Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 338

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 497524 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #4425 on: February 20, 2020, 05:38:52 am »

That's a pretty awesome dream, dude. I like the human-faced turtle especially.
I often have dreams about/inspired by videogames, I wonder why that is...

Dreamed I fought the law, and the law, won. It was musical and everything. What was cool was that I was fully immersed in the bizarre dreamscape, I genuinely felt I was going to be imprisoned in a musical prison for the next 11 years
Something like this?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: February 23, 2020, 08:35:02 pm »

Just had a strange one... The setting was this friendly dinner between my parents and a few other people in the combined dining room/living room of some house.

I, however, was on the floor and using my special vision was coordinating the efforts of our anti-badguy police force, which was comprised of a small dog and a hairless cat.

Badguys would show up as a red blip on my vision, whereupon I'd have to point them out to one of the officers and get them on the case. However, this wasn't the bad guy's first rodeo, and he'd picked the mite character... A bloodsucking little bastard whose blip was a single red pixel, and thereby nearly impossible to see.

After struggling massively (the cheeky bastard even tried latching on to officer dog at one point), we got a hot tip from one of the dinner guests that the mite had reattached himself to a bite site on my dad's ass. I said "What? No, that's just the redness from the bite, it's not...", and then the mite started running. I'd been outdone by someone who didn't even have badguy-vision.

The cat player had, meanwhile, made the smart decision to change his officer character to Mite-hunter, which was... Dunno, some sort of tiny spider? Something like that. Came equipped with a teeny tiny section of clear plastic tubing that I think was supposed to help hunt/trap mites in some fashion, but we never figured out how to use it in a sensible fashion.

The mite managed to get away, but he couldn't have gone far... We scoured local terrain (I must have been just scooching myself across the floor on my stomach, looking under tables and desks and such), bit came up dry.

On a hunch, I checked out one last place... The right cheeky bastard, he'd gone back to the bite site right under our noses! I immediately pulled Mite-hunter into action, putting him down next to the mite and waiting for him to orient himself enough to figure out where the bad guy was.

Finally he caught on, just as the mite was trying to make his escape. A titanic battle of wills occurred, but the mite was no match for the specialized equipment and training or the Mite-hunter... He was eventually locked down, overpowered, and strung up. A menace defeated.

But wait! While the two of them were tussling, another mite player had spawned right underneath them! Disoriented after spawning in, he took a few moments to realize where he was and what was going on. "Bogey on your two Mite-hunter!" (which I now realize I'd gotten backwards, and the enemy was actually at 10 o'clock... But luckily the Mite-hunter player was apparently as much of a dumbass as I was at dispatch, so he caught on and went in the right direction), and he took off after the foe.

The headstart wasn't quite good enough to save him from the wrath of the Mite-hunter, and soon we had another bad guy drained and strung up. Officer dog congratulated us both on a job well done.

I sat back in contentment and thought to myself "Oh, how the mite-y have fallen...", at which point I think the utter stupidity of that pun woke me up.

It's 2:30 AM now that I've finished writing this. What the actual fuck.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: February 24, 2020, 02:00:29 pm »

For some reason last night I dreamed about being in a shootout in an apocalypse!  I had a pistol (not a revolver, oddly/sadly) and I wasn't expected to reload it, just do my part.  Which was brutal.

It was supposed to just be a negotiation with some rivals, but the person we were talking to flashed a coded signal I picked up on.  We sprinted to cover behind a barn, like 5 of us vs 7 of them.  Harvey (from Stardew Valley) didn't quite make it, I wanted to drag him behind the wall but he went unconscious way too fast and they were still shooting.

Long story short...  I got a couple flesh wounds but barely felt it due to shock, and I shot 3 people before I ran out of bullets.  One of those *definitely* died, because I got the drop on him and aimed and...  Most of us survived, and it was fucking awful.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4428 on: February 25, 2020, 06:13:43 am »

Dreamed I fought the law, and the law, won. It was musical and everything. What was cool was that I was fully immersed in the bizarre dreamscape, I genuinely felt I was going to be imprisoned in a musical prison for the next 11 years
Something like this?
Lmao yes, I'm the confused dude in leather

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: February 25, 2020, 01:13:35 pm »

I had a Stephen-King-esque dream.  I was in the persona of a young kid in some weird farm.  At one point snuck into a building for some shenanigans (in the weird abstract way that happens in dreams).  Then went back to the main house, trying to not get caught, because apparently a farmer or something saw us in the other building.  The driveway to said house was ostensibly dirt, but over a grate over some kind of cavern so you could see down into it where the dirt was too thin. 

And we were running, and ran into a barn serving as a garage, but in the back of the barn there were Doors You Don't Open.  Because we were fleeing, we went through that set of doors...  I remember tripping in the dream, and just staring up at the ceiling, but being a young kid was terrified and started screaming.  There weren't any creatures or anything in the dream - just going through Scary Doors and tripping.

I was actually screaming in real life; my wife had to wake me up.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: February 27, 2020, 06:45:14 am »

I remember barely anything of last night's apparently action-packed dream (even after I slept in past my alarm in hopes of continuing it, annoyingly enough), but towards the end myself and possibly another were following this guy as he led us to a place where he'd been once and figured we could probably stay temporarily.

It turned out to be some sort of apartment, I think, a large one filled with rooms leading into rooms, a seemingly ridiculous number of rooms for an apartment or flat.
Our guide was leading us cautiously through these, apparently hoping that the actual owner of the place was away.
Suddenly he stopped, stared at something out of our view, then turned and ran.

Shortly we were all running, as quietly as possible whilst still keeping a good pace through this bizarrely laid-out apartment.
Then, from a doorway or room to one side, evidently either roused by the noise of our passage or commanded by their master to prevent our escape, came a dog dressed in bondage gear??!
I know it was wearing a ball gag, at least.

I dunno, that was fuckin' weird. I think there was some explanation to why that was a thing, but I'm assuming it boiled down to the owner of the apartment being a huge creep.
Anyway, can't remember if or how we escaped or not. *shrug*
Booze is Life for Yoink

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: February 28, 2020, 03:37:56 am »

The dreamI had involved me playing a game that alternated between being 3d first person and a 2d/3d grid game (like this). I was a green humanoid figure and the grid was usually colorful. I had to get from wherever I started to the red particle to win the level, this part was the grid game.(“particle=sphere, in the dream, I thought of every sphere as a particle, as did the game) There were moving purple particles that are surrounded by blue electricity that will shock me on contact, killing me. There were green stationary particles that I didn’t know what they did, so I jumped over them and went around them. There were yellow glowing particles that emit light and don’t hurt me. There were others but I don’t remember them. Sometimes an unknown particle would appear, and I would turn the grid white along with my character to be able to better evade unknown particles. After each level, the game switches to first person 3d, where I enter a garage and have to destroy anything that came in during the level. Everything makes their own distinct sound within the darkness of the garage. (Note:the garage had a door that slid open sideways, not vertically, it slid open left instead of up) Mostly it was the purple electric particles that I had to crush with various objects. All particles can be crushed. There were also 2 caterpillars of different colors. A purple one that feeds on paranoia, and a pink one that I don’t remember what it eats. When a purple caterpillar dies, it glows red and explodes. I learned towards the end of the dream that the explosion also spreads hot gore all around. The dream ended when I placed a purple caterpillar onto a pink one, the purple one turned glowing red and exploded, killing the pink one and covering me with hot gore

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: March 01, 2020, 07:22:24 am »

Daaaangit that was a wonderful and frustrating dream.  I have to write down what I can, because simply savoring it will let more of it drift away.  Gotta hurry...
CW: Hugging

I'm back at college and I meet this tall, surprisingly athletic guy with a heavy british accent.  We hit it off somehow, flirt a bit - he's very intelligent and somehow has time for me, and even goes home with me 8)

So there we are alone in my childhood home, and I'm about to drop the ball and suggest Stellaris, but he goes in the bathroom and keeps casually chatting.  He comes out, we're about to embrace and my mom comes home  :o

I'm mortified, he seems amused.  I send him upstairs as I greet her around a corner, and say I have a friend over.  She understands exactly what's going on and awkwardly congratulates me  :-[.  I scream internally and head upstairs.

Now, the acoustics in my childhood home were... not great for privacy.  Fortunately I have a secret garden up there (yay dreams) complete with a babbling brook.  It's dark and a little eerie, a little fey, a lot romantic really.  The mood returns and we just embrace for a while.  It's weird how muscular he is, that's not generally my thing, but it's paired with this patient, gentle, academic mind with a hot British accent.  I guess he's some ideal British exchange student, ANYWAY hugging him feels really really good, aaaand...

Oh look it's my dad, swimming in a lake.  Along with half of his friends.  And they're waving to us.  aaaaaaaaagh

So fuckit, we go swimming, and that's basically that.  But it's still fun, and it's *okay*.  There will be other opportunities, and in fact my date and I fall asleep on the shore together.  I "wake up" with him in my arms, realizing that this has all been a dream, and it's... disappointing, but very impressive.  We have a beautiful night-time view of the University below.  There are three huge marble pillars, each carrying a glyph of frustration.  I get up and collect my phone, carefully, desperate to photograph them for when I'm actually awake.  But the dream crumbles as I remember that it doesn't work that way...  The visuals will only ever be for me, and I'll only remember if I write down what I can. 

The last one said (translated from concepts) "dang phones".
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: March 01, 2020, 08:09:55 am »

Do you remember the glyphs? Maybe your mind created a new language/writing system

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: March 01, 2020, 09:03:27 am »

That's sorta why I wanted to photograph them.  They were like Kanji, each of the three communicated their idea in a single complicated "character".  At the time I wrote that off as dream-magic, but actually "A resentment of the limitations of technology to record dreams, for now" seems like exactly the sort of thing there would be a Kanji for. 

"Frustration over trying to preserve dreams", maybe.  Seems like a common enough concept.

But I don't think they had an actual fixed form.  When I try to focus too hard on letters or numbers in dreams, they always start to shift nonsensically.  The words can be read, but not the letters.  I don't have very clear visual memory anyway, even when I'm awake.  I remember what happened, but only broad strokes about how things looked.  I don't know what color his hair was - or even if it had a color, if that makes sense. 
She/they

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: March 01, 2020, 09:33:57 am »

It makes sense. I’ve started dreaming about new posts on the forum only to realize that the posts never happened

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: March 01, 2020, 08:41:52 pm »

From what I remember, a group of my IRL friends (and possibly I as well, though I think I was just visiting, kinda like real life) were living in this house that was clearly based on my dad's place that I visited recently, but a bizarro version with different colours, building materials and a conspicuous lack of a nice garden in the wreckage of the backyard.

Funnily enough, most/all of those friends do live together IRL, and I have spent far more time there than at my dad's place (I used to live there, even), but the dream decided to use a reskinned version of the latter instead. Whatever.

Now, weird thing was, we'd recently had to bury some pets (I don't think they were based on anyone's irl pets, which is nice at least) in the backyard, and apparently the house was in something like one of DF's reanimating biomes.

Not quite as severe or dangerous, but apparently if left unattended little bits off of dead things could come back and wriggle around disgustingly.
Apparently we/they had also been living in the place long enough to have the equivalent of a whole childhood's worth of dead pets, you know, assuming the children in question lived in one place for the duration of their childhood and had parents who kept buying them pets.

This led to an issue, as I realised during the dream - if we were gonna dig any more graves in the backyard, we'd start hitting stuff already buried. That, in addition to being horribly disrespectful to the dead, would lead to li'l bits of them coming back to live and making a nuisance of themselves.
I suggested to my friend (kind of the ringleader of the group in most ways) that we could stick the pieces in a sturdy plastic bag (a JB Hi-fi bag, specifically, came to mind) and just throw them out elsewhere, an idea he found kind of amusing for its mischieviousness, but ideally I wanted some way of telling where things were buried, such as grave markers.

Seriously, it seemed like all these pets were just buried willy-nilly across the slopes of the backyard, rather close to the house too - though who knows, perhaps the lower reaches were already occupied.

...Can't remember quite how the dream ended, I seem to have been forgetting stuff rapidly since I awoke. I know I accidentally dug up some dead dog from its very shallow resting place (or maybe it had already been exhumed by some lazy cunt who hadn't gotten 'round to burying it again), which is what prompted most of the earlier discussion.

Not sure how we'd gone through so many pets. Perhaps some of them were actually old ones, buried by previous people who'd lived there?
I believe the reason we'd had to bury multiple critters at once was some weird mechanic inspired by The Sims (which I've been playing, though I don't have a pets expansion), where Sims who've started their life at the same time progress through ages and cark it within days of each other, too.

There was a lot more to the dream, unsurprisingly, including a bizzaro public transport mission (always an exciting and/or stressful dream element), at least one oddball character and some joke I wanted to record here, but I've forgotten it all at this point.

All I can say is, I hope none of my friends' pets (I don't think any of them actually featured in the dream, these were a fictional ones iirc) plan on passing any time soon. :(
Or family's, or anyone else's, for that matter.
Booze is Life for Yoink

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: March 05, 2020, 01:36:43 pm »

I dreamed that the dude who runs a local Vietnamese Pho restaurant near my work was giving me a back massage while his wife (who I've never met) cheerfully placed delicious Asian dishes in front of me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: March 14, 2020, 10:06:38 pm »

A few nights ago, I had a dream where I was in one of my classes and the teacher was speaking the lyrics to a Tom Lehrer song, not singing it. I proceeded to sing when the teacher spoke, eventually the teacher started singing too. I don’t remember which song it was though

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: March 15, 2020, 01:31:10 am »

Dreamt I went to Walmart with my family, got distracted by an old mechwarrior game they had on sale and all the neat extra content available for it. Then got hungry and tried some vanilla pudding on a nearby shelf. It was nasty, because it was two years expired. I became irrate and started yelling at the manager about not checking their products, and then went through all the food and drugs in my family's cart and discovered almost half of it was likewise expired. I was just so mad, so mad. I woke up, then.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 338