Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 338

Author Topic: The Dream Thread  (Read 502061 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Thread
« Reply #4560 on: October 05, 2020, 10:08:39 am »

Now, when you woke up, did you wake up in the real world, or did it get a bit surreal by supposedly "waking up", but you're actually still dreaming, just your brain thinks it woke up?

I've taken naps, started dreaming, then "woke up" in my dreams. My brain thought it was awake, I resume going about my day, then I actually wake up (usually from an alarm) and I'm hit with the realization that whatever happened before didn't happen in real life. It's an absolute mindfuck every time it happens, and I'm sure there's potential in that as a surrealist/horror concept. Can't remember a thing from those dreams; the sheer confusion wipes my short-term memory.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: October 05, 2020, 06:51:48 pm »

Nah, this was sleep paralysis. Feels different from having a dream of waking up. In the latter case you're still 100% dreaming, while with sleep paralysis you're in some weird limbo state.

The difference feels quite stark to me because as it happens I've experienced both in a short period of time... It's notable that when I finally actually woke up from the false wakeups, the way my room looked was totally different from how I had imagined it. When I woke up from the sleep paralysis on the other hand, I was seeing the exact same thing as I was before, because my eyes were open and I was seeing through them while paralyzed.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: October 05, 2020, 07:09:44 pm »

I had a really vivid dream that I was falsely charged with something and arrested, and I was held in prison and tortured. I managed to get out by killing some guards (somehow) and was on the run. No matter what though, I'd always find myself back at the prison, which now resembled someone's home that I didn't recognize, and I had to keep getting out and running away.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: October 07, 2020, 12:13:10 am »

I've once in my life had an experience where I was vividly dreaming and asleep, but my eyes were open and I was concious of what I was seeing out of them. It was.... sligtly disturbing, tbh.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: October 07, 2020, 12:19:12 am »

Now, when you woke up, did you wake up in the real world, or did it get a bit surreal by supposedly "waking up", but you're actually still dreaming, just your brain thinks it woke up?

I've taken naps, started dreaming, then "woke up" in my dreams. My brain thought it was awake, I resume going about my day, then I actually wake up (usually from an alarm) and I'm hit with the realization that whatever happened before didn't happen in real life. It's an absolute mindfuck every time it happens, and I'm sure there's potential in that as a surrealist/horror concept. Can't remember a thing from those dreams; the sheer confusion wipes my short-term memory.
Usually, those happen because you woke up, but only for a moment. I get those frequently, often several times in a row. They used to be one of the few times I didn't know I was dreaming, but over the past couple of years I got wise to them, so now they're just incredibly frustrating. (I don't actually mind that much and think they're kind of funny, really.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: October 07, 2020, 12:22:43 am »

The frustration is real.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: October 08, 2020, 12:42:14 am »

I had a dream where I attempted to explain what abstract product was and why it was useful to sell instead of real product.  it was awful, because my workplace, a super market, has already asked me to stop using big words like 'obfuscate', 'cogent', or 'baler', and now Im trying to explain why putting out some product that wont sell well will make people buy more product later.

The worst part is all of it is happening now, and while I know the owners/higher management can grasp the concept, the people I work directly with . . . dont.  The 'Head of Plant Operations' gets it, but also is happy to tell me to sell people un-tared paper.  He understands why I record recipes down and save prior orders, but is also happy to not release the data about how much money I netted to me.  He was happy to tell me that I could do what I wanted to in my department, but then was happy to let my worker get herself fired for backmouthing him over something as petty as putting her music on before the store opened.  Is it odd that every single store manager Ive encountered all seem to have some combination of OCD, Spectrum behavior, or social malaise going on?

Dreams that mirror reality too much upset me greatly, because it implies my psychic energy is being tied down.  I should be dreaming about vampires, or high school, or elephants, or something vaguely fantastical, not going to work tomorrow and explaining how people will buy more food when they see more food on display . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: October 22, 2020, 07:45:20 am »

I got deep much-needed sleep last night, and had a dream that felt particularly real.

I dreamed I was driving home, sleep deprived, talking to a family member on my cell phone.  There was some water ahead but I thought it was shallow enough to drive through.  It was not.  My car began sinking and my family member was still chatting away, and I was just groaning as I thought the financial cost of fixing this.  I eventually bothered to undo my seatbelt, my phone floating away still running.  Normally I would have been terrified of drowning, but I was just intensely tired.

I rolled down my (manual) window and got some air, looking at the pond I'd apparently driven into.  Pretty high embankment.  Stupid.  I dove down to my car, it was pretty far down and had rather cartoonishly disassembled on hitting the bottom.  Like some video game, but I didn't notice, just considered that I could at least pull the pieces to shore myself.  I had to dive a few times to find my phone - the screen was cracked now, like in reality.

I don't remember the rest clearly, basically I was taken in by a nice family who lived by the waterfront and worked to eventually repair my car.  I don't remember what made me wake up around 3AM- I think it may have been violent- but once I got my bearings, it was an intense relief to know my car was okay and I was home.  I fell right back to sleep and dreamed of Minecraft projects or something :)

Oh right it was X-Piratez base building but from a first person perspective.  Kinda cramped and feverish but intensely imaginary, in that way sleep can after staying up for too long.

Later analysis:  One thing that struck me about this dream, particularly in retrospect, is that I was myself rather than playing a character.  That's what made the crippling financial blow hurt so much.  I was considering my real world options for this disaster.

It was a manifestation of a concern I've been trying to ignore.  Once again I've been afraid to sleep because I know "I" have something to say.  Thankfully, I've learned to listen and act appropriately to my subconscious concerns.  spoons willing
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:56:36 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MoonstoneFace

• Bay Watcher
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: October 24, 2020, 10:42:51 am »

This was a while ago, but the most memorable and clear dream I've had in years.

The dream started with me in the TARDIS. It looked more like the inside of a lighthouse, round with white plaster walls and cheap looking pine furniture, but I knew it was the TARDIS. Some sort of Dream Knowledge, I suppose. The Doctor was there, but she wasn't one I had seen before because she was quite a bit older than the current one, and had different hair. She asked me whether I had an Uncle Leroy. I said no.
She pointed at a chair, which was distinct because it was of a finer wood than the rest of the furniture, and a bronze plaque was fixed to the backrest which said UNCLE LEROY. I do not have an Uncle Leroy in real life.
Then there was a dark stairway leading straight and steeply down. I don't know if it had appeared from nowhere or if it was always there. It was dimensionally unclear. I got the idea that Uncle Leroy, whoever he was, might be down there. I peered into the shadows and shouted, "UNCLE LEROY!"
Again, "UNCLE LEROY!"
I was about to shout a third time when I heard a tremendous noise. It was a scuttle made by something very loud, presumably with lots of legs, and it came from the direction of the stairs. It also woke me up. I remain confused.
Quote from: Michael Caine
I am Michael Caine

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: October 24, 2020, 09:20:56 pm »

I had the longest dream in easily a decade I was being moody yesterday evening fell asleep in front of computer woke up and went to bed before 10pm. Im guessing me skipping a few hours of my heavy cannabinoid regiment did the trick. I was never a big fan of my dreams but this time it seems to have strung something vaguely abandonment issue themed (edit im leaving out discussions which i cant recall, i wonder if we even speak an actual language in my dreams, but i was pretty stressed at all times) together across the different scenes and barely cohesive narrative.

So we were strolling around touristicly in some small town like we have them in belgium and britain and other parts of europe,where every street is narrow and looks like a dark alley because they weren't made for cars when they were made hundred of years ago. I was with one of my best friends, and two people we knew from highschool who weren't exactly defined but I can only think of two other people who fit the mold. They were ahead of us like scouting most time. Then we found (or I insisted?) on a place to eat I was pretty hangry I think. I think it was here that I lost consciousness idk it was a long dream, presumably this part just processed me loosing consciousness recently when my dentist gave me a second shot of lidocain.

Next scene Im in some appartement, I guess its night now, it is well established everybody had been super worried from me loosing consciousness. My friends are out, there is only one of the hosts is left with me, she told me a reason - I don't remember the wording of - why she hadn't gone with, I just remember it sounding kind of BS like I wasn't gonna faint again, but I didn't mind she was very nice and somewhat cute. Somehow the thing escalates into her wanting to have sex despite me being somewhat dismissive... I think I was worried she had a bf I didn't know about? Anyway I remembered  we had ordered food before I passed out, so while we were getting intimate the holy quest ignited in me and I couldn't be dissuaded from going to get my food.

(this is more akin to my usual dream, i want to do something but can't because there is too much other shit I need to do first, though tbf its seldom  the choice between two things i like)

Next scene I'm back at the restaurant, while I step in I see my friends in front of their mostly untouched meals and my dish already emptied (silly monkey-dwarf brain). So I loose my shit and start being really annoying and aggressive. I think the scene ends with my friend admitting they ate my dish and the thing fizzling out in everybody feeling stupid about their recent behaviour and kind of silent.

Next scene we are in some other apartment and it's super crowded there is like a big party, a host (from the first apartment iirc) comes back in from outside announcing discretly and sarcastically things are gonna get pleasant. Two huge men step in, they are threatening in size but also just plain fat, a bit like the black bodyguard from breaking bad/BCS (huwie?) I think one of them simply was that actor and the other one basically a white clone. They start bullying some guy like "did you call the cops stupid?" everybody is super silent and awkward eventhough the level of violence hardly exceeds hitting the guy with a empty plastic bottle. Anyway I feel it's about me, preparing to mouth off like "look I don't know what kind of operation you guys are worried about but if you think not calling an ambulance for randos passing out in the street is gonna attract less attention you are stupid". As I sigh loudly to get the attention before talking, I wake up drenched in sweat. 
let

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: October 25, 2020, 11:51:02 am »

I dreamt I was back at my elementary school and had too much stuff falling out of my backpack to leave class and go to the next one. Then I remembered I had already graduated college and must be dreaming.

I decided to stay asleep and head home along what was an approximation of my old street, for the nostalgia factor. I had endless farts and was using them to propel myself at high speed through the air above the street. There was some kind of street race with sports cars going on, and I overtook them and passed the finish line (made up of those stanchion posts you find at movie theater lines) just before the leading car. Then I woke up and had to fart.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: October 27, 2020, 11:32:44 am »

Last night I dreamt about nuclear war.

It's an odd and unhappy series of dreams.

The first dream, I'm by myself in a house or apartment. I hear on the news that a nuclear weapon has detonated somewhere in the US. The dream plays out like a dry, sad movie, like one of those unbearable movies made by Hollywood like it's normal life. I'm sitting around my apartment, worried about various things: nuclear fallout on the wind, how I will get food, will society continue to function, how's my family doing, what are they doing, should we consolidate for survival, all that stuff.

The second dream, now there are people around. But it's largely the same situation. Everyone is depressed, despondent, unsure if they should try to go on with their lives or if there is even a "life" to go back to. We commiserate, share our loneliness and worry as a group, experience some community. At some point I'm alone in my house or apartment, and some dudes come in clearly intending to just steal everything. I shout at them, two of them magically disappear. But one big oaf just keeps coming, with no intention of backing down. So I jump on him, and end up stabbing him multiple times with a pen knife until the collapses.

The third dream, I'm stepping out on to the deck at my mom's house and look up. The sky is a dark, dark blue at midday, like there's a film filter over it. And there, standing tall in the sky, is the mushroom cloud. I wake up immediately. Not like bolt upright in bed, but completely awake. It's about 5:30 in the morning, I've been asleep for maybe 4 hours. Getting back to sleep after that was tough.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: October 27, 2020, 10:44:44 pm »

I dreamt I was back at my elementary school and had too much stuff falling out of my backpack to leave class and go to the next one. Then I remembered I had already graduated college and must be dreaming.

I decided to stay asleep and head home along what was an approximation of my old street, for the nostalgia factor. I had endless farts and was using them to propel myself at high speed through the air above the street. There was some kind of street race with sports cars going on, and I overtook them and passed the finish line (made up of those stanchion posts you find at movie theater lines) just before the leading car. Then I woke up and had to fart.

Lucid dreams are nice. I have them relatively often compared to other people I've talked to.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: November 01, 2020, 07:28:15 pm »

I was tasked as gatekeeper for a promenade of weird creatures.  Wasn't a problem.  The only difficulty is that I got bored.  I could go into detail into how absurd the creatures got, but some of them might be "offensive"\.

I wandered away at one point and got called back
At one point I was
enchanted by an
illithid

that was nice.
boss broke me out of it,on the whole I was a bad goon but it was a good dream.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:29:47 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Autohummer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: November 02, 2020, 01:47:02 am »

I found myself fighting against three 19-metre-tall Dementors from Harry Potter. I was piloting a Unicorn Gundam somehow equipped with Fin Funnels from the Nu Gundam, I had the Zeta's beam rifle, but it was stuck in beam saber/bayonet mode. Amuro Ray was my wingman, piloting, of all things, an XFA-27 with the special Solvalou livery from Ace Combat 7. Bright Noah served the role of AWACS from (I presume) the Ra Cailum. The battle took place at around the Kármán line, and since I could see only blue beneath my feet, over probably the Pacific Ocean.

First, I sent the Funnels to attack and distract the Dementors, before charging in with the beam bayonet. I slashed one with it but it was stuck firmly inside its body, forcing me to leave the weapon behind. The second Dementor used the opening to attempt to suck out my cockpit, in response, I punched it in the face, repeatedly. The third Dementor was circling around to attack me from behind, and I called out for Ray to help, who fired at the Dementor enough that it broke off to chase Ray instead.

Noah radioed in, mentioning another battle involving the Getter Team, and that they will be retasked to reinforce us once they have finished on their front. Our mission was to hold out until they arrive and then eliminate all hostiles. Although Dementors were supposed to be immaterial in the source material, they seem not immune to conventional weapons here, although they were highly resistant to them. We carried on with the battle, defeating two of the Dementors between the two of us, and Shin Getter-1 arrived just in time for us to finish off the last. All this happened with the Main Title of Char's Counterattack as the BGM.

It is a pleasant departure from the usual helpless nightmares that I have, although in the awake world, I am the kind of person who detests Gundams as a tactical weapon and is a space fighter advocate. I suppose getting in the wrong cockpit for once is part of the fun?
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 338