a tiger cub who bit onto my hand and the mother tiger was charging to us across people. It was like in a huge lobby of a mall. The cub's biting felt very real, as if a cat were biting my hand during the sleep. There is no cat in my home though.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: January 03, 2020, 12:41:59 pm »

I was holding a tiger cub who bit onto my hand and the mother tiger was charging to us across people. It was like in a huge lobby of a mall. The cub's biting felt very real, as if a cat were biting my hand during the sleep. There is no cat in my home though.

I need the salt.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: January 03, 2020, 02:51:57 pm »

There is no cat in my home though.

None that you know of.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: January 06, 2020, 07:39:54 pm »

I don't remember nearly as much of the dream as I'd like, but towards the end it was in/on some sort of fancy, futuristic ship - I'm not sure if it was a spacefaring or seafaring kind of ship, but I'm leaning towards the latter.

Some woman who'd entered the scene (whether she'd been picked up in port recently or what I do not know) went into the bridge/some important room with an older, seemingly rather easily-led male crewmember and seduced him - but not only that, during their very noisy tryst, she used these tiny items that were meant to power (or power up?) the ship to instead enhance the experience.
Some other gal, who I think was also part of the crew, sat outside and tried not to die of laughter throughout as she ostensibly kept a lookout.

Shortly, various members of the crew were being sternly told off by... something, possibly an AI or robot that was in charge of certain aspects of running the ship, such as utilising those power cores or whatever, which this being was now angrily berating them for losing one of. I'm not sure if they were magic, machine or tiny pockets of some rare resource, but in any case they were highly valuable.

The next scene I remember, the ship was docked with another, similar ship (they may have been docked all along but I don't know) and two of the crew, main characters, were preparing to invade the other ship - in hopes of replacing the thing they'd lost, I believe.

Various other folks were there to see them off, some wanting to accompany them, others wanting to get their hands on some crazy weapons from the armoury, such as some kind of badass "fire swords" - but they were informed that said swords couldn't be taken from storage unless one actually had recently experienced fire.

The lead of the boarding party (duo?) however, who had suffered the brunt of the telling-off, quickly armed himself with one. Can't remember exactly how the dialogue went, but one of the two was puzzled by this, like, "How did--" "You/we were fired, remember?", or vice-versa - either version followed by a groan of pun-realisation.

Then, they boarded the other ship at last.
Waiting for them was a rival crew member, who I believed had been an established character in the dream in his own right.
He stepped forward, armed with a sword of his own to face the attackers - and their leader suddenly threw himself to one side, unleashing some telekinetic power of his (powered by science, I think) to throw their opponent backwards into some electrical components of the ship that he was standing by, where he was swiftly and violently electrocuted to death.

I was shocked, from a narrative perspective, at this established, relatable character being snuffed out so casually, but the boarding duo were already pressing onwards, out of the engine room and into - - -

...At that point I was woken up. Sorry.
Anyway I'm going to go wake up some more now, so hopefully this recount actually makes sense, since I haven't proof-read it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 338